Re: Meditation and therapy

  • jodyrrr
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
      <jeff@m...> wrote:

      [snip]

      > The spiritual aspect of meditation
      > need not get lost in its relatively
      > new role in the self-help (Self-help)
      > arena. Even here, it can be
      > breakthrough-useful as an
      > "applied metaphysics".
      >
      > God most probably doesn't
      > need man's psychotherapy. (ü)

      Only when He manifests as us men (and women.)

      > Best,
      >
      > Jeff

      --jody.
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
        <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
        > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff
        Belyea"
        > <jeff@m...> wrote:
        >
        > [snip]
        >
        > > The spiritual aspect of meditation
        > > need not get lost in its relatively
        > > new role in the self-help (Self-help)
        > > arena. Even here, it can be
        > > breakthrough-useful as an
        > > "applied metaphysics".
        > >
        > > God most probably doesn't
        > > need man's psychotherapy. (ü)
        >
        > Only when He manifests as us men (and women.)
        >
        > > Best,
        > >
        > > Jeff
        >
        > --jody.

        Sure, even though we are
        made manifest in the image of God,
        what is encountered (or possibly
        wired into us) when manifested
        in this physical, rational form,
        is the genesis of the feeling of
        separation - what is called maya
        or illusion in some traditions; and
        the feeling that we are (our identity is)
        the manifest, rather than the spirit,
        a spark of God's own fire.

        Forgetting that we are within God,
        or being coerced out of knowing this
        (socialization - being force-fed from
        the tree of duality) is what prepares
        the ground for dark disturbing doubts -
        not only about religion or sprituality, but
        about who we are at our core.

        Meditation, at its loftiest, is one
        vehicle for dispelling the notion
        that we are separate from God.