Scouts Requirements for a Religion Badge

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 19, 2004
      Could you qualify?:-)

      RELIGION AND LIFE SCOUTCRAFT BADGE
      Requirements for the following faiths are available on request from
      SAHQ and local Scout shops: Christian; Hindu; Jewish; Muslim. NOTE :
      The Examiner must either be a Minister/ Priest of the religious body
      to which the Scout belongs, or some person appointed by his religious
      body.
      Christian Requirements:
      CUBS (at 10 years old)
      1. SCRIPTURE KNOWLEDGE
      a) Tell in his own words two Bible stories, ONE from each of the
      Sections i and ii:
      i. Abraham and Isaac; Joseph and his brethren;
      ii. The Good Samaritan; The Prodigal Son and find the relative
      Bible passages
      b) Be able to recite the Lord's prayer, or say an adequate prayer
      at a CUB meeting
      2. PRACTICE
      a) Regularly attend Sunday School or your place of worship
      b) Explain how to behave in Church
      c) Give Thanks (Say Grace)
      d) Own his own Bible
      3. UNDERSTANDING Explain in his own words, the meaning of : The
      Day of
      Pentecost; The Ascension
      4. GENERAL Answer questions relating to your religious order and
      procedures at the discretion of the Examiner. who will bear in
      mind your
      age.
      SCOUTS - SCOUTCRAFT BADGE
      1. Be able to pass the tests for the Cub Religion and Life Badge.
      2. SCRIPTURE KNOWLEDGE
      a) Locate in the relevant text in your own Bible and explain two
      stories
      ONE from each of the Sections i and ii:
      i. Moses; Samuel; Gideon
      ii. Jesus calling his Disciples; Healing of the Centurion's
      3. PRACTICE
      a) Regularly attend Sunday School or your place of worship
      b) Give Thanks (Say Grace)
      4. UNDERSTANDING
      a) Explain the meaning of Prayer
      b) Say a short prayer on a given subject
      c) Name the Gospels and the Epistles and know the difference in
      meaning
      d) Explain the difference between the Old Testament and the New
      Testament. State the number of books in each
      5. GENERAL Answer questions relating to your religious order and
      procedures at the discretion of the Examiner. who will bear in
      mind your
      age.
      Jewish Requirements:
      CUBS (at 10 years old)
      1. Recite the 10 Commandments and explain their meaning.
      2. Recite Shma and Blessings over bread, wine, fruit, Sabbath
      Candles
      3. Maintain regular attendance at Synagogue services (Friday
      evening or
      Saturday morning) for at least six months.
      4. Name 5 Jewish Holidays and tell briefly how they are
      celebrated.
      5. Tell the story of the, Exodus from Egypt and the Settlement in
      the
      Promised Land.
      6. Name the first three Kings of Israel and tell something about
      each.
      7. Read a book of Jewish Biography or history and tell about its
      contents.
      SCOUTS - SCOUTCRAFT BADGE
      1. Recite the 10 Commandments and explain their meaning.
      2. Read in Hebrew -V'Ahavta, Avat, Kiddush.
      3. Maintain regular attendance at Synagogue services (Friday
      evening and
      Saturday morning) for at least six months.
      4. Read and interpret Friday evening and Saturday morning
      services.
      5. Describe the work of at least 3 charitable organisations to
      which you
      have made a contribution.
      6. Give brief outline of Jewish history from division of the
      Kingdom
      down to Babylonian Exile.
      7. Name the first 3 Kings of Israel and tell something about
      each.
