Question From Email

    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
      When you meditate should you concentrate on your breathing or should
      you do visulization? What is the difference?
      L and J
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 2, 2004
        Noticing the breath, focusing
        our awareness on the gentle
        and silent inhale and exhale,
        is at the core of almost all
        techniques or combination
        of techniques taught as
        "meditation".

        As this relaxation technique
        quiets the mind, we may
        eventually come to an inner
        silence, where even noticing
        the breath fades away.

        This inner silence is true
        meditation, and over time
        the meditator will come to
        maintain this inner silence
        as an undercurrent of life,
        while being actively engaged
        the daily activities.

        At this point (and this ability
        to be able to maintain the
        inner silence while even
        active can takes years for
        some to achieve) meditation
        becomes our natural state,
        and with that comes a
        peace of mind and freedom
        from stress - or at least
        an effective way to manage
        stress –

        and with it may come a
        natural enlightenment, a
        realization, an awakening,
        an understanding, a sudden and
        startling wisdom, a sense of
        a "new" reality - that was there
        all the time just waiting for us
        to re-discover it and shake off
        the learned way of thinking
        that had us formerly identifying
        ourselves with our thinking,
        our senses, and our intellect.

        Visualization is not meditation
        in the classic sense, but is
        a way to quiet negative self-talk
        and may be a "cousin" to
        meditation, but it is not
        meditation.

        Visualization is a wonderful
        creative strategy for goal
        achievement: imagining
        that we are at an ideal weight,
        motivating us toward success
        in our careers, sports performance,
        or breaking a habit like quitting
        smoking...or jumping over
        a big puddle.

        Visualization is an active
        use of our imagination and
        while a positive and valuable
        tools as mentioned above,
        it engages the thinking process
        and inner "noise", which is
        not the same as the inner
        silence that meditation
        can bring us to experience -
        and the mystical door that
        it can open.

        -- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com,
        medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > When you meditate should you concentrate on your breathing
        or should
        > you do visulization? What is the difference?
        > L and J
      • roya kanani
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004

          When you meditate should you concentrate on your breathing or should
          you do visulization?  What is the difference?
          L and J

          I think when we concentrate in breathing, after short time appeared some image in our mind.

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • ganeshbabu vempati