RE: [Meditation Society of America] Spirits, Demons, entities while Meditating

  • Thomas R. Strauman
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2004
      Jeff,

      I can understand what you say about religion and mysticism.  I purchased a book about "how to" with psychic phenomenon.  To be frank, I have not read it.  Mainly because at the same time I purchased a book on meditation, Buddhism and Zen.  I thought that before I even started playing with something like that, I should know myself better.

      That said, medititation in it purest form is not religion or paranormal.  It is a tool, by which one learns/discovers/experiences reality and enlightenment.

      I imagine it can also be used as a tool to experience a lot more, but taking a more Zen approach, it is a more passive thing.

      I do know that I will not risk encountering any entities unless I am fully strong enough to deal with them.

      And the direction that my meditation has taken has not been toward such as that, but rather with a focus on forgiveness and lovingkindness.

      So, I guess that I am saying that a meditation-like state to experience the paranormal is not really meditation.

      Tom
    • wisslewj
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 2004
        (I hope i am responding right here lol as I have never done this.)

        Tom, i agree it is more than likely neutral and should increase love
        etc. But the fact is that eventually as you get deeper into
        meditation, it seems you will run into "stuff". I just want to know
        how people prepare that have encountered this. Ya know, advice from
        the front lines so to speak. But thanx for your input and opinion. :)
        Jeff

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas R.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 24, 2004
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "wisslewj"
          <wisslewj@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > I am sure you all know) I believe that all this "mystical" stuff
          > isnt really evil as many christians maintain but more that it is
          > neutral in respect---tools persay. (in fact, to the neutral observer,
          > christianity looks no different than the occult--- god, spirit in us,
          > miracles etc) Most of these "tools" can be documented by science to
          > exist and to be beneficial on our bodies---though science doesnt
          > understand the HOW in alot of it. (for example the theta waves
          > produced in deep meditation have been shown to be extremely
          > beneficial to the healing and energizing of the human body)The brain
          > is an awesome thing!! That said it would seem god has given us
          > humans the biological or intrinsic abillity to reach higher states of
          > consiousness etc. WHY would he allow this if we were not to use it?
          > Hence my reason for saying I feel it is neutral and can be used
          > to "see" clearer. (just like sex can be good/evil or prayer even)
          >
          > OK. So here is my question. (I ramble a bit lol) All of the
          > practicionars of these things tote the benefits to meditation, astral
          > travel, kundalini, lucid dreaming etc. BUT, most also speak of
          > potential "dangers". Now without being religous specific the issues
          > range about encountering evil---satan, demons, "low level" spirits,
          > disembodied entities, elementals, etc.....whatever you wanna call
          > them is irrelevent to me. My point is that there seems to be a
          > general warning that as you enter the spiritual realms you WILL
          > encounter this stuff. Is this true? I have read reports of
          > paranormal activity occuring in regular life, being tormented
          > by "demons", you name it. My question is, what is the reality of
          > this? The possibility? I seek god with my whole heart and soul and
          > desire to be transformed into a holy, godly, and pure individual. I
          > want to serve and be filled with the love of god. (again please no
          > deabate on WHO that god is or isnt) But I am not perfect by any means
          > and I still have evil, or impurity if you will, within me that I can
          > recognize. (non loving characteristics at times) That said, I dont
          > seek to draw more evil into me or around me ya know.
          >
          > Some of the more terrifying reports I have read were with astral
          > projection. (hooded things staring at you as you exit, screaming etc)
          > My opinion is that if these things are real, that one should be
          > prepared for them. How would one prepare? I wuld assume the ability
          > to have a clear will and mind would be essential so as to force any
          > encountered evil away? Again, how does one do this? Just as we
          > wouldnt stroll into a battle without training first I dont believe we
          > should wander willy-nilly into the realm of the unknown without be
          > trained and properly prepared first. Well anyway, thanx for listening
          > to me ramble. lol. I would greatly appreciate any advice and/or
          > opinions as it is my desire to reach the wisdom and love of god not
          > the knowledge and laws of men. Be blessed.

          Yo Jeff,
          First of all, welcome, and thanks for posting this interesting and
          thought provoking letter. But maybe that's exactly what the "problem"
          is. Perhaps we should be stilling and silently witnessing the
          thoughts, not provoking them. To many, it's not fashionable or PC
          these days to say that effort is "good", but I think that for the
          great majority of those who have found what you and we all seek,
          effort 'pre-seeded' the effortless effort. And meditation is a great
          seed planting device. BTW, much of this was just pointed to in an
          excellent post by another non-church saluting Christian, PapaJeff...
          Now, as to worrying about scary higher realms, demons, evils, and
          other "potential dangers", how can anything possibly top the physical
          world we seem to be living in? When we are stuck with nothing but
          reactivity to our inner and outer environment only with our limited 5
          senses, and our everwavering emotions and chattering mind, can we ever
          not be afraid? So, I answer your question with a firm YES!...These
          "things are real". And here's where meditation/self inquiry/spiritual
          practice comes in. These are the tools by which we, as the Army says,
          become all we can be. And with meditation as our tool and effort,
          slowly and suddenly we gain the ability to act, and not just react.
          And the first and only action is simply paying attention. And by
          Grace, with perfect attention, we see that we have always been, and
          are, and always will be the "holy, godly, and pure individual" we have
          been seeking to be. And ... we live happily ever after.