Re: Scouts Requirements for a Religion Badge

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2004
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Could you qualify?:-)
      >
      > RELIGION AND LIFE SCOUTCRAFT BADGE
      > Requirements for the following faiths are available on request from
      > SAHQ and local Scout shops: Christian; Hindu; Jewish; Muslim.
      NOTE :
      > The Examiner must either be a Minister/ Priest of the religious
      body
      > to which the Scout belongs, or some person appointed by his
      religious
      > body.

      That's interesting, Bob. Here is a 'response' to some
      of the religious particularities of scouting, an
      alternative scouting experience called Spiral Scouts:
      http://www.spiralscouts.org/philosophy.php

      I was a boyscout in my late teens. Card-carrying member.
      I think I still have that membership card around here somewhere.
      You might think it impossible for a girl to be a boyscout, but
      it is possible through the 'Explorers' troops. I'm not sure of
      the structure, but our troop was focused on architecture;
      I seem to recall the adult leaders and troop organizers
      were all members of the local American Institute of Architects.
      Not quite like earning a religion badge, though certainly
      parallels may be found.

      Nina
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 25, 2004
        <murrkis@y...> wrote:

        > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Could you qualify?:-)
        > >
        > > RELIGION AND LIFE SCOUTCRAFT BADGE
        > > Requirements for the following faiths are available on request from
        > > SAHQ and local Scout shops: Christian; Hindu; Jewish; Muslim.
        > NOTE :
        > > The Examiner must either be a Minister/ Priest of the religious
        > body
        > > to which the Scout belongs, or some person appointed by his
        > religious
        > > body.
        >
        > That's interesting, Bob. Here is a 'response' to some
        > of the religious particularities of scouting, an
        > alternative scouting experience called Spiral Scouts:
        > http://www.spiralscouts.org/philosophy.php
        >
        > I was a boyscout in my late teens. Card-carrying member.
        > I think I still have that membership card around here somewhere.
        > You might think it impossible for a girl to be a boyscout, but
        > it is possible through the 'Explorers' troops. I'm not sure of
        > the structure, but our troop was focused on architecture;
        > I seem to recall the adult leaders and troop organizers
        > were all members of the local American Institute of Architects.
        > Not quite like earning a religion badge, though certainly
        > parallels may be found.
        >
        > Nina

        Dear Ninaji,
        Very cool to have been a girl boy scout! I'm wondering if that
        experience led you to architecture, or was your interest in
        architecture what led you to that troop? The Spiral Scouts are, as
        they used to say in the pool halls of south Philly, double
        interesting. I had never heard of Pagan scouts before. I witnessed
        myself thinking up some far out merit badges like spell casting,
        hex's, changing enemies into warthogs, etc:-) Thanks for the unique
        pointing.
      • Nina
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 25, 2004
          > Dear Ninaji,
          > Very cool to have been a girl boy scout! I'm wondering if that
          > experience led you to architecture, or was your interest in
          > architecture what led you to that troop? The Spiral Scouts are, as
          > they used to say in the pool halls of south Philly, double
          > interesting. I had never heard of Pagan scouts before. I witnessed
          > myself thinking up some far out merit badges like spell casting,
          > hex's, changing enemies into warthogs, etc:-) Thanks for the unique
          > pointing.
          > Peace and blessings,
          > Bob

          Hello, Bobaroo,

          The spiral scouts are an interesting and sweet phenom. I picked
          up that link in my perusings of 'alternative' childbirth/parenting
          sites. Go deep enough in that direction, and the pointings become
          quite interesting and mind-boggling! It is amazing to see how
          some of these parenting 'movements' tie into various religious
          and political affiliations... even tying into the NRA and some
          of the groups that would find knife-making an important part of
          'unhindered living', so to speak. It might be possible to plunge
          the depths of parenting sites as a basis for a comprehensive
          treatise on the state of all things in the USA... if you think
          about it, parenting is the point of departure for a lot of
          idealistic fantasy about how to influence and alter the state
          of all things. A lot of shoulds and shouldnt's. A lot of desire
          and hope... utterly unselfconscious desire and hope, all laid out
          in 'how-to' and case-studies, to boot. It's fascinating.

          I suppose it was an interest in architecture that led to
          joining that troop, though we all know the fallacies of
          having an interest of one's own, when it comes to participating
          in the familial intrigue over deciding a life's path and
          choosing a college. It was around the time that we were
          using #2 lead pencils to fill in the "career interest"
          bubbles on the scantron sheets we were given at school.
          Architecture fell within the "acceptable" range of careers
          per my parents because they were under the impression it was
          some sort of engineering. I suppose it could have been industrial
          design, or maybe interior design if I had been pushy,
          but certainly not painting or art. Painting and art were
          probably less likely as acceptable paths by their standards
          than english literature or history. A very nuts and bolts
          tribe I hail from.

          Now, if I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now,
          I'd unravel the threads back to the beginning of highschool
          and begin weaving again where natural sciences, biology and
          anatomy left off. Ah, 'it is never too late' and 'no
          experience wasted', right?

          Too bad I can't get anyone to pay me for being my naturally
          inquisitive and inventive self. How do you get someone to pay
          you when your most prolific product is ideas and you can't seem
          to tame the shrewish mind long enough to carry any of them out?

          Nina