Meditation and Diet

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 16, 2004
      Meditation and Diet

      In the Mystic Heart Meditation
      we teach about selective awareness
      (sensory,breath, heart), beginning
      with a simple Quiet Awareness; that
      is, just stopping all activity to quietly
      notice our immediate environment
      for a minute or so.

      This has a settling effect that
      can be felt almost immediately.
      And this Quiet Awareness can be
      sustained for longer periods
      of time by simply noticing when
      we are inhaling and when we
      are exhaling.

      Just this basic 2-step meditation
      can provide a relaxation break
      and stress reduction "vacation"
      in the midst of the day, or at
      any time we choose.

      For those who have an interest
      in going deeper into meditation
      and heightened awareness, there
      is an aspect of the body/mind
      connection that contributes to
      and enhances meditative practice.
      It is easily and often overlooked
      – or dismissed as unimportant.

      As yoga and meditation became
      more and more "westernized",
      the physical postures and
      meditation techniques found
      the largest audience.

      What escaped much notice, or
      at least what was consider
      merely peripheral to meditation,
      was the diet recommendations
      that accompanied the eastern
      teachings. They were considered
      as possibly more healthful
      (and many meditators adopt
      a vegetarian diet for a time)
      but more a part of religious dogma
      than necessarily practical or
      efficacious to meditation.

      But overcooked and dense food
      not only has questionable nutritive
      value, it makes the digestive
      system work harder and longer...
      and this amounts to "noise"
      in the body. A veggie and/or
      raw food diet will quiet the
      body in only a few days.

      Most noticeable will be the
      peaceful feeling upon waking.
      When the body is not asked
      to digest heavy meals, sleep
      is more restful and peaceful.

      Quieting the mind to the
      point of allowing for the
      meditative effect of relaxation
      will only take the meditator
      so far if they ignore the
      need to quiet the body noise.

      Food for thought.
    • Nina
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 16, 2004
        "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@m...> wrote:

        > But overcooked and dense food
        > not only has questionable nutritive
        > value, it makes the digestive
        > system work harder and longer...
        > and this amounts to "noise"
        > in the body. A veggie and/or
        > raw food diet will quiet the
        > body in only a few days.
        >
        > Most noticeable will be the
        > peaceful feeling upon waking.
        > When the body is not asked
        > to digest heavy meals, sleep
        > is more restful and peaceful.
        >
        > Quieting the mind to the
        > point of allowing for the
        > meditative effect of relaxation
        > will only take the meditator
        > so far if they ignore the
        > need to quiet the body noise.
        >
        > Food for thought.

        Maybe before breakfast is the wrong
        time to write this post. :) Nonetheless...

        I see what you are saying, and have
        experienced that sort of 'quieting'
        of the body when eating easily
        digested food. However, for people
        who do not have enduring digestive
        fire, raw food can actually be very
        difficult to digest.

        Also, as a person who is prone to
        'airy' mentation and physicality,
        a 'vata' by Ayurvedic language,
        I have found that eating too much
        raw food can exacerbate my tendency
        to be groundless. Too much air.
        Sure, eating root vegetables is
        different than eating celery,
        and should be grounding, but I've
        noticed that any grounding effect
        is hard to feel because of the
        challenge to digestion posed by
        those tough roots.

        Oddly enough, one method I use to
        get a really deep night's sleep
        is to eat a big meal (including meat)
        right before going to sleep. I know this
        is counter to most every recommendation
        to insomniacs, but it works for me
        as a 'reset'... I certainly wouldn't
        do it every night. It works when I'm
        overtired, when I suspect I won't
        be able to go to sleep or stay asleep.

        Well, Jeff, I couldn't help but point
        out a few counters to your diet
        proposal. I'm sure that what you've
        written works for many people...
        certainly it is what is supported by
        so many 'spiritual people' (and I
        don't mean that in any denigratory
        way).

        have a good day,
        and enjoy what you eat..
        Nina
      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 16, 2004
          Thanks, Nina. I can always
          count on you to counterpoint.

          No doubt you are a crackerjack
          architect (and that's not meant
          in any denigrating way), but I
          would bet you dollars to donuts...
          make that, cash to carrot sticks...
          that when it came to your
          professional training of choice,
          you were torn between law
          and architecture. Right?

