Re: my wrong daily actions

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 26, 2004
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jack"
      <hjackdavis@a...> wrote:
      > i have been mediting daily since may
      > im up to 45 mins a day
      > even though i make upsetting decsions that leave me feeling bad
      > its takes me so very long to feel good again
      > i have gotten such clarity and awareness from meditating and made
      > such changes in my life since may
      > i have a long list of benefits from my meditation
      > but i truly seek help with the bad choices that i make that pull me
      > in the gutter
      > thanks for giving me the oppurtunity to tell where i am with my
      > meditation at the present moment
      > jack in kentucky

      Dear Jack,
      Here's a technique from our web site that has helped many who have
      desired to make better choices, be "good", get rid of negative
      characteristics, etc. It can be found on our Guided Meditations CD
      and in the Archive section of our web site;
      http://www.meditationsociety.com
      I hope it is beneficial to you.

      The Dalai Lama Meditation
      The Dalai Lama has been acknowledged by Tibetan Buddhists to be a
      reincarnation of the God of Compassion and by the world in general to
      be a Nobel Peace Prize winner but few know him to be a practicing
      meditator. All his life, he has been surrounded by masters of
      meditation and has been initiated into many different techniques. It
      is therefore appropriate that we pay attention when he points out one
      method so valuable that he does it everyday:
      Remember when you were a kid and they often had cartoons where
      someone had a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other and
      they were whispering into an ear -- one encouraging doing "bad" and
      one doing "good". In a way, that's the basis of the Dalai Lama
      Meditation technique.

      Sit quietly, calmly with eyes closed, as relaxed yet aware as you can
      be. Visualize yourself on the left side of your minds eye as you
      would appear to yourself and others in a moment of impatience. Really
      see this inner vision. Watch your face, observe your body language.
      What does your impatient self look like? On the right side of your
      minds eye, see yourself when you are very patient. What do you look
      like when you have a lifetime of time. As tense as you appeared on
      the left as your impatient self, see yourself as relaxed in your
      patience on the right. Now on the left side, see yourself as you
      appear when you're depressed. Look carefully. How does that make you
      feel? Can you be aware of the aura of doom and gloom you're
      radiating? And then, on the right side of your minds eye, see
      yourself as you are when you're joyous. Merge with that happiness.
      Know how others would see you.

      Continue seeing all the seemingly negative feelings and behaviors on
      the inner left-hand side of your minds eye and the opposite on the
      right. On the left, see yourself as jealous and on the right as how
      you appear when you are truly glad for someone else's sucess or
      happiness. On the left, see the bigoted you and on the right, the all-
      embracing. On the left the mean, on the right the sweet. See the
      stupid you and the brilliant. See the clumsy and the graceful. On the
      left, see the unsatisfied and on the right, the contented.

      Go on and on, becoming familiar with the "you" on the left and the
      opposite "you" on the right. Then see the total "you" who would be
      there on the left if none of the characteristics of the right side
      were present. Now see the "you" who would be the totality of yourself
      with the right side only if none of the behaviors and feelings of the
      left side "you" had ever appeared.

      The Dalai Lama tells us that there is nothing else necessary because
      just by seeing your negative left-side self, you will become so
      disgusted with yourself when you witness yourself acting in any of
      the left side ways that you will automatically cease any of those
      actions and start doing and feeling the right-side actions.
      Eventually, you will become the right-side you exclusively.
      Eventually, you will have peace, compassion, wisdom, good health,
      patience, and all the other glorious aspects of life.

      This technique has the potential to change your life profoundly for
      the better. It is one of the best antidotes for negativity. It is
      consistent with his unlimited compassion that the Dalai Lama has
      shared it with us.
    • jodyrrr
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
        <hjackdavis@a...> wrote:
        > i have been mediting daily since may
        > im up to 45 mins a day
        > even though i make upsetting decsions that leave me feeling bad
        > its takes me so very long to feel good again
        > i have gotten such clarity and awareness from meditating and made
        > such changes in my life since may
        > i have a long list of benefits from my meditation
        > but i truly seek help with the bad choices that i make that pull me
        > in the gutter
        > thanks for giving me the oppurtunity to tell where i am with my
        > meditation at the present moment
        > jack in kentucky

        Hey Jack.

        Have you thought about trying psychotherapy?
        I truly believe that *everyone* would benefit
        from the counsel of a good therapist, regardless
        of whether they may be considered a victim of
        a psychopathology.

