Hi Group! (any great books?)

  • tiara8272
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2004
      Hi everyone!!

      I just joined the group and did so because i am very interested in
      learning more about meditation and spiritual religions. I am very
      very new to the whole idea and have a friend on the west coast who
      just swears by the mentality and will of what he does. I am trying
      to find anyone who has read and can offer a great book on beginning
      this journey. I am not sure what aspect i want to take on all of
      this, etc. budhism, judaism, kabbalah. so any information or
      feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. have a great weekend and i am
      glad to be a part of the group and look forward to talking with many
      of you. Thank you.
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 26, 2004
        "tiara8272" <tiara8272@y...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone!!
        >
        > I just joined the group and did so because i am very interested
        in
        > learning more about meditation and spiritual religions. I am
        very
        > very new to the whole idea and have a friend on the west coast
        who
        > just swears by the mentality and will of what he does. I am
        trying
        > to find anyone who has read and can offer a great book on
        beginning
        > this journey. I am not sure what aspect i want to take on all of
        > this, etc. budhism, judaism, kabbalah. so any information or
        > feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. have a great
        weekend and i am
        > glad to be a part of the group and look forward to talking with
        many
        > of you. Thank you.

        Hi -

        Check out the files section here
        as a starter.

        Best,

        Jeff
        Mystic Heart Meditation
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 26, 2004
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "tiara8272"
          <tiara8272@y...> wrote:
          > Hi everyone!!
          >
          > I just joined the group and did so because i am very interested in
          > learning more about meditation and spiritual religions. I am very
          > very new to the whole idea and have a friend on the west coast who
          > just swears by the mentality and will of what he does. I am trying
          > to find anyone who has read and can offer a great book on beginning
          > this journey. I am not sure what aspect i want to take on all of
          > this, etc. budhism, judaism, kabbalah. so any information or
          > feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. have a great weekend and i am
          > glad to be a part of the group and look forward to talking with many
          > of you. Thank you.
          Welcome!
          We have a nice selection of books in the Suggested Reading section of
          our web site at http://home.meditationsociety.com/reading.html
          While there I suggest you check out the Beginners section, starting
          with the "What Is Meditation" article. Then, if you browse through our
          archives, you will find dozens of "how-to" techniques, and if one or a
          few attract you, actually try to do them. There is no better way to
          learn about meditation than by meditating. And then if you have any
          questions, or want to share your experiences, this is the place.
          Peace and blessing,
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 26, 2004
            <jeff@m...> wrote:

            snip

            > Hi -
            >
            > Check out the files section here
            > as a starter.
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Jeff
            > Mystic Heart Meditation

            Yo PapaJeff and all,

            I went to the files section and saw that the first file listed is an
            eBook of Alister Crowley meditations. I then found that I, as
            moderator, can't delete it, which I was inclined to do, particularly
            as it may be the first thing that a beginner may check, and I have
            great doubts that this would be the "best" this group can offer. So, I
            don't mind debating the rightness or wrongness of deleting this, and
            prefer that we don't have to, but I'd really like to know if anyone
            more compu-savey than me (which would be many), could tell me how one
            goes about getting rid of a file in this group.

            Also, PapaJeff himself has written a very good book, Sunrise at Two
            Lions, that can well serve as a good send off on the Yellow Brick road
            of meditation. It can be found at http://www.mindgoal.com
            BTW, to me, The Living Gita, and The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, both by
            Swami Satchidananda, are the best books you can find.
            PS: The Eagles did it again! Look out everybody else!!!