Re: [Meditation Society of America] Intro

  • Bob Hart
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2004
      Hi Cindy, acouple of simple meditations are use a simple mantra, just pick out a meaning less phrase and repeat that as you breath out. (sham.  hum.  sat num.) or one of my favorites is saying a meaning full phrase.  I like using Namaste.  which means the spirit i me salutes the spirit in you. or a short bible verse or any short meaningfull phrase.   namaste Bob
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2004
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, cindy e
        <butterfly10954@y...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone! I am new here and have been meditating on and off for
        a few years. I am trying to redevelop my practice. I am a little
        confused with all the different types of meditation, and am trying to
        decide which one is right for me.
        > I had been taught to focus on my breathing, which works quite well
        for me. But I am also interested in other types of meditation, such as
        mantra meditation, etc.
        > Hope to share and learn from you all!
        > Namaste, Cindy

        Welcome Cindy,
        The mantra most practiced is OM. In issue #8 of our newsletter, The
        Inner Traveler, we had the great blessing of using some of the best OM
        illustrations ever done, in conjunction with an article about OM. They
        are the artwork of Daniel Holeman, who is clearly divinely gifted, and
        is compassionate and gracious enough to be willing to share the
        products of his (he)art-work with us. And gazing at OM, or any other
        holy symbol, is one of the oldest meditation methods. Here is the URL
        for that issue...
        http://www.meditationsociety.com/it81019/index.html
        It is about 2.5MB, so will take a while to download, unless you have a
        high speed connection, but I am confident that you will find it worth
        the wait. I hope this will be of benefit and enjoyment to you.
        Peace and blessings,
        (another) Bob