Seeing aura's may be just a quirk of the brain

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2004
      http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=15148
      Seeing someone's aura may be just a quirk of the brain
      Supposed psychic powers that enable people to see auras around others
      may simply be a quirk of the brain, according to a University College
      London (UCL) study of a rare form of synaesthesia where some people
      see colourful 'auras' around their loved ones.

      The case study, reported in the October issue of Cognitive
      Neuropsychology, shows how some people can experience colours in
      response to people they know or words that evoke emotions - a
      condition known as emotion-colour synaesthesia.

      Dr Jamie Ward, author of the study, says: "A popular notion is that
      some people have a magical ability to detect the hidden emotions of
      others by seeing a colourful 'aura' or energy field that they give
      off. Our study suggests a different interpretation. These colours do
      not reflect hidden energies being given off by other people, rather
      they are created entirely in the brain of the beholder."

      In the study, Dr Ward of UCL's Psychology Department documented a
      woman known as GW who could see colours like purple and blue in
      response to people she knew or their names when read to her. Words
      triggered a colour which spread across her whole field of vision,
      whilst people themselves appeared to have coloured 'auras' projected
      around them. For example, "James" triggered pink, "Thomas" black
      and "Hannah" blue.

      A similar test using 100 words rated on a scale of 1 to 7 for their
      emotional impact showed that highly emotive words such as fear or
      hate also triggered colours. Words associated with positive emotions
      tended to elicit pink, orange, yellow, and green, whereas words
      associated with negative emotions triggered brown, grey, and black.

      Whilst it is quite common to describe people or emotions
      metaphorically in terms of colours, GW actually reported vividly
      seeing them. Indeed, when "James" (a pink word) was written in the
      wrong colour (e.g. blue), her reaction times were slowed.

      Synaesthesia is a condition found in 1 in 2000 people in which
      stimulation of one sense produces a response in one or more of the
      other senses. For example, people with synaesthesia may experience
      shapes with tastes or smells with sounds. It is thought to originate
      in the brain and some scientists believe it might be caused by a
      cross-wiring in the brain, for example between centres involved in
      emotional processing and smell perception. Synaesthesia is known to
      run in families.

      GW, 19-year old with an IQ of 112, became aware of her condition
      around the age of seven but refrained from telling her family or
      friends. In GW's case, people acquired a synaesthetic colour as she
      got to know them and the colour was then triggered whenever she was
      presented with the person's name or face.

      In contrast, a case discovered in the 1930s documents a seven year
      old boy who also associated colours with people, but saw strangers in
      bright orange with a black outline which faded to a mild blue and
      finally pink when he got to know them.

      Dr Jamie Ward continues: "The ability of some people to see the
      coloured auras of others has held an important place in folklore and
      mysticism throughout the ages. Although many people claiming to have
      such powers could be charlatans, it is also conceivable that others
      are born with a gift of synaesthesia.

      "GW does not believe she has mystical powers and has no interest in
      the occult, but it is not hard to imagine how, in a different age or
      culture, such an interpretation could arise.

      "Rather than assuming that people give off auras or energy fields
      that can only be detected by rigged cameras or trained seers, we need
      only assume that the phenomenon of synaesthesia is taking place."

      Contact: Jenny Gimpel
      j.gimpel@...
      44-207-679-9739
      University College London
    • Era
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 21, 2004
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        > old boy who also associated colours with people, but saw strangers in
        > bright orange with a black outline which faded to a mild blue and
        > finally pink when he got to know them.
        >
        > Dr Jamie Ward continues: "The ability of some people to see the
        > coloured auras of others has held an important place in folklore and
        > mysticism throughout the ages. Although many people claiming to have
        > such powers could be charlatans, it is also conceivable that others
        > are born with a gift of synaesthesia.
        >
        > "GW does not believe she has mystical powers and has no interest in
        > the occult, but it is not hard to imagine how, in a different age or
        > culture, such an interpretation could arise.
        >
        > "Rather than assuming that people give off auras or energy fields
        > that can only be detected by rigged cameras or trained seers, we need
        > only assume that the phenomenon of synaesthesia is taking place."

        thanks for posting this Bob !

        I believe it to be true

        love, Era

        http://santmat-meditation.net/iam
      • Bob Hart
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 24, 2004
          Dear Group, It was with great interest that I read the post about
          how some reserchers have come to the conclusion that seeing auras
          could be just something the brain does on it own that has nothing to
          do with the person whos aura is being read. I've been seeing auras
          for a number of years and I find this hard to believe, I don't
          normally see Auras unless I try to see them and I see each persons
          aura different on different days and son't see how this has anything
          to do with the reseach that was talked about.