        The trick is finding a good one, but if and when
        you do, in concert with your meditation, you may
        find the boost you need to get through the rough
        patches we all encounter in our lives (often
        closely related to those rough patches we've
        already been through.)

        --jody.
      • Greg Goode
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
          At 06:50 PM 8/30/2004 +0000, jodyrrr wrote:

          >Hey Jack.
          >
          >Have you thought about trying psychotherapy?
          >I truly believe that *everyone* would benefit
          >from the counsel of a good therapist, regardless
          >of whether they may be considered a victim of
          >a psychopathology.
          >
          >The trick is finding a good one, but if and when
          >you do, in concert with your meditation, you may
          >find the boost you need to get through the rough
          >patches we all encounter in our lives (often
          >closely related to those rough patches we've
          >already been through.)

          ===Let me second this! I'm very glad to hear
          favorable recommendations about psychotherapy,
          since it is fashionable in some recent spiritual
          quarters to claim that psychotherapy will impede
          spiritual progress. Not true! I know several
          people who left the neo-advaita satsang movement,
          began psychotherapy, and are no longer seeking
          what they sought from satsang.

          --Greg
        • jodyrrr
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Greg Goode
            <goode@d...> wrote:
            > At 06:50 PM 8/30/2004 +0000, jodyrrr wrote:
            >
            > >Hey Jack.
            > >
            > >Have you thought about trying psychotherapy?
            > >I truly believe that *everyone* would benefit
            > >from the counsel of a good therapist, regardless
            > >of whether they may be considered a victim of
            > >a psychopathology.
            > >
            > >The trick is finding a good one, but if and when
            > >you do, in concert with your meditation, you may
            > >find the boost you need to get through the rough
            > >patches we all encounter in our lives (often
            > >closely related to those rough patches we've
            > >already been through.)
            >

            > ===Let me second this! I'm very glad to hear
            > favorable recommendations about psychotherapy,
            > since it is fashionable in some recent spiritual
            > quarters to claim that psychotherapy will impede
            > spiritual progress. Not true! I know several
            > people who left the neo-advaita satsang movement,
            > began psychotherapy, and are no longer seeking
            > what they sought from satsang.
            >
            > --Greg

            Absolutely. That's because (and I know that you
            know this) that what they were seeking in satsang,
            they were never going to get there.

            Most folks come to spirituality looking for self-
            improvement, because they are operating under a
            cloud of self-loathing. By finding a guru and
            achieving his/her love, they believe they will be
            able to love themselves. Unfortunately, it doesn't
            always work this way. In fact, it rarely does.
            A quick survey of any bigtime guru's community
            will prove this. There is a higher concentration
            of emotionally fucked-up people there than in
            almost any other gathering of individuals.

            Getting God and seeking the Self are good things,
            but this is not the same as finding inner clarity,
            which requires a rigorous and brutally honest self-
            examination. There are very few gurus who can truly
            help you with that. A good therapist can, and will,
            if you are lucky enough to find one.

            --jody.
          • Jeff Belyea
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
              Hi Jody -

              This is interesting to consider -
              the difference between therapy and
              meditation. Our personal crossfire
              positions are clear (at least to us).
              So no rerun, but in this
              time of political debate - equal
              time (words, bites, bytes):

              Certainly, psychology offers a
              proven model for dealing with
              life's perceived ups and downs.
              And so does meditation. They
              just come at it from different
              angles (some inner, some outer).
              Transformational psychology
              blends the goal of psychotherapy
              and the "supreme" goal of meditation.

              Without a sound psychological
              worldview, meditation may have
              little value, so I agree that
              adjunct therapy may be wise, but
              it depends on what the "seeker"
              is seeking in meditation, and
              of course, what issues are
              disrupting peace of mind.

              Here's where therapy takes
              return fire from your wild meditation
              buckshots:

              Much psychotherapy is focused on
              reassessment of life experiences;
              kind of, "If I only knew then,
              what I know now". For example,
              when one looks back at an event
              that had a powerful impact, at
              an earlier point in life and
              reassesses their reaction from
              a more mature and insightful
              point of view, it is thought
              that they can find emotional
              release from that earlier impact,
              realize that their reaction was
              immature and even a misinterpretation,
              and thereby effect an emotional
              healing.

              Unfortunately, what so often
              happens in therapy; such as in
              support groups and the constellation
              model, is that the revisiting
              and stirring of old issues effects
              something very much like kicking
              old horseshit. The stink returns
              and the earlier emotional impact,
              rather than being lessened,
              is exacerbated.

