Meditation and diet

  • Tony Osime
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 16, 2004
      Hello Everyone

      I have not posted for months but I try to read the daily summaries.

      I found the topic of meditation and diet very interesting. I have a
      question.

      I read somewhere that those who meditate are more aware of their bodies
      and as such are more receptive to the signals their bodies give them in
      the presence of food. I wonder if any of use could share their own
      experience along these lines.

      I understand that it is possible to be so aware that when you shop for
      groceries you can actually feel your body saying yes or no to certain
      foods. I envisage being able to hold a food item and reflect on what
      your body was saying - ignoring perhaps the strange looks from others
      around you!

      ...Tony
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 16, 2004
        Hello, Tony -

        Some naturopathic physicians will place
        homeopathic remedies on client's chest
        and test for muscle strength (or weakness)
        in reponse to the particular remedy.

        Probably the same thing would work (if
        there's any credence to this approach)
        with broccoli...even spinach. Who was
        it who said, "I yam what I yam"? Is that
        the same as, "I am what I eat."?

        For those who do energy work, this
        "body wisdom" would seem plausible.

        Jeff

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tony
        Osime" <tony.osime@f...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone
        >
        > I have not posted for months but I try to read the daily
        summaries.

        > I found the topic of meditation and diet very interesting. I have a
        > question.
        >
        > I read somewhere that those who meditate are more aware of
        their bodies
        > and as such are more receptive to the signals their bodies give
        them in
        > the presence of food. I wonder if any of use could share their
        own
        > experience along these lines.
        >
        > I understand that it is possible to be so aware that when you
        shop for
        > groceries you can actually feel your body saying yes or no to
        certain
        > foods. I envisage being able to hold a food item and reflect on
        what
        > your body was saying - ignoring perhaps the strange looks
        from others
        > around you!
        >
        > ...Tony
      • jodyrrr
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 16, 2004
          Hi Tony.

          I think at least some of the time, and quite possibly most
          of the time, what people are getting as "signals their bodies
          give them" are really just self-fulfilling expectations
          based on the cultural beliefs that person lives under.

          What I mean is, in some cultures, onions are good food.
          In other cultures, onions are bad food. What signals do
          you think people in those cultures will get when they are
          around onions?

          That's how it works for a lot of subtle sensing. It's much
          more about adopted ideology and the expectations inherent
          in that ideology. It's more about what you believe you
          should be seeing rather than what you are actually seeing.

          It's good to eat healthy for many reasons, but I don't
          think it's nearly as important for spiritual reasons as
          most new age people want to believe.

          --jody.

          <tony.osime@f...> wrote:

          > Hello Everyone
          >
          > I have not posted for months but I try to read the daily summaries.
          >
          > I found the topic of meditation and diet very interesting. I have a
          > question.
          >
          > I read somewhere that those who meditate are more aware of their bodies
          > and as such are more receptive to the signals their bodies give them in
          > the presence of food. I wonder if any of use could share their own
          > experience along these lines.
          >
          > I understand that it is possible to be so aware that when you shop for
          > groceries you can actually feel your body saying yes or no to certain
          > foods. I envisage being able to hold a food item and reflect on what
          > your body was saying - ignoring perhaps the strange looks from others
          > around you!
          >
          > ...Tony
        • Nina
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 16, 2004
            <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
            > Hi Tony.
            >
            > I think at least some of the time, and quite possibly most
            > of the time, what people are getting as "signals their bodies
            > give them" are really just self-fulfilling expectations
            > based on the cultural beliefs that person lives under.

            Yea, I've wondered that, too. I think as in most things,
            there are these 'grammars' that people carry around regarding
            food. Grammars are learned, like the little thoughts that
            pop into my head when, say, I think about eating a peanut
            butter and jelly sandwich "Oh no peanuts allergies sugar
            and bread candida". Probably, those thoughts have an
            influence on digestion, in that when I think those thoughts
            my gut hardens. However, I pretty much recognize those
            thoughts as 'planted' rather than 'native'.

            > What I mean is, in some cultures, onions are good food.
            > In other cultures, onions are bad food. What signals do
            > you think people in those cultures will get when they are
            > around onions?
            >
            > That's how it works for a lot of subtle sensing. It's much
            > more about adopted ideology and the expectations inherent
            > in that ideology. It's more about what you believe you
            > should be seeing rather than what you are actually seeing.

