Question from Email

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
      xxxx wrote:
      Hi,

      I have read some of your information on your website. I have always
      been interested in meditation, but have very little
      experience with it. As with anything that is worthwhile, it often
      takes time to reap the benefits of actions you commit. Given
      that, I still find a need to motivate me to be continuous in this
      pursuit. All the talk of seeing energy, out of body xp's, and
      astral travel all seems incredible, and of course much more advanced,
      but what can a person in my position experience and how? I
      appreciate
      your time.

      Thank you
    • Tony
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
        Taking a brief time out. Should be back in a few days.

        ...Tony
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 17, 2002
          For everyone, the benefits of meditation need not have any mystical
          components such as OOB xp's, and yet are potentially great and life
          changing. The key thing that I see is that meditators become more at
          peace, and that is the most valuable treasure there is. It transcends
          health, wealth, knowledge, bliss...everything. Of course, this is a
          very general statement, and there are very specific benefits that can
          be cited. In issue #7 of our newsletter, you will find an excellent
          article by Lonny Brown Ph.D, that is titled Why Meditate. It is on
          page 18. Here is the URL where you can see it:
          Issue 7: http://www.meditationsociety.com/it71808/index.html
          I hope this helps.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 25, 2003
            Dragonpuffs wrote:
            >There are lots of simple enough for anyone to do
            >exercises that are neither spiritual or religeous. In time, the
            >linear mind will weaken from less use and the wholistic mind
            >strengthen and then they'll be no contest and no ego corruption
            >neither of light worker nor of ego buster, just a nice shiny strong
            >pot of real space.

            Question from Email:

            Thanks so much for this.....have been lurking
            without actually joining, nor wanting to
            enter the fray.

            Are the exercises to which you refer,
            meditational?
            Which do you happen to recommend?

            Thank you.
          • dragonpuffs7777
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 25, 2003
              They can be all sorts of things. The most pleasant is just taking a
              walk or a ride with someone else driving and, while leaving the
              words in your mind to the barest minimum, reach out an imaginary
              hand and stroke everything you pass until you can actually feel it
              so well that it's as if you were really out there. At first, you
              won't even be able to find the location of what you see, but when
              your brain makes the switch it will know exactly where in space
              everything is.

              When you walk, again let words dwindle, and put your attention away
              from your body and out into what's around you. Imagine that the
              whole world in front of you is your body. Go to places that are
              considered ugly and look at the light and shadow and color instead
              of noticing by definition what it is you see. Imagine you'd been
              blind your whole life and you're seeing for the first time.

              The not pleasant things you can do are done sitting at attention
              lotus style. I say not pleasant because they aren't relaxation type
              meditation but more of mental tricks to confuse your brain and end
              up alot closer in a hurry to the just plain nothing. You'd start by
              forcing your attention forward into the dark space and never letting
              your thoughts or your eyes drift off the far side or into your head.
              You have to be able to look at all the little flickers of lights and
              static fuzz behind your eyelids as if you had your eyes open and
              were reading. Then, project words 'out there' as if you were writing
              them. Use the same short boring words or small phrases, always
              looking as if you could actually see them but never imagining up in
              your head as would be the natural way to imagine, but always forward
              into space. Then, keep changing the distance and the size of these
              same words from tiny in the far distance to middle distance and huge
              right under your nose. Make the sounds of the letters as you do this
              but don't think about their meaning. Mainly concentrate like a first
              grader with his notebook. Do it right before bed, then lay right
              down to go to sleep.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 21, 2003
                Hi,
                I have been practicing the Blank Screen technique
                that I found on your site. As I am able to clear
                away my mental chatter, more and more past memories
                arise, and then I get absorbed in remembering them,
                and the chatter gets worse then ever. It seems that
                I am getting some understanding about the situations
                that I am remembering, but my anxiety is rising, and
                I'm thinking that maybe I should stop meditating or
                change to something else. I hope you can help me.
                Thanks,
                Bill M
              • Jeff Belyea
                Message 7 of 9 , May 21, 2003
                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <
                  no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  > I have been practicing the Blank Screen technique
                  > that I found on your site. As I am able to clear
                  > away my mental chatter, more and more past memories
                  > arise, and then I get absorbed in remembering them,
                  > and the chatter gets worse then ever. It seems that
                  > I am getting some understanding about the situations
                  > that I am remembering, but my anxiety is rising, and
                  > I'm thinking that maybe I should stop meditating or
                  > change to something else. I hope you can help me.
                  > Thanks,
                  > Bill M

                  Hi, Bill -

                  A little book from the hippie era,
                  one of Ram Dass' first, that was
                  fashioned in kind of handwritten
                  notes on a brown paper bag style,
                  BE HERE NOW, is a great mantra
                  to use to bring your focus back
                  to the present.

                  A simple breathing technique,
                  noticing when you are inhaling
                  and when you are exhaling, and
                  allowing yourself to relax as
                  you gently and silently exhale
                  is a good place to start. Silently
                  repeating "Be here now" on the
                  inhale and just relaxing on the
                  exhale, as a way to keep your
                  mind from attaching to memories
                  and narrating them, can be an
                  effective meditation.

                  As you quiet down, the mantra
                  can be released to silence, but
                  invoked if you drift back into
                  memories and narrating them.

                  Best,

                  Jeff
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
                    Hello, I am seeking an effective meditation technique for
                    improving memory and other techniques for improving listening
                    skills in the classroom (I will be an incoming freshman in
                    college) and also for improving studying skills. Any advice
                    is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much..
                    ~~ W ~~
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
                      I wasn't able to help in any way about this. Can you?
                      My name is L**** and i was wondering if you know anything about a lady
                      name Mariam Noor. She is Lebanese and practices meditation at a high
                      level. If you know who she is could you please tell me a way of
                      contacting her? Thank you

                      Hope to hear from you soon