Re: Book Reviewers Wanted

  • Jerry Katz
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2004

      From: medit8ionsociety
      > Subject: Book Reviewers Wanted
      >

      > It seems like it is becoming practically a daily event for us
      > receive books submitted either for review in The Inner Traveler or
      for
      > listing in the Suggested Reading section of our web site,
      Meditation

      href="mailto:medit8@...">medit8@... and let's discuss this opportunity to
      > share your impressions with our
      members and readers.
      > Peace and blessings,
      > Bob Rose,
      President,
      > Meditation Society of America
      Potential reviewers might want to look at this article on how to review books: http://www.library.dal.ca/how/bookrev.htm

      There are reviews and there are reviews. It's not too challenging to read a book and write a paragraph or two about it. It's another story to write something in accord with the guidelines presented at the link above.

      Maybe, Bob, you'd want to create your own set of guidelines so that reviewers know what to expect and understand what they have to do.

      Here's a briefer list of guidelines for reviewing: http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/bookrevs.html

      Because a proper review takes many hours -- reading, writing, re-writing -- I'm only doing ones for books that I really like and that I think are significant contributions to nonduality literature. There aren't many of those. I recently did one for The Sacred Mirror: http://tinyurl.com/3rxcg.

      It seems as though the state of publishing in the genre of nonduality is one of identifying and presenting nondual people, teachers, gurus, and presenting and explaining Advaita or nonduality. There are a number of works that are worthwhile and important, but there's always a demand for QUALITY CREATIVE works. Jed McKenna's work is captivating teaching-fiction. Of course Ken Wilber is on a level of his own. Eckhart Tolle struck a chord. Jerry Wennstrom is interesting.  Pradhhep Chhalliyil took a nondual/Upanishadic look at The Matrix in his book. Chuck Hillig has an interesting angle with his simplicity style. Deepak Chopra succeeds (but his fiction failed). Byron Katie has a whole new shot going. Sentient Publications just published a book by a guy named John Levy, who is Wei Wu Wei-like, but is unknown and passed away some years ago.

      I'm not saying these 'interesting' books are more important or useful than those that are more traditional in their process, style, and format. They're just different, while being effective in a nondual way. Because they're different, they're more fun for me to read. And because they're different it's possible they could expand the audience of readers of nonduality books. Having said all that, ANYTHING that's extremely well written interests me, though I don't get around to all of it.

      Those are some thoughts on book reviewing and my take on what I like to review and what I think is interesting.

      Jerry

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2004
        Thanks to my cuz, Sri Jerryji for the insightful commentary and the
        links to the excellent articles. We also get some pointings directly
        from authors that let us know of the availability of their works. We
        received just such a one today, and found excerpts from many "rave"
        reviews of the book that indeed did stir the desire to read the book....

        "many people find my book helpful in their meditation practice --
        interfaith - as it is a collection of immediate teachings from many
        diverse sources - eastern and western, modern and ancient, etc."

        365 Nivana Here and Now
        Josh Baran
        Thorsons / Element

        www.nirvanaherenow.com

        warm wishes,

        josh

        As far as the articles that deal with how to write book reviews, the
        shorter article lists two things (of 10) that don't apply to The Inner
        Traveler. The author says that you shouldn't review books by people
        you know or love (or hate). But we don't mind at all if you review a
        friend's, or someone you admire's, book. I think this can add an
        insight into where the author is coming from. Also, we only review
        "Suggested Readings", so only favorable reviews will be considered for
        publication. In any event, we hope that our reviews will reach the
        eloquence and wisdom-sharing that you have demonstrated in yours. Thanks!

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Katz"