More Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2004
      This time we have a 16" skinner with a damascus blade and a moose
      antler handle. The pics have been uploaded into our Photo section (#52
      and 53). There seems to be something similar about learning to
      meditate with learning to make knives. There were many times that
      nothing seemed to be going "right". But with the encouragement of
      others (who really know the process) to persevere, something now
      exists that didn't before. And perhaps there is even a kind of beauty
      that can be shared in this particular "something".
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 25, 2004
        If you check the photo section, I have just added a pic (#54) of my
        latest attempt at knifemaking. It's 14" long and uses a damascus
        blade, tulipwood, nickle/silver guard, and an ancient warthog tusk for
        the handle. It's always a learning experience and very humbling to try
        to do new things in the physical world, and as St. Martha would say,
        learning and humbling is "a good thing".
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 28, 2004
          The new knife (picture #57 in the Photo section) has a birdseye maple
          handle, Solingen blade, and brass guard and pommel. Working at shaping
          these very hard objects is an ancient method to shape (and stop) one
          of the most etheral of substances - your thoughts.
          Message 4 of 5 , May 14 2:44 PM
            As many of you know, I've been posting pics of
            the knives I've been making, and today I've
            posted a photo (#68 in the "Photos" section to
            the left) of the 7 blades I have recently made
            via the stock removal method. They are now being
            heat treated so they will be strong, flexible, sharp,
            and not brittle. When done, I'll add a guard and
            a handle and they will hopefully be beautiful as
            well as functional. I recently saw knife making
            referred to as "The second oldest profession",
            and this made me smile, but also I witnessed my
            thoughts going in a review of just how true this
            is, and I wonder if shaman, or some similar label
            for a wise man/seeker didn't actually precede all
            of the other occupations. I think that wo/man
            most likely was pondering their existence before
            they ever got the idea of selling their body for
            money, or creating tools for survival. And like
            knife making, someone probably realized that there
            is no understanding until the iron (that is our
            mind/body/emotions) didn't have to go through the
            fire and have all the impurities burned out of it
            before we became truly functional, flexible, sharp,
            and strong. I also realized that when heat treated
            to the exact right temperature, steel loses it's
            magnetism, and that's when it's "just right". And
            of course, when a seeker is no longer magnetically
            drawn to anything, is when their freedom begins.
            In any event, I continue to find doing this little
            crafty-type thing to be enriching in some ways and
            ever-endingly a new experience that always keeps me
            alert in the present during the doing of it. And
            after all, isn't that what a good meditation
            technique should be all about.
            Message 5 of 5 , May 22 9:13 AM
              The knife I just put in the Photo section (#69)
              had a brass ball pommel and a thicker handle, but
              then I decided it would be cool if the overall
              design had an infinity sign look to it, so I
              changed the pommel to honey horn and narrowed the
              purpleheart wood handle. So then I witnessed my
              thoughts going towards "Why don't you make the top
              of the blade flow more evenly with the handle line?"
              And that brings up the question of "When is done...
              done?"
              PS: I actually can now answer any question by simply
              asking my wife what she thinks and if she has no
              definite feelings about it, I have been using a
              method for the past year and a half that has worked
              incredibly well...I flip a coin! :-)