            Yep. I do think it is possible, however, to bypass those
            adopted ideologies/expectations and 'listen to your gut'.
            Though often hidden by the racket of adopted
            ideologies/expectation, the verdict of the gut
            doesn't lie.

            Tony, the verdict comes so quickly - instantaneously -
            that no one at the grocery store would suspect a thing.
            Have you ever seen what happens to a young child that eats
            something that disagrees with them? They throw up right
            away. It's very much the same with adults, but we've
            taught ourselves not to reject foods in that way.

            I've found that it isn't necessary to taste or eat the
            food to garner response - picking it up will do. It's
            pretty specific - intestinal backflips, nausea or
            'sudden gas' is a no, a feeling of being nourished, satiated
            or neutral is a yes. Probably others have other signals.

            > It's good to eat healthy for many reasons, but I don't
            > think it's nearly as important for spiritual reasons as
            > most new age people want to believe.

            Yep. Isn't it fascinating how pervasive spiritual dogma
            can be... right down to diet!

            Have a nice evening...
            Nina

            > --jody.

            > "Tony Osime" <tony.osime@f...> wrote:
            > > I understand that it is possible to be so aware that when you
            shop for
            > > groceries you can actually feel your body saying yes or no to
            certain
            > > foods. I envisage being able to hold a food item and reflect on
            what
            > > your body was saying - ignoring perhaps the strange looks from
            others
            > > around you!
            > >
            > > ...Tony
          • jodyrrr
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 16, 2004
              <murrkis@y...> wrote:
              > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
              > > Hi Tony.
              > >
              > > I think at least some of the time, and quite possibly most
              > > of the time, what people are getting as "signals their bodies
              > > give them" are really just self-fulfilling expectations
              > > based on the cultural beliefs that person lives under.
              >
              > Yea, I've wondered that, too. I think as in most things,
              > there are these 'grammars' that people carry around regarding
              > food. Grammars are learned, like the little thoughts that
              > pop into my head when, say, I think about eating a peanut
              > butter and jelly sandwich "Oh no peanuts allergies sugar
              > and bread candida". Probably, those thoughts have an
              > influence on digestion, in that when I think those thoughts
              > my gut hardens. However, I pretty much recognize those
              > thoughts as 'planted' rather than 'native'.

              Discrimination. It works, but must be planted
              in experience rather than belief. Most folks are
              working off of belief.

              > > What I mean is, in some cultures, onions are good food.
              > > In other cultures, onions are bad food. What signals do
              > > you think people in those cultures will get when they are
              > > around onions?
              > >
              > > That's how it works for a lot of subtle sensing. It's much
              > > more about adopted ideology and the expectations inherent
              > > in that ideology. It's more about what you believe you
              > > should be seeing rather than what you are actually seeing.
              >
              > Yep. I do think it is possible, however, to bypass those
              > adopted ideologies/expectations and 'listen to your gut'.
              > Though often hidden by the racket of adopted
              > ideologies/expectation, the verdict of the gut
              > doesn't lie.

              But the gut may not have an answer for everything.
              IOW, some things you put to your gut may not elicit
              a response, yet the mind may try to fill the void with
              a grammar about it.

              > Tony, the verdict comes so quickly - instantaneously -
              > that no one at the grocery store would suspect a thing.
              > Have you ever seen what happens to a young child that eats
              > something that disagrees with them? They throw up right
              > away. It's very much the same with adults, but we've
              > taught ourselves not to reject foods in that way.
              >
              > I've found that it isn't necessary to taste or eat the
              > food to garner response - picking it up will do. It's
              > pretty specific - intestinal backflips, nausea or
              > 'sudden gas' is a no, a feeling of being nourished, satiated
              > or neutral is a yes. Probably others have other signals.
              >
              > > It's good to eat healthy for many reasons, but I don't
              > > think it's nearly as important for spiritual reasons as
              > > most new age people want to believe.
              >
              > Yep. Isn't it fascinating how pervasive spiritual dogma
              > can be... right down to diet!

              And into your sex life, social habits, pretty much
              everything. It forces the individual into a box that
              most likely doesn't fit their lives. What few people
              understand is that you can bend spirituality around
              anything, but you can't necessarily bend yourself
              around any spirituality.

