tapes??

  • Sara M. Leiste
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1 9:47 AM
      I am rather new to meditating. I first did it in high school as a stress
      reliever, have gotten back into it over the last year or so. My question
      is regarding meditation tapes. Pros? Cons? I'd be interested hearing about
      specific tapes, as well as the concept of using tapes in general.

      This came up because my therapist suggested a few mediations. He gave me
      scripts for them, with the idea that I would make a tape for myself. I
      wonder if its better to do that, or if I should read the script a few
      times and then follow the instructions in my head.

      Until now, I have been doing a number of meditations from the book Radical
      Acceptance, and I usually read the instructions and then go at my own pace
      through the meditation.

      Sara

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1 12:34 PM
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Sara M. Leiste"
        <leiste@y...> wrote:
        > I am rather new to meditating. I first did it in high school as a
        stress
        > reliever, have gotten back into it over the last year or so. My
        question
        > is regarding meditation tapes. Pros? Cons? I'd be interested
        hearing about
        > specific tapes, as well as the concept of using tapes in general.
        >
        > This came up because my therapist suggested a few mediations. He
        gave me
        > scripts for them, with the idea that I would make a tape for
        myself. I
        > wonder if its better to do that, or if I should read the script a
        few
        > times and then follow the instructions in my head.
        >
        > Until now, I have been doing a number of meditations from the book
        Radical
        > Acceptance, and I usually read the instructions and then go at my
        own pace
        > through the meditation.
        >
        > Sara

        Dear Sara,
        I too feel that your own voice can be a very good one to be guiding
        you in your meditations. Either from a tape you've made, or from a
        script "in your head". But I do know that depending on the situation,
        anothers voice can be even better. For instance, in the case of
        someone whose mother put her down her whole childhood, it could be
        very healing to hear mom's voice saying affirmations like "You always
        know how to dress appropriately" "You always know and do what is
        best" "You are beautiful in every way". and so on and so on. One of
        my best friends in nursing actually did this with her mother. The mom
        immediately "bought into it" and both had a lot of laughter,
        learning, and love from this. Louise Hay was the first one I know of
        to share this method. I wish you well.

        PS: BTW, The Meditation Society of America's Guided Meditation CD has
        been very well accepted by many people in virtually every country on
        earth, and even though mine is the voice you hear on it, I don't feel
        funny recommending it, and am confident it has the potential to be of
        help. More info can be found on our web site
        http://www.meditationsociety.com
        Our hope with this CD, as with all of our projects, is that you will
        very soon be able to do without it, and be able to have meditation be
        as natural and effortless for you as breathing.