Re: Meditation and Diet

  • Gene Poole
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 16, 2004
      > "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
      > > "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@m...> wrote:
      >
      > > But overcooked and dense food
      > > not only has questionable nutritive
      > > value, it makes the digestive
      > > system work harder and longer...
      > > and this amounts to "noise"
      > > in the body. A veggie and/or
      > > raw food diet will quiet the
      > > body in only a few days.
      > >
      > > Most noticeable will be the
      > > peaceful feeling upon waking.
      > > When the body is not asked
      > > to digest heavy meals, sleep
      > > is more restful and peaceful.
      > >
      > > Quieting the mind to the
      > > point of allowing for the
      > > meditative effect of relaxation
      > > will only take the meditator
      > > so far if they ignore the
      > > need to quiet the body noise.
      > >
      > > Food for thought.
      >
      > Maybe before breakfast is the wrong
      > time to write this post. :) Nonetheless...
      >
      > I see what you are saying, and have
      > experienced that sort of 'quieting'
      > of the body when eating easily
      > digested food. However, for people
      > who do not have enduring digestive
      > fire, raw food can actually be very
      > difficult to digest.
      >
      > Also, as a person who is prone to
      > 'airy' mentation and physicality,
      > a 'vata' by Ayurvedic language,
      > I have found that eating too much
      > raw food can exacerbate my tendency
      > to be groundless. Too much air.
      > Sure, eating root vegetables is
      > different than eating celery,
      > and should be grounding, but I've
      > noticed that any grounding effect
      > is hard to feel because of the
      > challenge to digestion posed by
      > those tough roots.
      >
      > Oddly enough, one method I use to
      > get a really deep night's sleep
      > is to eat a big meal (including meat)
      > right before going to sleep. I know this
      > is counter to most every recommendation
      > to insomniacs, but it works for me
      > as a 'reset'... I certainly wouldn't
      > do it every night. It works when I'm
      > overtired, when I suspect I won't
      > be able to go to sleep or stay asleep.
      >
      > Well, Jeff, I couldn't help but point
      > out a few counters to your diet
      > proposal. I'm sure that what you've
      > written works for many people...
      > certainly it is what is supported by
      > so many 'spiritual people' (and I
      > don't mean that in any denigratory
      > way).
      >
      > have a good day,
      > and enjoy what you eat..
      > Nina

      Points well and truly made, Nina.

      Anyone desiring to understand the true
      interactions of foods with the body, is
      well-put to study Ayurveda.

      A system of metaphors from TCM
      (traditional Chinese medicine) which
      overlaps with the concepts of Ayurveda:

      Fire 'disturbs' air

      and makes smoke

      which becomes 'Earth' (dirt)

      Wherein:

      Air is consciousness

      Fire is movement

      Smoke is the byproduct of combustion
      and comprises the body (flesh and bone)

      Food grows in dirt

      Digestion (fire) burns food

      which becomes the body

      This cycle is immutable, but
      can be perverted:

      To eat 'fireproof' food

      quenches fire

      Thus the body shrinks:

      To eat food which itself is fire...

      Makes consciousness into a hurricane

      'Sattva' (perfect dynamic balance) results from
      each element perfectly serving the others.

      'You are what you eat' says:

      Imbalance eats imbalance.

      Balance eats balance.

      If this is not perfectly clear, study