              > Have a nice evening...
              > Nina

              You too. :)

              --jody.
            • Nina
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 17, 2004
                <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                > <murrkis@y...> wrote:
                > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jodyrrr"
                > > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                > > > Hi Tony.
                > > >
                > > > I think at least some of the time, and quite possibly most
                > > > of the time, what people are getting as "signals their bodies
                > > > give them" are really just self-fulfilling expectations
                > > > based on the cultural beliefs that person lives under.
                > >
                > > Yea, I've wondered that, too. I think as in most things,
                > > there are these 'grammars' that people carry around regarding
                > > food. Grammars are learned, like the little thoughts that
                > > pop into my head when, say, I think about eating a peanut
                > > butter and jelly sandwich "Oh no peanuts allergies sugar
                > > and bread candida". Probably, those thoughts have an
                > > influence on digestion, in that when I think those thoughts
                > > my gut hardens. However, I pretty much recognize those
                > > thoughts as 'planted' rather than 'native'.
                >
                > Discrimination. It works, but must be planted
                > in experience rather than belief. Most folks are
                > working off of belief.

                Yep, understood.

                > > > What I mean is, in some cultures, onions are good food.
                > > > In other cultures, onions are bad food. What signals do
                > > > you think people in those cultures will get when they are
                > > > around onions?
                > > >
                > > > That's how it works for a lot of subtle sensing. It's much
                > > > more about adopted ideology and the expectations inherent
                > > > in that ideology. It's more about what you believe you
                > > > should be seeing rather than what you are actually seeing.
                > >
                > > Yep. I do think it is possible, however, to bypass those
                > > adopted ideologies/expectations and 'listen to your gut'.
                > > Though often hidden by the racket of adopted
                > > ideologies/expectation, the verdict of the gut
                > > doesn't lie.
                >
                > But the gut may not have an answer for everything.
                > IOW, some things you put to your gut may not elicit
                > a response, yet the mind may try to fill the void with
                > a grammar about it.

                Yes, or what seems to be 'not an answer' may be a neutral
                response, or a response that less emphatic and directional
                ("garlic, ho hum, eat it or don't, it don't matter").
                Recognizing that before automatically filling the void with
                a grammar ("garlic is not good, it is stimulative, etc.")
                is the "goal", if there is a goal. :) 'Course, if you're
                getting a neutral response, no harm in making decisions
                based on grammars.

                > > Tony, the verdict comes so quickly - instantaneously -
                > > that no one at the grocery store would suspect a thing.
                > > Have you ever seen what happens to a young child that eats
                > > something that disagrees with them? They throw up right
                > > away. It's very much the same with adults, but we've
                > > taught ourselves not to reject foods in that way.
                > >
                > > I've found that it isn't necessary to taste or eat the
                > > food to garner response - picking it up will do. It's
                > > pretty specific - intestinal backflips, nausea or
                > > 'sudden gas' is a no, a feeling of being nourished, satiated
                > > or neutral is a yes. Probably others have other signals.
                > >
                > > > It's good to eat healthy for many reasons, but I don't
                > > > think it's nearly as important for spiritual reasons as
                > > > most new age people want to believe.
                > >
                > > Yep. Isn't it fascinating how pervasive spiritual dogma
                > > can be... right down to diet!
                >
                > And into your sex life, social habits, pretty much
                > everything. It forces the individual into a box that
                > most likely doesn't fit their lives. What few people
                > understand is that you can bend spirituality around
                > anything, but you can't necessarily bend yourself
                > around any spirituality.

                Well, all the more reason to practice hatha yoga! /grin/

                > > Have a nice evening...
                > > Nina
                >
                > You too. :)
                >
                > --jody.

                Thanks... we're currently living through our second big
                hurricane of the season... and we live in *the mountains*
                (southern Appalachia)! Frances brought big floods and
                water system contamination/service closure. Now, a week
                later, Ivan hits our saturated soils. Luckily, I live
                on a high spot in the lee of an even higher spot, so
                the winds haven't been hitting the enormous trees here.
                Last night when we lost power, I went out and enjoyed
                the very eerie experience of total EMF quiet. The trees
                were still, but up above, the clouds were roiling. It
                reminded me of the atmosphere at the end of the end of
                the Matrix series (the one in the above-ground world).
                Anyhoo, obviously power is back for now, but the remnants
                of the hurricane are going to stick around through Sunday
                to dump more rain on us. I don't know if it makes more
                sense for me to get my work on the computer done while we
                still have power, or get to work draining the basement. :)
                Ah, the intricacies of this video game we call life.

                have an even nicer day..
                Nina