          Now, not wanting to precipitate
          a food fight, I will simply reply
          that I was reporting my personal
          experience for those with whom
          it would resonate. If a T-Bone
          before you tuck in makes you
          sleep like a log, good for you.
          Atkins smiles from the heavenlies.

          As for me, I am mostly a
          wife-encouraged raw foodist,
          pretty much a vegartarian,
          but at core, and as long as
          MacDonalds keeps their
          double cheeseburger on
          the dollar menu, at risk
          of backsliding. That would
          make me a flexitarian, I guess.

          I'll eat what's available, or
          whatever finds its way to
          my plate. I've just noticed,
          as you mentioned that you
          have, that eating light seems
          to quiet the inner noise
          and, especially at waking,
          a very peaceful and content
          feeling is noticed.

          Always enjoy your poignant
          points of view.

          Jeff
        • Gene Poole
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 16, 2004
            > "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
            > > "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@m...> wrote:
            >
            > > But overcooked and dense food
            > > not only has questionable nutritive
            > > value, it makes the digestive
            > > system work harder and longer...
            > > and this amounts to "noise"
            > > in the body. A veggie and/or
            > > raw food diet will quiet the
            > > body in only a few days.
            > >
            > > Most noticeable will be the
            > > peaceful feeling upon waking.
            > > When the body is not asked
            > > to digest heavy meals, sleep
            > > is more restful and peaceful.
            > >
            > > Quieting the mind to the
            > > point of allowing for the
            > > meditative effect of relaxation
            > > will only take the meditator
            > > so far if they ignore the
            > > need to quiet the body noise.
            > >
            > > Food for thought.
            >
            > Maybe before breakfast is the wrong
            > time to write this post. :) Nonetheless...
            >
            > I see what you are saying, and have
            > experienced that sort of 'quieting'
            > of the body when eating easily
            > digested food. However, for people
            > who do not have enduring digestive
            > fire, raw food can actually be very
            > difficult to digest.
            >
            > Also, as a person who is prone to
            > 'airy' mentation and physicality,
            > a 'vata' by Ayurvedic language,
            > I have found that eating too much
            > raw food can exacerbate my tendency
            > to be groundless. Too much air.
            > Sure, eating root vegetables is
            > different than eating celery,
            > and should be grounding, but I've
            > noticed that any grounding effect
            > is hard to feel because of the
            > challenge to digestion posed by
            > those tough roots.
            >
            > Oddly enough, one method I use to
            > get a really deep night's sleep
            > is to eat a big meal (including meat)
            > right before going to sleep. I know this
            > is counter to most every recommendation
            > to insomniacs, but it works for me
            > as a 'reset'... I certainly wouldn't
            > do it every night. It works when I'm
            > overtired, when I suspect I won't
            > be able to go to sleep or stay asleep.
            >
            > Well, Jeff, I couldn't help but point
            > out a few counters to your diet
            > proposal. I'm sure that what you've
            > written works for many people...
            > certainly it is what is supported by
            > so many 'spiritual people' (and I
            > don't mean that in any denigratory
            > way).
            >
            > have a good day,
            > and enjoy what you eat..
            > Nina

            Points well and truly made, Nina.

            Anyone desiring to understand the true
            interactions of foods with the body, is
            well-put to study Ayurveda.

            A system of metaphors from TCM
            (traditional Chinese medicine) which
            overlaps with the concepts of Ayurveda:

            Fire 'disturbs' air

            and makes smoke

            which becomes 'Earth' (dirt)

            Wherein:

            Air is consciousness

            Fire is movement

            Smoke is the byproduct of combustion
            and comprises the body (flesh and bone)

            Food grows in dirt

            Digestion (fire) burns food

            which becomes the body

            This cycle is immutable, but
            can be perverted:

            To eat 'fireproof' food

            quenches fire

            Thus the body shrinks:

            To eat food which itself is fire...

            Makes consciousness into a hurricane

            'Sattva' (perfect dynamic balance) results from
            each element perfectly serving the others.

            'You are what you eat' says:

            Imbalance eats imbalance.

            Balance eats balance.

            If this is not perfectly clear, study