Journal Entry, Eve-November 1

  • eveneon
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2002
      Date: November 1 2002
      Time: 11:00am
      Duration: 25 minutes (open)
      Technique: Body and breath awareness
      Variation: Chanted OM silently

      My concentration was so-so today. Mind chatter medium to high. I'm
      feeling like a beginning meditator again. Any ability I had to
      concentrate and focus seems to have been lost when I stopped
      meditating for a while. Although, this is only the second session I
      have had since I started up again so it's hard to say. Oh well. I'm
      trying not to have any expectations.
      I have had physical discomfort during my sessions, which I believe
      is just due to getting used to meditating again. I began my session
      sitting on the edge of the bed with my eyes closed. After 20 minutes
      or so my back began to hurt. The pain got so bad I had to shift
      position and lay down on the bed. I opened my eyes at this point to
      keep from falling asleep. This worked for a little while then I
      noticed my concentration starting to slip and I was getting sleepy,
      so I decided to end my session. I noticed that when I lay down on the
      bed my back pain went away, but was quickly replaced by tenseness in
      my jaw. I couldn't really watch my thoughts because I was too focused
      on how my body was feeling.
    • Tony
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2002
        Hi Eve,

        I am not sure if we talked about this before but have you tried focusing on
        the pain sensations while you meditate? I sense that the pain may have an
        emotional part to it as well as a physical part. Exploring the emotional
        part might reduce the overall sensation of pain.

        ...Tony

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7, 2002
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "Tony" <tosime@b...> wrote:
          > Hi Eve,
          >
          > I am not sure if we talked about this before but have you tried
          focusing on
          > the pain sensations while you meditate? I sense that the pain may
          have an
          > emotional part to it as well as a physical part. Exploring the
          emotional
          > part might reduce the overall sensation of pain.
          >
          > ...Tony

          Hi Tony,
          I have tried focusing on the pain in the past. It seemed to have a
          fluid quality to it; it would come and go depending on much I
          concentrated on it. Since it isn't something that comes up everytime
          and not really much of a distraction for me, I don't explore it much.
          It seems to have gotten better also.
          Eve