Book Reviewers Wanted

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2004
      It seems like it is becoming practically a daily event for us to
      receive books submitted either for review in The Inner Traveler or for
      listing in the Suggested Reading section of our web site, Meditation
      Station. So, we intend to start including more reviews with each
      upcoming issue, and will be contacting our web master about expanding
      our Suggested Reading section. For The Inner Traveler, this will
      necessitate having a few volunteers to review the books. We now have
      several excellent ones waiting to be read. If you are interested in
      becoming a reviewer, please feel free to email me at
      medit8@... and let's discuss this opportunity to
      share your impressions with our members and readers.
      Peace and blessings,
      Bob Rose, President,
      Meditation Society of America
    • Jerry Katz
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2004

        From: medit8ionsociety

        href="mailto:medit8@...">medit8@... and let's discuss this opportunity to
        > share your impressions with our
        members and readers.
        > Peace and blessings,
        > Bob Rose,
        President,
        > Meditation Society of America
        Potential reviewers might want to look at this article on how to review books: http://www.library.dal.ca/how/bookrev.htm

        There are reviews and there are reviews. It's not too challenging to read a book and write a paragraph or two about it. It's another story to write something in accord with the guidelines presented at the link above.

        Maybe, Bob, you'd want to create your own set of guidelines so that reviewers know what to expect and understand what they have to do.

        Here's a briefer list of guidelines for reviewing: http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/bookrevs.html

        Because a proper review takes many hours -- reading, writing, re-writing -- I'm only doing ones for books that I really like and that I think are significant contributions to nonduality literature. There aren't many of those. I recently did one for The Sacred Mirror: http://tinyurl.com/3rxcg.

        It seems as though the state of publishing in the genre of nonduality is one of identifying and presenting nondual people, teachers, gurus, and presenting and explaining Advaita or nonduality. There are a number of works that are worthwhile and important, but there's always a demand for QUALITY CREATIVE works. Jed McKenna's work is captivating teaching-fiction. Of course Ken Wilber is on a level of his own. Eckhart Tolle struck a chord. Jerry Wennstrom is interesting.  Pradhhep Chhalliyil took a nondual/Upanishadic look at The Matrix in his book. Chuck Hillig has an interesting angle with his simplicity style. Deepak Chopra succeeds (but his fiction failed). Byron Katie has a whole new shot going. Sentient Publications just published a book by a guy named John Levy, who is Wei Wu Wei-like, but is unknown and passed away some years ago.

        I'm not saying these 'interesting' books are more important or useful than those that are more traditional in their process, style, and format. They're just different, while being effective in a nondual way. Because they're different, they're more fun for me to read. And because they're different it's possible they could expand the audience of readers of nonduality books. Having said all that, ANYTHING that's extremely well written interests me, though I don't get around to all of it.

        Those are some thoughts on book reviewing and my take on what I like to review and what I think is interesting.

        Jerry

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7, 2004
          Thanks to my cuz, Sri Jerryji for the insightful commentary and the
          links to the excellent articles. We also get some pointings directly
          from authors that let us know of the availability of their works. We
          received just such a one today, and found excerpts from many "rave"
          reviews of the book that indeed did stir the desire to read the book....

          "many people find my book helpful in their meditation practice --
          interfaith - as it is a collection of immediate teachings from many
          diverse sources - eastern and western, modern and ancient, etc."

          365 Nivana Here and Now
          Josh Baran
          Thorsons / Element

          www.nirvanaherenow.com

          warm wishes,

          josh

          As far as the articles that deal with how to write book reviews, the
          shorter article lists two things (of 10) that don't apply to The Inner
          Traveler. The author says that you shouldn't review books by people
          you know or love (or hate). But we don't mind at all if you review a
          friend's, or someone you admire's, book. I think this can add an
          insight into where the author is coming from. Also, we only review
          "Suggested Readings", so only favorable reviews will be considered for
          publication. In any event, we hope that our reviews will reach the
          eloquence and wisdom-sharing that you have demonstrated in yours. Thanks!

          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Katz"