Self inquiry/vichara meditation of Ramana

  • Era
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2004
      "The mind turned inwards is the Self, turned outwards, it becomes the ego and all
      the world. But the mind does not exist apart from the Self, i.e., it has no
      independent existence. The self exists without the mind, but never the mind
      without the Self."

      Q. When we enquire within 'Who am I?' who enquires?

      Ramana Maharshi:

      It is the ego. It is only that which makes the vichara also. The Self has no
      vichara. That which makes the enquiry is the ego. The 'I' about which the
      enquiry is made is also the ego. As a result of the enquiry the ego ceases to
      exist and only the Self is found to exist.

      M. Everything we see is changing, always changing. There must be something
      unchanging as the basis and source of all this. It is the Self.

      Sri Ramana has said that whatever one
      experiences, with steadfastness, one
      should remain in inquiry in awareness.

      Harsha

      -please consider joining Greg Goode's NonDualPhil where we ponder on advaita
      and Non-Dual thought

      phil means love in greek

      Greg:

      <http://www.harshasatsangh.com/pages/mag3harsha5.html>