              Nice theory, catharsis,
              but in many (if not most) cases
              there is no release, only a
              revisiting of a bad dream, over
              and over and over...for years.
              The "patient" never finds release
              and comes to be ensnared in the
              support group's childish
              sentimentality - and all the
              personal attention it brings.
              At this point, the one who comes
              for therapy has discovered a
              way to become the focus of
              attention, the recipient of
              endless hugs and tears...and
              this is their pay off. No way
              will they let go of the emotional
              impact, because each time they
              rerun the movie, they get all
              kinds of sympathy and attention.

              Of course, both meditation and
              therapy are infused with "teachers"
              who harbor "superstitious" imaginings
              and feed on others to support
              their own egoic need to feel superior
              or even "supernatural". They each
              sell their own brand of horseshit
              to some unsuspecting people
              who come for guidance/therapy...and the
              results are often disappointment and
              emotional disaster.

              This isn't universal, and certainly
              groups like AA and other support
              structures have helped many people,
              and probably saved many lives, and
              many enlightened therapists bring
              an intentional "applied metaphysics"
              to therapy. And spiritual communities
              typically hum with peace of mind
              and goodwill. (Unless someone
              is stuck in the late 60s and early
              70s).

              Meditation is a different matter:

              Nice theory, meditation. The idea
              that entering a silence of the mind
              will trigger a "response" from God,
              from our higher Self, is one that
              has captured the imagination since...
              most probably before recorded
              history. Certainly history records
              testimony of meditation's efficacy
              in dealing with a broad range of
              human "ills". The mystic path
              is known to virtually all religions
              and spiritual traditions.

              Satsang points to this - it is not
              where IT is found, but is can
              provide a "lamp unto our feet"
              that may guide us to a realization
              of our true home - within God.

              And on a less lofty plane, there
              are a kazillion reports of today's
              meditators reporting improved
              stress management and ability
              to relax, more non-judgmental
              acceptance of other personality
              types, improved relationships
              and more positive self-talk
              a renewed enthusiasm for life/career
              goals ((not to mention the host of
              physiological benefits of
              meditation) ...to name a few.

              To return to a spiritual context...

              Meditation potentially holds a key
              to the entrance to another realm.
              This is not therapy, in the classic
              sense. Entrance into this realm,
              beyond space and time, into the
              eternal holy moment, requires
              "death" of all previously held
              concepts, a beginner's mind, an
              emptying, a total surrender...
              a willingness to die to the former
              self, and the opportunity to
              meet the Self - an entirely new
              (or possibly newly remembered)
              Self. The needy neurotic who
              comes to the master meditation
              teacher as a sincere student
              may receive the unique healing,
              another sort of resolution, an
              entirely new perspective on what
              seemed to be difficult circumstances,
              a startling new "wisdom", a
              gnosis that cures neurosis.

              To find the right key that
              unlocks the door to peace of mind
              and perfect resolution of past
              problems and pain of remorse,
              is to be "reborn" a Self of pure
              existential courage, to know
              perfect peace of mind and
              a joy unspeakable...

              At this level of meditation
              theistic language is often
              used...God is remembered.
              Our intimate "place" within
              God is remembered.

              Meditation may opened the door to
              this "heavenly, eternal" realm,
              but the decision to enter into the
              "enlightenment" or "awakening"
              or "holy of holies" is left to
              the "seeker". The teacher points the
              way, and offers guidance along
              the path, drawing upon his or her
              own direct personal experience of
              having entered the place beyond
              time and space, where a new
              being replaced the old one.

              As Jesus, said, "We (teachers)
              know of what we speak."

              This is the role of the true, ardent
              and sometimes over-enthusiastic
              Boddhisattva. They wait, either on
              this earthly plane, or on what might be
              called the astral plane (beyond
              space and time - as in where
              Jesus resides for those who
              have "met" him) at the entrance
              to this "changing room", this
              place of removal of darkness
              (gu-ru means "darkness remover")
              as in a darkened consciousness,
              as servants to those sentient
              beings who have come to the
              point of earnest aspiration.

              This shift in perception, known
              to one who has emerged from God's
              changing room, is not gained as
              a result of a new rational insight
              or a more mature reaction to
              past life experiences. This
              change is, in a manner of speaking,
              pure grace - God's work. Grace
              gives new life, a new being, a new
              knowing (gnosis - the gnosis
              that cures neurosis) that changes
              everything - while changing
              nothing. No words suffice.
              The shift is only known
              experientially.