      8. Read a book of Jewish biography or history and tell about its
      contents.
      Muslim Requirements:
      CUBS (at 10 years old)
      1. Recite the five principles of Islam (Arkaanul Islam) and
      meaning
      2. Islamic calender
      3. Islamic Holidays -meaning and importance of each
      4. Brief history of 3 of the following prophets : Adam, Noog,
      Ebrahim,
      Musa, Eesa
      5. Study of the history of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW)
      6. Study oz selected Ahadeeth
      7. Etiquette of eating, drinking, sleeping, etc
      8. Regular attendance of a madrasah
      SCOUTS -SCOUTCRAFT BADGE
      1. Detailed explanation of principles of Islaam (Arkanul Islam).
      2. Read: Payamber -the messenger. Three parts.
      3. Describe the work of three charitable Islamic organizations.
      4. Study of the Prophet Ebrahim.
      5. Study of Qur'anic verses with regard to parents and the
      relevant
      Ahadeeth.
      6. Fard solaah to be observed.
      7. Regular attendance of a madrasah. .
      8. Possess a translation Qur'aan (Yusuf Ali translation)
      Hindu Requirements:
      CUBS 7 to 10 years
      1. VEDIC MANTRAS All these mantras are to be chanted in Sanskrit
      and
      their English translation read immediately after.
      a) Gayathxi Mantra
      b) Peace Mantra
      c) Meal Time Prayer Mantra
      d) Class/ School Assembly Mantra
      2. MAJOR RELIGIOUS FESTIVALS A short expose of the following Hindu
      Festivals is to be given together with their significance.
      a) Deepavali
      b) Shiva Fatri
      c) Nava Ratri
      3. RELIGIOUS AND OTHER TEXTS Know in brief the contents of the
      following
      texts
      a) The Vedas
      b) The Upanishads
      c) The Ramayana
      d) The Bhagavada Githa
      e) The Thirukurral
      4. STORIES Tell in his own words
      a) A story from the Upanishad
      b) The story of Rama and Sita . . (in brief)
      c) The story of Savitri from Mahabharata
      5. GENERAL
      a) Attend regular religious services
      b) Own his own copy of the Bhagavad Gita ...*
      c) Chant:
      i. The Gayatra mantra every morning
      ii. The peace mantra every night before going to bed
      iii. The meal time mantra before eating *A condensed copy of the
      Gita
      would be included in the instruction manual.
      SCOUT -SCOUTCRAFT BADGE (10 to 14 years)
      1. Chant the Mantras of the Ishwar Upasana and give their
      meanings
      2. Maintain regular attendance at religious services
      3. Know the significance of
      a) Rem Navami
      b) Krishna Asthami
      4. Describe the welfare and humanitarian work of
      a) The Ayran Benevolent Home
      b) The Divine Life Society
      c) The Ramakrishna Centre
      d) Any other body
      5. Study the lives of the following
      a) Swami Vivakananda
      b) Swami savananda
      c) Swami Dayananda
      d) Meera Bai
      e) Thiruvalluvar
      6. Read the contents of "The Elementary teachings of Hinduism" (A
      Veda
      Nikatan Pub.)
      7. Read and know Chapters two, three and four of the Bhagavad
      Gita.
    • Nina
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 25, 2004
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > Could you qualify?:-)
        >
        > RELIGION AND LIFE SCOUTCRAFT BADGE
        > Requirements for the following faiths are available on request from
        > SAHQ and local Scout shops: Christian; Hindu; Jewish; Muslim.
        NOTE :
        > The Examiner must either be a Minister/ Priest of the religious
        body
        > to which the Scout belongs, or some person appointed by his
        religious
        > body.

