Re: [Meditation Society of America] Meditation is calming

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2004
      :) Maybe the 'how' IS the 'why'.

      not even two cents,
      Nina

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Santino_50
      <santino_50@y...> wrote:
> [...]
      > > brain dealing with positive emotions -was seething
      > > with activity. More interestingly, the parietal
      > > lobes
      > > showed very little activity. What are parietal
      > > lobes?
      > > These lobes are part of the cerebrum and are
      > > associated with two functions, the orientation of
      > > the
      > > body in space and the perception of space and time.
      > >
      > > To be more precise, the left superior parietal lobe
      > > creates the perception of the body's physical
      > > boundaries and the right superior parietal lobe
      > > creates the perception of physical space outside of
      > > the body. Since, during meditation, the parietal
      > > lobes
      > > are unable to create the perception of space and
      > > linear time that are an essential part of our
      > > consciousness, it gives rise to a sensation of
      > > infinity and timelessness.
      > >
      > > That's one take. Here's another. Dr Michael
      > > Persinger at Laurentian University studied the brain
      > > scans of temporal lobe of epileptic patients who
      > > reported having mystical experiences. He then
      > > artificially induced temporal lobe seizures on
      > > volunteers and their reactions were the same as the
      > > epileptics —-religious dream-like hallucinations and
      > > the volunteers sensing `spectral presence´ in the
      > > room
      > > with them.
      > >
      > > Dr Persinger suggests this could be because of the
      > > presence of the temporal cortex inside the temporal
      > > lobes. The left hemisphere of the temporal cortex is
      > > responsible for one's awareness of self. When the
      > > activity in this cortex gets out of sync, as happens
      > > in a seizure, the left hemisphere perceives the
      > > right
      > > hemisphere as a `sensed presence´ separate from
      > > itself, which could be interpreted as God.
      > >
      > > Another part of the brain that could be playing a
      > > role in religious experiences is the limbic system.
      > > Limbic stimulation is known to bring richness to
      > > experience. Jeffery Saver, a researcher at UCLA,
      > > says
      > > that during a religious experience the limbic system
      > > becomes unusually active, which makes everything
      > > that
      > > happens during an experience especially significant.
      > > In fact, even elaborate religious ceremonies,
      > > involving things like chanting and rituals, make the
      > > brain tag the rituals as different from everyday
      > > activities. This, in turn, triggers activity in the
      > > limbic system leading to a feeling of bliss.
      > >
      > > Skeptics will interpret the scientific findings as
      > > proof that God does not exist, because we can
      > > scientifically replicate mystical religious
      > > experiences. However, Newberg himself says that
      > > while
      > > he has a sense of his own spirituality, his agenda
      > > for
      > > research doesn't include determining whether god
      > > exists or not. That, according to him, is a
      > > different
      > > question from trying to determine the neurology of

    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28, 2004
        Meat that thinks
        and meat that
        has a spritual
        experience?

        Where's the love,
        women?

        (ü)

        <murrkis@y...> wrote:
        > :) Maybe the 'how' IS the 'why'.
        >
        > not even two cents,
        > Nina

        Santino_50
> [...]
        > > > becomes unusually active, which makes everything
        > > > that
        > > > happens during an experience especially significant.
        > > > In fact, even elaborate religious ceremonies,
        > > > involving things like chanting and rituals, make the
        > > > brain tag the rituals as different from everyday
        > > > activities. This, in turn, triggers activity in the
        > > > limbic system leading to a feeling of bliss.
        > > >
        > > > Skeptics will interpret the scientific findings as
        > > > proof that God does not exist, because we can
        > > > scientifically replicate mystical religious
        > > > experiences. However, Newberg himself says that
        > > > while
        > > > he has a sense of his own spirituality, his agenda
        > > > for
        > > > research doesn't include determining whether god
        > > > exists or not. That, according to him, is a
        > > > different
        > > > question from trying to determine the neurology of

      • Nina
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 28, 2004
          Hehe, I got plenty of love,
          right here in my luteinizing
          hormones. Surge, baby, surge!

          If you can't see the love
          in the 'how', then I might ask
          you the similar:

          "Where's the love, man?"

          ;) Nina

          <jeff@m...> wrote:
          > Meat that thinks
          > and meat that
          > has a spritual
          > experience?
          >
          > Where's the love,
          > women?
          >
          > (ü)

          > <murrkis@y...> wrote:
          > > :) Maybe the 'how' IS the 'why'.
          > >
          > > not even two cents,
          > > Nina

          > Santino_50
          > > <santino_50@y...> wrote:
          > > > Hello Group,
          > > >
          > > > My view is that science can tell us the HOW of many
          > > > processes -- the step-by-step interactions that got us
          > > > from crawling creatures to human beings. But the
          > > > questions of WHY are beyond its scope. Because we can
          > > > explain a process does not mean that we understand its
          > > > essential substance. That's the area of religion and
          > > > spirituality. I don't see a conflict. I wouldn't go
          > > > to a scientist for a philosophical or spiritual
          > > > assessment anymore than I would go to a spiritual
          > > > guide for a scientific one.
          > > >
          > > > Just my $0.02
          > > >
          > > > thanks,
          > > >
          > > > Patrick

          > > > Declare Yourself - Register online to vote today!
          > > > http://vote.yahoo.com
        • Jeff Belyea
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 28, 2004
            In the dewing. (ü)