Zen and the Art of Knife Making

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2004
      2 photos of a just finished Damascus bladed and conch shell handled
      knife has been posted in the photo section (#48 and 49). What can't be
      seen well in the pics are the interesting grain patterns that are in
      the conch and how smooth it feels in the hand. I know that some of you
      may find it semi-interesting, and probably most will react by having
      thoughts like "What does this have to do with meditation?" In answer,
      perhaps a pointing to "Kill Bill" will explain. Or not:-) In any
      event, I enjoyed seeing the knife appear.
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5 7:57 PM
        I had to move my knife web site because Epson
        is ending their free photo posting site. They
        recommended Picasa which is run by Google. I took
        their suggestion and set up a new site there.
        The pics are displayed way better than the set
        up that Epson had. Due to this happening, and
        several requests to post more of the pics of the
        knives I've made, here is the URL where you can
        now see them:
        http:tinyurl.com/2ltfyr (the letter L
        is after the 2, not the #1). If you are interested
        in how some of them came about, you can use the
        Search function of this forum...Enter Zen and
        the Art of Knife Making. I still find this activity
        to be a very meditative one, and enjoy and learn
        whenever I witness mySelf involved in it. I'm now
        working on a few damascus blades using exotic woods
        and really appreciate the fractal-like beauty of
        the steel and the amazing patterns of the grains in
        the wood. I love the artwork of several artists we
        have known (IE: www.billyrose.net or www.rassouli.com
        ) but "God" still produces the most amazing artworks
        of all (you should see my grand daughters!!!)
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2009
          Ironwood Damascus Dagger Boot Knife/Letter Opener

          Pics (or at least the ones I take) can't
          show how beautiful Desert Ironwood looks in
          the sunlight and how intricate the patterns
          on the Damascus are. They were created by
          God and merely put together by my hands.
          And when I'm done, I am amazed how well
          the natural one-of-a-kind beauty of the
          materials cover up my less than great knife
          making skills. No wonder I'm so addicted to
          this Mindfulness-necessitating craft.

          To see what I'm talking/writing
          about, see the Photo section, Zen and the
          Art of Knife Making album, pics #47 and 48.