              Meditators and therapy clients
              meet each other going the other
              way everyday.

              Papajeff

              <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
              > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Greg
              Goode
              > <goode@d...> wrote:
              > > At 06:50 PM 8/30/2004 +0000, jodyrrr wrote:
              > >
              > > >Hey Jack.
              > > >
              > > >Have you thought about trying psychotherapy?
              > > >I truly believe that *everyone* would benefit
              > > >from the counsel of a good therapist, regardless
              > > >of whether they may be considered a victim of
              > > >a psychopathology.
              > > >
              > > >The trick is finding a good one, but if and when
              > > >you do, in concert with your meditation, you may
              > > >find the boost you need to get through the rough
              > > >patches we all encounter in our lives (often
              > > >closely related to those rough patches we've
              > > >already been through.)
              > >

              > > ===Let me second this! I'm very glad to hear
              > > favorable recommendations about psychotherapy,
              > > since it is fashionable in some recent spiritual
              > > quarters to claim that psychotherapy will impede
              > > spiritual progress. Not true! I know several
              > > people who left the neo-advaita satsang movement,
              > > began psychotherapy, and are no longer seeking
              > > what they sought from satsang.
              > >
              > > --Greg
              >
              > Absolutely. That's because (and I know that you
              > know this) that what they were seeking in satsang,
              > they were never going to get there.
              >
              > Most folks come to spirituality looking for self-
              > improvement, because they are operating under a
              > cloud of self-loathing. By finding a guru and
              > achieving his/her love, they believe they will be
              > able to love themselves. Unfortunately, it doesn't
              > always work this way. In fact, it rarely does.
              > A quick survey of any bigtime guru's community
              > will prove this. There is a higher concentration
              > of emotionally fucked-up people there than in
              > almost any other gathering of individuals.
              >
              > Getting God and seeking the Self are good things,
              > but this is not the same as finding inner clarity,
              > which requires a rigorous and brutally honest self-
              > examination. There are very few gurus who can truly
              > help you with that. A good therapist can, and will,
              > if you are lucky enough to find one.
              >
              > --jody.
            • jodyrrr
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
                <jeff@m...> wrote:
                > Hi Jody -

                Hey Jeff.

                [snip]

                > Certainly, psychology offers a
                > proven model for dealing with
                > life's perceived ups and downs.
                > And so does meditation.

                Perhaps. However, I'd contend that's
                a new development. IOW, that wasn't
                part of the original specification.
                Meditation did not develop as a self-
                help technique. That came in the early
                20th century.

                Making meditation a replacement for
                psychotherapy may extend its marketability,
                but it's not an approach that all meditation
                teachers would recommend.

                [snip]

                > Much psychotherapy is focused on
                > reassessment of life experiences;

                Not exactly. Psychotherapy is about
                relieving emotional tension. One way
                to accomplish this is by way of life
                assessement. The reassessment comes
                after, when the emotional polarity
                has been somewhat neutralized.

                > kind of, "If I only knew then,
                > what I know now". For example,
                > when one looks back at an event
                > that had a powerful impact, at
                > an earlier point in life and
                > reassesses their reaction from
                > a more mature and insightful
                > point of view, it is thought
                > that they can find emotional
                > release from that earlier impact,
                > realize that their reaction was
                > immature and even a misinterpretation,
                > and thereby effect an emotional
                > healing.

                That's not my impression of psycho-
                therapy at all. It's reliving past
                events to unlock the emotional potential
                that is stored there. That happens
                completely outside of any subjective
                evaluations as to what was correct
                or incorrect about the reaction at
                the time.

                This isn't to say that looking back
                doesn't reveal the mistakes we made,
                but a good psychotherapist isn't going
                to view them as such, nor recommmend that
                they be viewed as mistakes by their clients.

                > Unfortunately, what so often
                > happens in therapy; such as in
                > support groups and the constellation
                > model, is that the revisiting
                > and stirring of old issues effects
                > something very much like kicking
                > old horseshit. The stink returns
                > and the earlier emotional impact,
                > rather than being lessened,
                > is exacerbated.

                That's not the fault of psychotherapy,
                just a crappy therapist.

                > Nice theory, catharsis,
                > but in many (if not most) cases
                > there is no release, only a
                > revisiting of a bad dream, over
                > and over and over...for years.

