Re: my wrong daily actions

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 26, 2004

      to choose to produce balance
      in your life, more consciously.

      Hope this helps,

      Jeff

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jack"
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 26, 2004
        <hjackdavis@a...> wrote:
        > i have been mediting daily since may
        > im up to 45 mins a day
        > even though i make upsetting decsions that leave me feeling bad
        > its takes me so very long to feel good again
        > i have gotten such clarity and awareness from meditating and made
        > such changes in my life since may
        > i have a long list of benefits from my meditation
        > but i truly seek help with the bad choices that i make that pull me
        > in the gutter
        > thanks for giving me the oppurtunity to tell where i am with my
        > meditation at the present moment
        > jack in kentucky

        Dear Jack,
        Here's a technique from our web site that has helped many who have
        desired to make better choices, be "good", get rid of negative
        characteristics, etc. It can be found on our Guided Meditations CD
        and in the Archive section of our web site;
        http://www.meditationsociety.com
        I hope it is beneficial to you.

        The Dalai Lama Meditation
        The Dalai Lama has been acknowledged by Tibetan Buddhists to be a
        reincarnation of the God of Compassion and by the world in general to
        be a Nobel Peace Prize winner but few know him to be a practicing
        meditator. All his life, he has been surrounded by masters of
        meditation and has been initiated into many different techniques. It
        is therefore appropriate that we pay attention when he points out one
        method so valuable that he does it everyday:
        Remember when you were a kid and they often had cartoons where
        someone had a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other and
        they were whispering into an ear -- one encouraging doing "bad" and
        one doing "good". In a way, that's the basis of the Dalai Lama
        Meditation technique.

        Sit quietly, calmly with eyes closed, as relaxed yet aware as you can
        be. Visualize yourself on the left side of your minds eye as you
        would appear to yourself and others in a moment of impatience. Really
        see this inner vision. Watch your face, observe your body language.
        What does your impatient self look like? On the right side of your
        minds eye, see yourself when you are very patient. What do you look
        like when you have a lifetime of time. As tense as you appeared on
        the left as your impatient self, see yourself as relaxed in your
        patience on the right. Now on the left side, see yourself as you
        appear when you're depressed. Look carefully. How does that make you
        feel? Can you be aware of the aura of doom and gloom you're
        radiating? And then, on the right side of your minds eye, see
        yourself as you are when you're joyous. Merge with that happiness.
        Know how others would see you.

        Continue seeing all the seemingly negative feelings and behaviors on
        the inner left-hand side of your minds eye and the opposite on the
        right. On the left, see yourself as jealous and on the right as how
        you appear when you are truly glad for someone else's sucess or
        happiness. On the left, see the bigoted you and on the right, the all-
        embracing. On the left the mean, on the right the sweet. See the
        stupid you and the brilliant. See the clumsy and the graceful. On the
        left, see the unsatisfied and on the right, the contented.

        Go on and on, becoming familiar with the "you" on the left and the
        opposite "you" on the right. Then see the total "you" who would be
        there on the left if none of the characteristics of the right side
        were present. Now see the "you" who would be the totality of yourself
        with the right side only if none of the behaviors and feelings of the
        left side "you" had ever appeared.

        The Dalai Lama tells us that there is nothing else necessary because
        just by seeing your negative left-side self, you will become so
        disgusted with yourself when you witness yourself acting in any of
        the left side ways that you will automatically cease any of those
        actions and start doing and feeling the right-side actions.
        Eventually, you will become the right-side you exclusively.
        Eventually, you will have peace, compassion, wisdom, good health,
        patience, and all the other glorious aspects of life.

        This technique has the potential to change your life profoundly for
        the better. It is one of the best antidotes for negativity. It is
        consistent with his unlimited compassion that the Dalai Lama has
        shared it with us.
      • jodyrrr
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
          <hjackdavis@a...> wrote:
          > i have been mediting daily since may
          > im up to 45 mins a day
          > even though i make upsetting decsions that leave me feeling bad
          > its takes me so very long to feel good again
          > i have gotten such clarity and awareness from meditating and made
          > such changes in my life since may
          > i have a long list of benefits from my meditation
          > but i truly seek help with the bad choices that i make that pull me
          > in the gutter
          > thanks for giving me the oppurtunity to tell where i am with my
          > meditation at the present moment
          > jack in kentucky

          Hey Jack.

          Have you thought about trying psychotherapy?
          I truly believe that *everyone* would benefit
          from the counsel of a good therapist, regardless
          of whether they may be considered a victim of
          a psychopathology.

