Re: Book Reviewers Wanted

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2004
      Thanks to my cuz, Sri Jerryji for the insightful commentary and the
      links to the excellent articles. We also get some pointings directly
      from authors that let us know of the availability of their works. We
      received just such a one today, and found excerpts from many "rave"
      reviews of the book that indeed did stir the desire to read the book....

      "many people find my book helpful in their meditation practice --
      interfaith - as it is a collection of immediate teachings from many
      diverse sources - eastern and western, modern and ancient, etc."

      365 Nivana Here and Now
      Josh Baran
      Thorsons / Element

      www.nirvanaherenow.com

      warm wishes,

      josh

      As far as the articles that deal with how to write book reviews, the
      shorter article lists two things (of 10) that don't apply to The Inner
      Traveler. The author says that you shouldn't review books by people
      you know or love (or hate). But we don't mind at all if you review a
      friend's, or someone you admire's, book. I think this can add an
      insight into where the author is coming from. Also, we only review
      "Suggested Readings", so only favorable reviews will be considered for
      publication. In any event, we hope that our reviews will reach the
      eloquence and wisdom-sharing that you have demonstrated in yours. Thanks!

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Katz"

      review books: http://www.library.dal.ca/how/bookrev.htm

      > There are reviews and there are reviews. It's not too challenging to
      read a book and write a paragraph or two about it. It's another story
      to write something in accord with the guidelines presented at the link
      above.

      > Maybe, Bob, you'd want to create your own set of guidelines so that
      reviewers know what to expect and understand what they have to do.

      http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/bookrevs.html

      > Because a proper review takes many hours -- reading, writing,
      re-writing -- I'm only doing ones for books that I really like and
      that I think are significant contributions to nonduality literature.
      There aren't many of those. I recently did one for The Sacred Mirror:
      http://tinyurl.com/3rxcg.

      > It seems as though the state of publishing in the genre of
      nonduality is one of identifying and presenting nondual people,
      teachers, gurus, and presenting and explaining Advaita or nonduality.
      There are a number of works that are worthwhile and important, but
      there's always a demand for QUALITY CREATIVE works. Jed McKenna's work
      is captivating teaching-fiction. Of course Ken Wilber is on a level of
      his own. Eckhart Tolle struck a chord. Jerry Wennstrom is interesting.
      Pradhhep Chhalliyil took a nondual/Upanishadic look at The Matrix in
      his book. Chuck Hillig has an interesting angle with his simplicity
      style. Deepak Chopra succeeds (but his fiction failed). Byron Katie
      has a whole new shot going. Sentient Publications just published a
      book by a guy named John Levy, who is Wei Wu Wei-like, but is unknown
      and passed away some years ago.

      > I'm not saying these 'interesting' books are more important or
      useful than those that are more traditional in their process, style,
      and format. They're just different, while being effective in a nondual
      way. Because they're different, they're more fun for me to read. And
      because they're different it's possible they could expand the audience
      of readers of nonduality books. Having said all that, ANYTHING that's
      extremely well written interests me, though I don't get around to all
      of it.

      > Those are some thoughts on book reviewing and my take on what I like
      to review and what I think is interesting.