                That statement seemingly contradicts
                my entire life.

                > The "patient" never finds release
                > and comes to be ensnared in the
                > support group's childish
                > sentimentality - and all the
                > personal attention it brings.
                > At this point, the one who comes
                > for therapy has discovered a
                > way to become the focus of
                > attention, the recipient of
                > endless hugs and tears...and
                > this is their pay off. No way
                > will they let go of the emotional
                > impact, because each time they
                > rerun the movie, they get all
                > kinds of sympathy and attention.

                Again, bad therapist. No cookie.

                [snip]

                > Nice theory, meditation. The idea
                > that entering a silence of the mind
                > will trigger a "response" from God,
                > from our higher Self, is one that
                > has captured the imagination since...

                That's your theory of meditation, Jeff.
                Mine is this: mind is entrained by the
                repetition of mantra, or silence, or
                whatever. Mental discipline follows,
                and mind content becomes less cluttered.

                That's the ideal situation. In many folks,
                dark stuff gets stirred up. It has to for
                progress to occur. A [good] therapist can
                be very helpful if this occurs, and it does
                occur. It did in me, and in a number of
                others I've known in my life.

                IOW, a good, effective meditation practice
                isn't always peaches and creme. In fact, if
                you don't run into a few shadows, it's not
                doing much of anything for you with regards
                to personal transformation, IMO.

                [snip]

                > Meditators and therapy clients
                > meet each other going the other
                > way everyday.
                >

                > Papajeff

                And some find that by walking in both
                directions, they end up just where they wanted
                to be more quickly and with more clarity than
                if they'd just gone one way or the other.

                --jody
              • Jeff Belyea
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
                  Thanks, Jody. It seems that
                  meditation, yoga, visualization,
                  guided imagery, relaxation
                  techniques and even contemporary
                  hypnotherapy - acknowledged in
                  1957 by the medical establishment
                  (sorry for the hold-over hippie
                  vocabulary) are being blended
                  more and more into "mainstream"
                  therapies and overall healthcare,
                  education, business and sport.

                  Billions are being spent on
                  these "alternative or complementary"
                  approaches to well-being. And
                  sometimes, they go more
                  efficiently and wholistically
                  to the "heart" of the matter.

                  Agreed that a combination
                  of good counsel and meditation
                  can be the best route for some.

                  However...

                  The spiritual aspect of meditation
                  need not get lost in its relatively
                  new role in the self-help (Self-help)
                  arena. Even here, it can be
                  breakthrough-useful as an
                  "applied metaphysics".

                  God most probably doesn't
                  need man's psychotherapy. (ü)

                  Best,

                  Jeff
                • jodyrrr
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
                    <jeff@m...> wrote:

                    [snip]

                    > The spiritual aspect of meditation
                    > need not get lost in its relatively
                    > new role in the self-help (Self-help)
                    > arena. Even here, it can be
                    > breakthrough-useful as an
                    > "applied metaphysics".
                    >
                    > God most probably doesn't
                    > need man's psychotherapy. (ü)

                    Only when He manifests as us men (and women.)

                    > Best,
                    >
                    > Jeff

                    --jody.
                  • Jeff Belyea
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
                      <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff
                      Belyea"
                      > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                      >
                      > [snip]
                      >
                      > > The spiritual aspect of meditation
                      > > need not get lost in its relatively
                      > > new role in the self-help (Self-help)
                      > > arena. Even here, it can be
                      > > breakthrough-useful as an
                      > > "applied metaphysics".
                      > >
                      > > God most probably doesn't
                      > > need man's psychotherapy. (ü)
                      >
                      > Only when He manifests as us men (and women.)
                      >
                      > > Best,
                      > >
                      > > Jeff
                      >
                      > --jody.

                      Sure, even though we are
                      made manifest in the image of God,
                      what is encountered (or possibly
                      wired into us) when manifested
                      in this physical, rational form,
                      is the genesis of the feeling of
                      separation - what is called maya
                      or illusion in some traditions; and
                      the feeling that we are (our identity is)
                      the manifest, rather than the spirit,
                      a spark of God's own fire.

                      Forgetting that we are within God,
                      or being coerced out of knowing this
                      (socialization - being force-fed from
                      the tree of duality) is what prepares
                      the ground for dark disturbing doubts -
                      not only about religion or sprituality, but
                      about who we are at our core.

                      Meditation, at its loftiest, is one
                      vehicle for dispelling the notion
                      that we are separate from God.