          The trick is finding a good one, but if and when
          you do, in concert with your meditation, you may
          find the boost you need to get through the rough
          patches we all encounter in our lives (often
          closely related to those rough patches we've
          already been through.)

          --jody.
        • Greg Goode
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
            At 06:50 PM 8/30/2004 +0000, jodyrrr wrote:

            >Hey Jack.
            >
            >Have you thought about trying psychotherapy?
            >I truly believe that *everyone* would benefit
            >from the counsel of a good therapist, regardless
            >of whether they may be considered a victim of
            >a psychopathology.
            >
            >The trick is finding a good one, but if and when
            >you do, in concert with your meditation, you may
            >find the boost you need to get through the rough
            >patches we all encounter in our lives (often
            >closely related to those rough patches we've
            >already been through.)

            ===Let me second this! I'm very glad to hear
            favorable recommendations about psychotherapy,
            since it is fashionable in some recent spiritual
            quarters to claim that psychotherapy will impede
            spiritual progress. Not true! I know several
            people who left the neo-advaita satsang movement,
            began psychotherapy, and are no longer seeking
            what they sought from satsang.

            --Greg
          • jodyrrr
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Greg Goode
              <goode@d...> wrote:
              > At 06:50 PM 8/30/2004 +0000, jodyrrr wrote:
              >
              > >Hey Jack.
              > >
              > >Have you thought about trying psychotherapy?
              > >I truly believe that *everyone* would benefit
              > >from the counsel of a good therapist, regardless
              > >of whether they may be considered a victim of
              > >a psychopathology.
              > >
              > >The trick is finding a good one, but if and when
              > >you do, in concert with your meditation, you may
              > >find the boost you need to get through the rough
              > >patches we all encounter in our lives (often
              > >closely related to those rough patches we've
              > >already been through.)
              >

              > ===Let me second this! I'm very glad to hear
              > favorable recommendations about psychotherapy,
              > since it is fashionable in some recent spiritual
              > quarters to claim that psychotherapy will impede
              > spiritual progress. Not true! I know several
              > people who left the neo-advaita satsang movement,
              > began psychotherapy, and are no longer seeking
              > what they sought from satsang.
              >
              > --Greg

              Absolutely. That's because (and I know that you
              know this) that what they were seeking in satsang,
              they were never going to get there.

              Most folks come to spirituality looking for self-
              improvement, because they are operating under a
              cloud of self-loathing. By finding a guru and
              achieving his/her love, they believe they will be
              able to love themselves. Unfortunately, it doesn't
              always work this way. In fact, it rarely does.
              A quick survey of any bigtime guru's community
              will prove this. There is a higher concentration
              of emotionally fucked-up people there than in
              almost any other gathering of individuals.

              Getting God and seeking the Self are good things,
              but this is not the same as finding inner clarity,
              which requires a rigorous and brutally honest self-
              examination. There are very few gurus who can truly
              help you with that. A good therapist can, and will,
              if you are lucky enough to find one.

              --jody.
            • Jeff Belyea
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
                Hi Jody -

                This is interesting to consider -
                the difference between therapy and
                meditation. Our personal crossfire
                positions are clear (at least to us).
                So no rerun, but in this
                time of political debate - equal
                time (words, bites, bytes):

                Certainly, psychology offers a
                proven model for dealing with
                life's perceived ups and downs.
                And so does meditation. They
                just come at it from different
                angles (some inner, some outer).
                Transformational psychology
                blends the goal of psychotherapy
                and the "supreme" goal of meditation.

                Without a sound psychological
                worldview, meditation may have
                little value, so I agree that
                adjunct therapy may be wise, but
                it depends on what the "seeker"
                is seeking in meditation, and
                of course, what issues are
                disrupting peace of mind.

                Here's where therapy takes
                return fire from your wild meditation
                buckshots:

                Much psychotherapy is focused on
                reassessment of life experiences;
                kind of, "If I only knew then,
                what I know now". For example,
                when one looks back at an event
                that had a powerful impact, at
                an earlier point in life and
                reassesses their reaction from
                a more mature and insightful
                point of view, it is thought
                that they can find emotional
                release from that earlier impact,
                realize that their reaction was
                immature and even a misinterpretation,
                and thereby effect an emotional
                healing.

                Unfortunately, what so often
                happens in therapy; such as in
                support groups and the constellation
                model, is that the revisiting
                and stirring of old issues effects
                something very much like kicking
                old horseshit. The stink returns
                and the earlier emotional impact,
                rather than being lessened,
                is exacerbated.

