Meditation Lessons - 2nd attempt to post

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2004
      This is being posted secondary to a request, and is one of the
      articles on our web site in the Concepts of Meditation section.
      I tried to post this earlier tonight, so if it shows up again, let's
      just laugh at the universe's little cyber chain yanking. In any event,
      In any event, here are some...

      Meditation Lessons

      Meditation is also known as Astanga yoga, the 8-limbed path of yoga.
      The eight limbs of Astanga yoga are: yama (self-restraint), niyama
      (religious observances or canons), asana (posture), pranayama
      (restraint of breath), pratyahara (control of the senses), dharana
      (concentration), dhyana (meditation) and samadhi (super-conscious
      state). The traditional teaching is that if we are not secure in any
      of the first 5, we will be distracted, and not able to concentrate
      (#6), and thus, not be able to meditate(#7) or attain/experience the
      super-conscious state (#8). When we are on the path, we may ask or
      answer questions that deal with any or all of these topics. The
      opportunity to share something beneficial about one aspect opens the
      door to uncovering a truth applicable to all of them. If a seeker asks
      a question that relates to lets say, controlling the appetite, a
      teacher may discuss how desires inevitably cause suffering, which is
      applicable on all of the levels/limbs, and thus be giving 8 "answers"
      simultaneously. This can be done with a scriptural quote, a parable, a
      smile, a miracle, or even a joke - in many and any ways. So, we may
      come to meditation class and find a "beginner" student asking about
      something like how to learn to be patient, while another so-called
      advanced student is asking how to astral travel, and the teacher
      answers in a way that helps rip the veil of ignorance from both. But
      on the surface, it may seem that the teacher is having a discussion
      about a football teams' need for a middle linebacker. The ultimate
      meditation teacher is within you now and always. The life you are
      leading is your lesson, and the world you are in is your classroom. Be
      a good student. Pay attention. Don't talk in class. Witness your life
      and the answer you seek will present itself, sometimes in the form of
      a physical teacher and classroom, sometimes with an intellectual
      concept, and most commonly with the very common. There are 4 qualities
      a student should bring to class. The first is being able to
      discriminate between the eternal and the temporary, the infinite and
      the finite. Secondly, dispassion relative to likes and dislikes.
      Third, Self control in the form of mental, emotional, and physical
      control from unrighteous actions and the ability to be one-pointed,
      focused and undistractable. The last quality is to have a burning
      desire to be liberated. Just as a child brings their pencils and
      notebooks to school, be ever prepared for the class that is your life
      by having these four attributes. To learn more about this, read, go to
      meditation class, pray, and so on. And perhaps the best thing you can
      do is to not just talk about it, but actually to meditate.

      Now, as far as this lesson is concerned, the great Saint, Swami
      Sivananda, used to say much more and much better by simply saying "Be
      good, do good", and the not so well know Kir Li Molari would probably
      say "Words! Words! Words!". But, I hope this has given you something
      beneficial to meditate on.