Re: [Meditation Society of America] Digest Number 1100

  • Dennis K
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2004
      > Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:45:26 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: roya kanani <dream200200@...>
      > Subject: Re: Question From Email
      >
      >When you meditate should you concentrate on your breathing or should
      > you do visulization? What is the difference?
      > L and J

      There is an excellent free online training program in meditation that you
      can download to your PC (it is just a series of HTML documents ... perfectly
      safe, no gimmicks, no hidden stuff), or you can just use it online from
      their web site. It was written and designed by a good man dedicated to
      helping others learn meditation without religious or cultural overtones. I
      have used this training and found it better than any other basic meditation
      training I have ever seen. I have no affiliation with the author, so
      there's nothing in it for me to plug his work. I have corresponded with him
      though, and find him to be just a wonderful person. His name is Ted Phelps
      and his not-for-profit organization is Natural Meditation Initiatives. He
      also just recently came out with a meditation training CD. His training is
      culturally neutral and non-religious. He calls his approach "Natural
      Meditation," in that he finds it to take advantage of our natural ability.

      Here is his bio from
      http://natural-meditation.org/PhelpsBio.htm

      "Theodore K. (Ted) Phelps began studies in meditation and Eastern culture in
      1970 while working on his degree in psychology at Yale. He has practiced a
      variety of meditative forms including Zen, Tai Chi, Transcendental
      Meditation, and Centering Prayer and has taught meditation, both as a
      fulltime profession and as a community service since 1972.

      "In 1994 he formulated the Natural Meditation method for those who do not
      want to meditate in religious or cultural settings and founded Natural
      Meditation Initiatives in 2000. He lives near the Berkshires in New York
      with his wife and daughter and is Director of the State-wide computer
      network for the State University of New York."

      Take a look at the web site:
      http://natural-meditation.org/

      -Dennis K.