                Nice theory, catharsis,
                but in many (if not most) cases
                there is no release, only a
                revisiting of a bad dream, over
                and over and over...for years.
                The "patient" never finds release
                and comes to be ensnared in the
                support group's childish
                sentimentality - and all the
                personal attention it brings.
                At this point, the one who comes
                for therapy has discovered a
                way to become the focus of
                attention, the recipient of
                endless hugs and tears...and
                this is their pay off. No way
                will they let go of the emotional
                impact, because each time they
                rerun the movie, they get all
                kinds of sympathy and attention.

                Of course, both meditation and
                therapy are infused with "teachers"
                who harbor "superstitious" imaginings
                and feed on others to support
                their own egoic need to feel superior
                or even "supernatural". They each
                sell their own brand of horseshit
                to some unsuspecting people
                who come for guidance/therapy...and the
                results are often disappointment and
                emotional disaster.

                This isn't universal, and certainly
                groups like AA and other support
                structures have helped many people,
                and probably saved many lives, and
                many enlightened therapists bring
                an intentional "applied metaphysics"
                to therapy. And spiritual communities
                typically hum with peace of mind
                and goodwill. (Unless someone
                is stuck in the late 60s and early
                70s).

                Meditation is a different matter:

                Nice theory, meditation. The idea
                that entering a silence of the mind
                will trigger a "response" from God,
                from our higher Self, is one that
                has captured the imagination since...
                most probably before recorded
                history. Certainly history records
                testimony of meditation's efficacy
                in dealing with a broad range of
                human "ills". The mystic path
                is known to virtually all religions
                and spiritual traditions.

                Satsang points to this - it is not
                where IT is found, but is can
                provide a "lamp unto our feet"
                that may guide us to a realization
                of our true home - within God.

                And on a less lofty plane, there
                are a kazillion reports of today's
                meditators reporting improved
                stress management and ability
                to relax, more non-judgmental
                acceptance of other personality
                types, improved relationships
                and more positive self-talk
                a renewed enthusiasm for life/career
                goals ((not to mention the host of
                physiological benefits of
                meditation) ...to name a few.

                To return to a spiritual context...

                Meditation potentially holds a key
                to the entrance to another realm.
                This is not therapy, in the classic
                sense. Entrance into this realm,
                beyond space and time, into the
                eternal holy moment, requires
                "death" of all previously held
                concepts, a beginner's mind, an
                emptying, a total surrender...
                a willingness to die to the former
                self, and the opportunity to
                meet the Self - an entirely new
                (or possibly newly remembered)
                Self. The needy neurotic who
                comes to the master meditation
                teacher as a sincere student
                may receive the unique healing,
                another sort of resolution, an
                entirely new perspective on what
                seemed to be difficult circumstances,
                a startling new "wisdom", a
                gnosis that cures neurosis.

                To find the right key that
                unlocks the door to peace of mind
                and perfect resolution of past
                problems and pain of remorse,
                is to be "reborn" a Self of pure
                existential courage, to know
                perfect peace of mind and
                a joy unspeakable...

                At this level of meditation
                theistic language is often
                used...God is remembered.
                Our intimate "place" within
                God is remembered.

                Meditation may opened the door to
                this "heavenly, eternal" realm,
                but the decision to enter into the
                "enlightenment" or "awakening"
                or "holy of holies" is left to
                the "seeker". The teacher points the
                way, and offers guidance along
                the path, drawing upon his or her
                own direct personal experience of
                having entered the place beyond
                time and space, where a new
                being replaced the old one.

                As Jesus, said, "We (teachers)
                know of what we speak."

                This is the role of the true, ardent
                and sometimes over-enthusiastic
                Boddhisattva. They wait, either on
                this earthly plane, or on what might be
                called the astral plane (beyond
                space and time - as in where
                Jesus resides for those who
                have "met" him) at the entrance
                to this "changing room", this
                place of removal of darkness
                (gu-ru means "darkness remover")
                as in a darkened consciousness,
                as servants to those sentient
                beings who have come to the
                point of earnest aspiration.

                This shift in perception, known
                to one who has emerged from God's
                changing room, is not gained as
                a result of a new rational insight
                or a more mature reaction to
                past life experiences. This
                change is, in a manner of speaking,
                pure grace - God's work. Grace
                gives new life, a new being, a new
                knowing (gnosis - the gnosis
                that cures neurosis) that changes
                everything - while changing
                nothing. No words suffice.
                The shift is only known
                experientially.

