Religion

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 22, 2004
      At lunch yesterday, a friend
      and I were discussing plans
      for a week-end retreat to be
      built around the central theme
      of "transformation".

      Talking about my experience
      in discussion groups, I commented
      that I had "met" many people
      via the internet who spoke (wrote)
      of transformation, yet felt no
      need to couch it in spiritual
      or religious language.

      Don's reply:

      "Religion exists to support
      transformation."
    • Nina
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 22, 2004
        Hello, Jeff,

        It would seem that while the folks
        you have met via the internet who
        write of transformation feel no need
        to couch it in spiritual or religious
        language, the 'religion' is still there.
        Why else would someone log on every single
        day and read all these messages?

        So, what Don told you, that religion exists
        to support transformation, might be more
        applicable in this situation than first
        glance.

        On the other hand, one might wonder whether
        religion exists as a byproduct of transformation.
        It is all 'how you see it'.

        Nina
      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 24, 2004
          <murrkis@y...> wrote:
          > Hello, Jeff,
          >
          > It would seem that while the folks
          > you have met via the internet who
          > write of transformation feel no need
          > to couch it in spiritual or religious
          > language, the 'religion' is still there.
          > Why else would someone log on every single
          > day and read all these messages?
          >
          > So, what Don told you, that religion exists
          > to support transformation, might be more
          > applicable in this situation than first
          > glance.
          >
          > On the other hand, one might wonder whether
          > religion exists as a byproduct of transformation.
          > It is all 'how you see it'.
          >
          > Nina

          Hello, Neeeeeeeeena,

          Yes, many of the denomination Internetist
          do their daily readers "faithfully". Round and round
          this world goes. Maybe Yahoo! will replace
          Hallelujah! one day, the way "What IS" or
          "This" replaces God.

          A Bob Rose by any other name, would he
          be as sweet? (Posting especially sweet
          and divine messages these last few days.
          Gratitude for a good start to his gods of
          the pigskin contests.)

          Religion as a byproduct of transformation
          seems to be on the same hand as Don's
          bit of wisdom. Chicken or egg?

          Sipping hot lemon water, reflecting on
          days of hazelnut coffee and cinnamon buns.

          Blissful love for you, as always,

          Jeff

          (ü)
        • Santino_50
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 24, 2004
            Ideally, religiosity and spirituality complement each
            other. I practice a religion which has it's "rules &
            regs" delineated at length. Happily, it also has a
            long, rich tradition of meditation and mysticism. It
            seems to me that most mystics--western or eastern
            Christians, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, etc.--use the
            basic tennants of their faith traditions as anchors as
            they find their own spiritual paths. There are very
            religious people who are not particularly spiritual
            and spiritually mature individuals for whom religion
            holds little meaning. I believe, however, that in an
            ideal world, however, each enriches the other.

            thanks,

            Patrick

            --- Jeff Belyea <jeff@...> wrote:

            > "Nina"
            > <murrkis@y...> wrote:
            > > Hello, Jeff,
            > >
            > > It would seem that while the folks
            > > you have met via the internet who
            > > write of transformation feel no need
            > > to couch it in spiritual or religious
            > > language, the 'religion' is still there.
            > > Why else would someone log on every single
            > > day and read all these messages?
            > >
            > > So, what Don told you, that religion exists
            > > to support transformation, might be more
            > > applicable in this situation than first
            > > glance.
            > >
            > > On the other hand, one might wonder whether
            > > religion exists as a byproduct of transformation.
            > > It is all 'how you see it'.
            > >
            > > Nina
            >
            > Hello, Neeeeeeeeena,
            >
            > Yes, many of the denomination Internetist
            > do their daily readers "faithfully". Round and round
            > this world goes. Maybe Yahoo! will replace
            > Hallelujah! one day, the way "What IS" or
            > "This" replaces God.
            >
            > A Bob Rose by any other name, would he
            > be as sweet? (Posting especially sweet
            > and divine messages these last few days.
            > Gratitude for a good start to his gods of
            > the pigskin contests.)
            >
            > Religion as a byproduct of transformation
            > seems to be on the same hand as Don's
            > bit of wisdom. Chicken or egg?
            >
            > Sipping hot lemon water, reflecting on
            > days of hazelnut coffee and cinnamon buns.
            >
            > Blissful love for you, as always,
            >
            > Jeff
            >
            > (�)

            http://vote.yahoo.com
          • Nina
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 24, 2004
              Good morning, Jeff,

              > Yes, many of the denomination Internetist
              > do their daily readers "faithfully". Round and round
              > this world goes. Maybe Yahoo! will replace
              > Hallelujah! one day, the way "What IS" or
              > "This" replaces God.

              Praise be!

              > A Bob Rose by any other name, would he
              > be as sweet? (Posting especially sweet
              > and divine messages these last few days.
              > Gratitude for a good start to his gods of
              > the pigskin contests.)

              Oh, feetball, it is that time of year again.

              > Religion as a byproduct of transformation
              > seems to be on the same hand as Don's
              > bit of wisdom. Chicken or egg?

              Well, I know one at least place where you can have your
              chicken and egg together: the Waffle House. If I recall
              correctly, you get some hasbrowns on the side, too.
              Back in the late 80s when I was workin' at the Waffle House,
              it was only $5.99. What a deal, if you don't count
              the killer indoor air quality.

              > Sipping hot lemon water, reflecting on
              > days of hazelnut coffee and cinnamon buns.

              Try a dash of cayenne in that lemon water
              and make it warm... gare-ON-teed to get you
              up and... uh... going. ;)

              > Blissful love for you, as always,

              Thanks, Jeff, you mushbucket, you. Hehe...

              the ever irreverent,
              Nina
            • Jason Fishman
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 25, 2004
                --- Nina <murrkis@...> wrote:

                > Well, I know one at least place where you can have your
                > chicken and egg together: the Waffle House. If I recall
                > correctly, you get some hasbrowns on the side, too.
                > Back in the late 80s when I was workin' at the Waffle House,
                > it was only $5.99. What a deal, if you don't count
                > the killer indoor air quality.

                Yay! Waffle house!! Are they even in biz anymore? I worked there
                in the 80's too. Now the air quality is even worse though working
                in a printing plant. Shoulda became a structural engineer :-)

                P&L

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail