Re: Meditation and Diet

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 16, 2004
      "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@m...> wrote:

      > But overcooked and dense food
      > not only has questionable nutritive
      > value, it makes the digestive
      > system work harder and longer...
      > and this amounts to "noise"
      > in the body. A veggie and/or
      > raw food diet will quiet the
      > body in only a few days.
      >
      > Most noticeable will be the
      > peaceful feeling upon waking.
      > When the body is not asked
      > to digest heavy meals, sleep
      > is more restful and peaceful.
      >
      > Quieting the mind to the
      > point of allowing for the
      > meditative effect of relaxation
      > will only take the meditator
      > so far if they ignore the
      > need to quiet the body noise.
      >
      > Food for thought.

      Maybe before breakfast is the wrong
      time to write this post. :) Nonetheless...

      I see what you are saying, and have
      experienced that sort of 'quieting'
      of the body when eating easily
      digested food. However, for people
      who do not have enduring digestive
      fire, raw food can actually be very
      difficult to digest.

      Also, as a person who is prone to
      'airy' mentation and physicality,
      a 'vata' by Ayurvedic language,
      I have found that eating too much
      raw food can exacerbate my tendency
      to be groundless. Too much air.
      Sure, eating root vegetables is
      different than eating celery,
      and should be grounding, but I've
      noticed that any grounding effect
      is hard to feel because of the
      challenge to digestion posed by
      those tough roots.

      Oddly enough, one method I use to
      get a really deep night's sleep
      is to eat a big meal (including meat)
      right before going to sleep. I know this
      is counter to most every recommendation
      to insomniacs, but it works for me
      as a 'reset'... I certainly wouldn't
      do it every night. It works when I'm
      overtired, when I suspect I won't
      be able to go to sleep or stay asleep.

      Well, Jeff, I couldn't help but point
      out a few counters to your diet
      proposal. I'm sure that what you've
      written works for many people...
      certainly it is what is supported by
      so many 'spiritual people' (and I
      don't mean that in any denigratory
      way).

      have a good day,
      and enjoy what you eat..
      Nina
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 16, 2004
        Thanks, Nina. I can always
        count on you to counterpoint.

        No doubt you are a crackerjack
        architect (and that's not meant
        in any denigrating way), but I
        would bet you dollars to donuts...
        make that, cash to carrot sticks...
        that when it came to your
        professional training of choice,
        you were torn between law
        and architecture. Right?

        Now, not wanting to precipitate
        a food fight, I will simply reply
        that I was reporting my personal
        experience for those with whom
        it would resonate. If a T-Bone
        before you tuck in makes you
        sleep like a log, good for you.
        Atkins smiles from the heavenlies.

        As for me, I am mostly a
        wife-encouraged raw foodist,
        pretty much a vegartarian,
        but at core, and as long as
        MacDonalds keeps their
        double cheeseburger on
        the dollar menu, at risk
        of backsliding. That would
        make me a flexitarian, I guess.

        I'll eat what's available, or
        whatever finds its way to
        my plate. I've just noticed,
        as you mentioned that you
        have, that eating light seems
        to quiet the inner noise
        and, especially at waking,
        a very peaceful and content
        feeling is noticed.

        Always enjoy your poignant
        points of view.

        Jeff
      • Gene Poole
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 16, 2004
          > "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
          > > "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@m...> wrote:
          >
          > > But overcooked and dense food
          > > not only has questionable nutritive
          > > value, it makes the digestive
          > > system work harder and longer...
          > > and this amounts to "noise"
          > > in the body. A veggie and/or
          > > raw food diet will quiet the
          > > body in only a few days.
          > >
          > > Most noticeable will be the
          > > peaceful feeling upon waking.
          > > When the body is not asked
          > > to digest heavy meals, sleep
          > > is more restful and peaceful.
          > >
          > > Quieting the mind to the
          > > point of allowing for the
          > > meditative effect of relaxation
          > > will only take the meditator
          > > so far if they ignore the
          > > need to quiet the body noise.
          > >
          > > Food for thought.
          >
          > Maybe before breakfast is the wrong
          > time to write this post. :) Nonetheless...
          >
          > I see what you are saying, and have
          > experienced that sort of 'quieting'
          > of the body when eating easily
          > digested food. However, for people
          > who do not have enduring digestive
          > fire, raw food can actually be very
          > difficult to digest.
          >
          > Also, as a person who is prone to
          > 'airy' mentation and physicality,
          > a 'vata' by Ayurvedic language,
          > I have found that eating too much
          > raw food can exacerbate my tendency
          > to be groundless. Too much air.
          > Sure, eating root vegetables is
          > different than eating celery,
          > and should be grounding, but I've
          > noticed that any grounding effect
          > is hard to feel because of the
          > challenge to digestion posed by
          > those tough roots.
          >
          > Oddly enough, one method I use to
          > get a really deep night's sleep
          > is to eat a big meal (including meat)
          > right before going to sleep. I know this
          > is counter to most every recommendation
          > to insomniacs, but it works for me
          > as a 'reset'... I certainly wouldn't
          > do it every night. It works when I'm
          > overtired, when I suspect I won't
          > be able to go to sleep or stay asleep.
          >
          > Well, Jeff, I couldn't help but point
          > out a few counters to your diet
          > proposal. I'm sure that what you've
          > written works for many people...
          > certainly it is what is supported by
          > so many 'spiritual people' (and I
          > don't mean that in any denigratory
          > way).
          >
          > have a good day,
          > and enjoy what you eat..
          > Nina

          Points well and truly made, Nina.

          Anyone desiring to understand the true
          interactions of foods with the body, is
          well-put to study Ayurveda.

          A system of metaphors from TCM
          (traditional Chinese medicine) which
          overlaps with the concepts of Ayurveda:

          Fire 'disturbs' air

          and makes smoke

          which becomes 'Earth' (dirt)

          Wherein:

          Air is consciousness

          Fire is movement

          Smoke is the byproduct of combustion
          and comprises the body (flesh and bone)

          Food grows in dirt

          Digestion (fire) burns food

          which becomes the body

          This cycle is immutable, but
          can be perverted:

          To eat 'fireproof' food

          quenches fire

          Thus the body shrinks:

          To eat food which itself is fire...

          Makes consciousness into a hurricane

          'Sattva' (perfect dynamic balance) results from
          each element perfectly serving the others.

          'You are what you eat' says:

          Imbalance eats imbalance.

          Balance eats balance.

          If this is not perfectly clear, study