                Meditators and therapy clients
                meet each other going the other
                way everyday.

                Papajeff

                <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Greg
                Goode
                > <goode@d...> wrote:
                > > At 06:50 PM 8/30/2004 +0000, jodyrrr wrote:
                > >
                > > >Hey Jack.
                > > >
                > > >Have you thought about trying psychotherapy?
                > > >I truly believe that *everyone* would benefit
                > > >from the counsel of a good therapist, regardless
                > > >of whether they may be considered a victim of
                > > >a psychopathology.
                > > >
                > > >The trick is finding a good one, but if and when
                > > >you do, in concert with your meditation, you may
                > > >find the boost you need to get through the rough
                > > >patches we all encounter in our lives (often
                > > >closely related to those rough patches we've
                > > >already been through.)
                > >

                > > ===Let me second this! I'm very glad to hear
                > > favorable recommendations about psychotherapy,
                > > since it is fashionable in some recent spiritual
                > > quarters to claim that psychotherapy will impede
                > > spiritual progress. Not true! I know several
                > > people who left the neo-advaita satsang movement,
                > > began psychotherapy, and are no longer seeking
                > > what they sought from satsang.
                > >
                > > --Greg
                >
                > Absolutely. That's because (and I know that you
                > know this) that what they were seeking in satsang,
                > they were never going to get there.
                >
                > Most folks come to spirituality looking for self-
                > improvement, because they are operating under a
                > cloud of self-loathing. By finding a guru and
                > achieving his/her love, they believe they will be
                > able to love themselves. Unfortunately, it doesn't
                > always work this way. In fact, it rarely does.
                > A quick survey of any bigtime guru's community
                > will prove this. There is a higher concentration
                > of emotionally fucked-up people there than in
                > almost any other gathering of individuals.
                >
                > Getting God and seeking the Self are good things,
                > but this is not the same as finding inner clarity,
                > which requires a rigorous and brutally honest self-
                > examination. There are very few gurus who can truly
                > help you with that. A good therapist can, and will,
                > if you are lucky enough to find one.
                >
                > --jody.
              • jodyrrr
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
                  <jeff@m...> wrote:
                  > Hi Jody -

                  Hey Jeff.

                  [snip]

                  > Certainly, psychology offers a
                  > proven model for dealing with
                  > life's perceived ups and downs.
                  > And so does meditation.

                  Perhaps. However, I'd contend that's
                  a new development. IOW, that wasn't
                  part of the original specification.
                  Meditation did not develop as a self-
                  help technique. That came in the early
                  20th century.

                  Making meditation a replacement for
                  psychotherapy may extend its marketability,
                  but it's not an approach that all meditation
                  teachers would recommend.

                  [snip]

                  > Much psychotherapy is focused on
                  > reassessment of life experiences;

                  Not exactly. Psychotherapy is about
                  relieving emotional tension. One way
                  to accomplish this is by way of life
                  assessement. The reassessment comes
                  after, when the emotional polarity
                  has been somewhat neutralized.

                  > kind of, "If I only knew then,
                  > what I know now". For example,
                  > when one looks back at an event
                  > that had a powerful impact, at
                  > an earlier point in life and
                  > reassesses their reaction from
                  > a more mature and insightful
                  > point of view, it is thought
                  > that they can find emotional
                  > release from that earlier impact,
                  > realize that their reaction was
                  > immature and even a misinterpretation,
                  > and thereby effect an emotional
                  > healing.

                  That's not my impression of psycho-
                  therapy at all. It's reliving past
                  events to unlock the emotional potential
                  that is stored there. That happens
                  completely outside of any subjective
                  evaluations as to what was correct
                  or incorrect about the reaction at
                  the time.

                  This isn't to say that looking back
                  doesn't reveal the mistakes we made,
                  but a good psychotherapist isn't going
                  to view them as such, nor recommmend that
                  they be viewed as mistakes by their clients.

                  > Unfortunately, what so often
                  > happens in therapy; such as in
                  > support groups and the constellation
                  > model, is that the revisiting
                  > and stirring of old issues effects
                  > something very much like kicking
                  > old horseshit. The stink returns
                  > and the earlier emotional impact,
                  > rather than being lessened,
                  > is exacerbated.

                  That's not the fault of psychotherapy,
                  just a crappy therapist.

                  > Nice theory, catharsis,
                  > but in many (if not most) cases
                  > there is no release, only a
                  > revisiting of a bad dream, over
                  > and over and over...for years.

                  That statement seemingly contradicts
                  my entire life.

