The Rewards of Semi-Sincerity

  • skiplaurel
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      The Rewards of Semi-Sincerity

      I'm sitting here in the jungle of my mind eating cheese and crackers on a plantain leaf. This makes me feel humble yet satisfied at the same time. There are many ways to feel virtuous while not actually being so. Another favorite of mine is to go for a walk eating s'mores. It's both good and bad for me at the same time. Thus I bring in the principle of paradox.

      Humility and pride are hard to get going simultaneously. It's like patting your head and rubbing your stomach. Virtue is its own reward but putting oneself in place while swelling with pride take more muscles than I seem to have. Maybe I will try it lying down.

      Sometimes I try to balance gluttony and unselfishness but this rarely works either. I once offered a friend a piece of peanut butter pie and ate it before she could accept. All she came away with was an empty plate. I then began to practice repentance and self-admonishment, saying things to myself like, "Oh, you poor, sorry excuse of a person...." I don't remember the rest.

      Every day brings rich opportunities for developing higher characteristics. Transcending the opposites is a good exercise. You might try feeling rich and then poor....rich and then poor. The trick is not to actually give away anything while doing it. Just imagine yourself alternately philanthropic and miserly.

      Wearing a hair shirt one day and a silk one the next can be good practice. What we are after is to be in the state of renuncation and/or success without being of it. This will eventually lead to sheer confusion, at which time you may become quasi-spiritual at the very least. You might consider writing a book or at the very least, a tract.

      Vicki Woodyard
      http://www.bobwoodyard.com
    • Gene Poole
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2004
        > "skiplaurel" <vicki@b...> wrote:

        > The Rewards of Semi-Sincerity
        >
        > I'm sitting here in the jungle of my mind eating cheese and crackers on a plantain
        leaf. This makes me feel humble yet satisfied at the same time. There are many ways
        to feel virtuous while not actually being so. Another favorite of mine is to go for a
        walk eating s'mores. It's both good and bad for me at the same time. Thus I bring in
        the principle of paradox.

        > Humility and pride are hard to get going simultaneously. It's like patting your head
        and rubbing your stomach. Virtue is its own reward but putting oneself in place while
        swelling with pride take more muscles than I seem to have. Maybe I will try it lying
        down.

        "True humility knows
        its own greatness"