Intro

  • cindy e
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2004
      Hi everyone!  I am new here and have been meditating on and off for a few years. I am trying to redevelop my practice. I am a little confused with all the different types of meditation, and am trying to decide which one is right for me.
      I had been taught to focus on my breathing, which works quite well for me. But I am also interested in other types of meditation, such as mantra meditation, etc.
      Hope to share and learn from you all!
      Namaste, Cindy

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Bob Hart
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2004
        Hi Cindy, acouple of simple meditations are use a simple mantra, just pick out a meaning less phrase and repeat that as you breath out. (sham.  hum.  sat num.) or one of my favorites is saying a meaning full phrase.  I like using Namaste.  which means the spirit i me salutes the spirit in you. or a short bible verse or any short meaningfull phrase.   namaste Bob
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 17, 2004
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, cindy e
          <butterfly10954@y...> wrote:
          > Hi everyone! I am new here and have been meditating on and off for
          a few years. I am trying to redevelop my practice. I am a little
          confused with all the different types of meditation, and am trying to
          decide which one is right for me.
          > I had been taught to focus on my breathing, which works quite well
          for me. But I am also interested in other types of meditation, such as
          mantra meditation, etc.
          > Hope to share and learn from you all!
          > Namaste, Cindy

          Welcome Cindy,
          The mantra most practiced is OM. In issue #8 of our newsletter, The
          Inner Traveler, we had the great blessing of using some of the best OM
          illustrations ever done, in conjunction with an article about OM. They
          are the artwork of Daniel Holeman, who is clearly divinely gifted, and
          is compassionate and gracious enough to be willing to share the
          products of his (he)art-work with us. And gazing at OM, or any other
          holy symbol, is one of the oldest meditation methods. Here is the URL
          for that issue...
          http://www.meditationsociety.com/it81019/index.html
          It is about 2.5MB, so will take a while to download, unless you have a
          high speed connection, but I am confident that you will find it worth
          the wait. I hope this will be of benefit and enjoyment to you.
          Peace and blessings,
          (another) Bob