                  > The "patient" never finds release
                  > and comes to be ensnared in the
                  > support group's childish
                  > sentimentality - and all the
                  > personal attention it brings.
                  > At this point, the one who comes
                  > for therapy has discovered a
                  > way to become the focus of
                  > attention, the recipient of
                  > endless hugs and tears...and
                  > this is their pay off. No way
                  > will they let go of the emotional
                  > impact, because each time they
                  > rerun the movie, they get all
                  > kinds of sympathy and attention.

                  Again, bad therapist. No cookie.

                  [snip]

                  > Nice theory, meditation. The idea
                  > that entering a silence of the mind
                  > will trigger a "response" from God,
                  > from our higher Self, is one that
                  > has captured the imagination since...

                  That's your theory of meditation, Jeff.
                  Mine is this: mind is entrained by the
                  repetition of mantra, or silence, or
                  whatever. Mental discipline follows,
                  and mind content becomes less cluttered.

                  That's the ideal situation. In many folks,
                  dark stuff gets stirred up. It has to for
                  progress to occur. A [good] therapist can
                  be very helpful if this occurs, and it does
                  occur. It did in me, and in a number of
                  others I've known in my life.

                  IOW, a good, effective meditation practice
                  isn't always peaches and creme. In fact, if
                  you don't run into a few shadows, it's not
                  doing much of anything for you with regards
                  to personal transformation, IMO.

                  [snip]

                  > Meditators and therapy clients
                  > meet each other going the other
                  > way everyday.
                  >

                  > Papajeff

                  And some find that by walking in both
                  directions, they end up just where they wanted
                  to be more quickly and with more clarity than
                  if they'd just gone one way or the other.

                  --jody
                • Jeff Belyea
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
                    Thanks, Jody. It seems that
                    meditation, yoga, visualization,
                    guided imagery, relaxation
                    techniques and even contemporary
                    hypnotherapy - acknowledged in
                    1957 by the medical establishment
                    (sorry for the hold-over hippie
                    vocabulary) are being blended
                    more and more into "mainstream"
                    therapies and overall healthcare,
                    education, business and sport.

                    Billions are being spent on
                    these "alternative or complementary"
                    approaches to well-being. And
                    sometimes, they go more
                    efficiently and wholistically
                    to the "heart" of the matter.

                    Agreed that a combination
                    of good counsel and meditation
                    can be the best route for some.

                    However...

                    The spiritual aspect of meditation
                    need not get lost in its relatively
                    new role in the self-help (Self-help)
                    arena. Even here, it can be
                    breakthrough-useful as an
                    "applied metaphysics".

                    God most probably doesn't
                    need man's psychotherapy. (ü)

                    Best,

                    Jeff
                  • jodyrrr
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
                      <jeff@m...> wrote:

                      [snip]

                      > The spiritual aspect of meditation
                      > need not get lost in its relatively
                      > new role in the self-help (Self-help)
                      > arena. Even here, it can be
                      > breakthrough-useful as an
                      > "applied metaphysics".
                      >
                      > God most probably doesn't
                      > need man's psychotherapy. (ü)

                      Only when He manifests as us men (and women.)

                      > Best,
                      >
                      > Jeff

                      --jody.
                    • Jeff Belyea
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
                        <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                        > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff
                        Belyea"
                        > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                        >
                        > [snip]
                        >
                        > > The spiritual aspect of meditation
                        > > need not get lost in its relatively
                        > > new role in the self-help (Self-help)
                        > > arena. Even here, it can be
                        > > breakthrough-useful as an
                        > > "applied metaphysics".
                        > >
                        > > God most probably doesn't
                        > > need man's psychotherapy. (ü)
                        >
                        > Only when He manifests as us men (and women.)
                        >
                        > > Best,
                        > >
                        > > Jeff
                        >
                        > --jody.

                        Sure, even though we are
                        made manifest in the image of God,
                        what is encountered (or possibly
                        wired into us) when manifested
                        in this physical, rational form,
                        is the genesis of the feeling of
                        separation - what is called maya
                        or illusion in some traditions; and
                        the feeling that we are (our identity is)
                        the manifest, rather than the spirit,
                        a spark of God's own fire.

                        Forgetting that we are within God,
                        or being coerced out of knowing this
                        (socialization - being force-fed from
                        the tree of duality) is what prepares
                        the ground for dark disturbing doubts -
                        not only about religion or sprituality, but
                        about who we are at our core.

                        Meditation, at its loftiest, is one
                        vehicle for dispelling the notion
                        that we are separate from God.