        That's interesting, Bob. Here is a 'response' to some
        of the religious particularities of scouting, an
        alternative scouting experience called Spiral Scouts:
        http://www.spiralscouts.org/philosophy.php

        I was a boyscout in my late teens. Card-carrying member.
        I think I still have that membership card around here somewhere.
        You might think it impossible for a girl to be a boyscout, but
        it is possible through the 'Explorers' troops. I'm not sure of
        the structure, but our troop was focused on architecture;
        I seem to recall the adult leaders and troop organizers
        were all members of the local American Institute of Architects.
        Not quite like earning a religion badge, though certainly
        parallels may be found.

        Nina
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 25, 2004
          <murrkis@y...> wrote:

          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Could you qualify?:-)
          > >
          > > RELIGION AND LIFE SCOUTCRAFT BADGE
          > > Requirements for the following faiths are available on request from
          > > SAHQ and local Scout shops: Christian; Hindu; Jewish; Muslim.
          > NOTE :
          > > The Examiner must either be a Minister/ Priest of the religious
          > body
          > > to which the Scout belongs, or some person appointed by his
          > religious
          > > body.
          >
          > That's interesting, Bob. Here is a 'response' to some
          > of the religious particularities of scouting, an
          > alternative scouting experience called Spiral Scouts:
          > http://www.spiralscouts.org/philosophy.php
          >
          > I was a boyscout in my late teens. Card-carrying member.
          > I think I still have that membership card around here somewhere.
          > You might think it impossible for a girl to be a boyscout, but
          > it is possible through the 'Explorers' troops. I'm not sure of
          > the structure, but our troop was focused on architecture;
          > I seem to recall the adult leaders and troop organizers
          > were all members of the local American Institute of Architects.
          > Not quite like earning a religion badge, though certainly
          > parallels may be found.
          >
          > Nina

          Dear Ninaji,
          Very cool to have been a girl boy scout! I'm wondering if that
          experience led you to architecture, or was your interest in
          architecture what led you to that troop? The Spiral Scouts are, as
          they used to say in the pool halls of south Philly, double
          interesting. I had never heard of Pagan scouts before. I witnessed
          myself thinking up some far out merit badges like spell casting,
          hex's, changing enemies into warthogs, etc:-) Thanks for the unique
          pointing.
        • Nina
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 25, 2004
            > Dear Ninaji,
            > Very cool to have been a girl boy scout! I'm wondering if that
            > experience led you to architecture, or was your interest in
            > architecture what led you to that troop? The Spiral Scouts are, as
            > they used to say in the pool halls of south Philly, double
            > interesting. I had never heard of Pagan scouts before. I witnessed
            > myself thinking up some far out merit badges like spell casting,
            > hex's, changing enemies into warthogs, etc:-) Thanks for the unique
            > pointing.
            > Peace and blessings,
            > Bob

            Hello, Bobaroo,

            The spiral scouts are an interesting and sweet phenom. I picked
            up that link in my perusings of 'alternative' childbirth/parenting
            sites. Go deep enough in that direction, and the pointings become
            quite interesting and mind-boggling! It is amazing to see how
            some of these parenting 'movements' tie into various religious
            and political affiliations... even tying into the NRA and some
            of the groups that would find knife-making an important part of
            'unhindered living', so to speak. It might be possible to plunge
            the depths of parenting sites as a basis for a comprehensive
            treatise on the state of all things in the USA... if you think
            about it, parenting is the point of departure for a lot of
            idealistic fantasy about how to influence and alter the state
            of all things. A lot of shoulds and shouldnt's. A lot of desire
            and hope... utterly unselfconscious desire and hope, all laid out
            in 'how-to' and case-studies, to boot. It's fascinating.

            I suppose it was an interest in architecture that led to
            joining that troop, though we all know the fallacies of
            having an interest of one's own, when it comes to participating
            in the familial intrigue over deciding a life's path and
            choosing a college. It was around the time that we were
            using #2 lead pencils to fill in the "career interest"
            bubbles on the scantron sheets we were given at school.
            Architecture fell within the "acceptable" range of careers
            per my parents because they were under the impression it was
            some sort of engineering. I suppose it could have been industrial
            design, or maybe interior design if I had been pushy,
            but certainly not painting or art. Painting and art were
            probably less likely as acceptable paths by their standards
            than english literature or history. A very nuts and bolts
            tribe I hail from.

            Now, if I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now,
            I'd unravel the threads back to the beginning of highschool
            and begin weaving again where natural sciences, biology and
            anatomy left off. Ah, 'it is never too late' and 'no
            experience wasted', right?

            Too bad I can't get anyone to pay me for being my naturally
            inquisitive and inventive self. How do you get someone to pay
            you when your most prolific product is ideas and you can't seem
            to tame the shrewish mind long enough to carry any of them out?

            Nina