Re: how about this

  • Don James
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      Messages Messages Help

      Reply | Forward | View Source | Unwrap Lines

      Message 13144 of 13157 | Previous | Next [ Up Thread ] Message
      Index Msg #

      From: medit8ionsociety
      Date: Sat Aug 7, 2004 10:37 am
      Subject: Re: how about this

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
      <dscasta@y...> wrote:
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
      > > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
      > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"

      > be
      > this
      > most of

      > > > let me remove the word "being", cause someone may not like it.
      > > >

      > > > meditation is the "health" of who you are.
      > > >

      > > > dabo
      > >
      > > Dear Dabo,
      > > I am really not sure at all of what you mean by using the term
      > > "health" relative to meditation. Classically, meditation is the
      7th
      > > step in an 8 part process that leads to (here goes more subjective
      > > words:-) Enlightenment/Cosmic Comsciousness/Realization.
      > > The first 5 steps establish a strong foundation by having you
      > practice
      > > dispassion by neither running towards things or away from them,
      and
      > > discrimination between the real and the unreal, the finite and the
      > > infinite, and in a way, right from wrong. Also practiced and
      gained
      > is
      > > self control, by having you master your senses, breath, and
      > generally
      > > all reactivity. Then you aren't doing the things that are "wrong"
      > > (take your peace away/distract you) and you are ready for the 6th
      > > step, which is Concentration. You then find, after making all the
      > > efforts necessary and appropriate, when you really are
      Concentrating
      > > and your mind is focused and one-pointed, that Meditation (the 7th
      > > step) comes to you effortlessly. And ultimately, in the 8th and
      > > ultimate part, Contemplation, what is revealed is what has always
      > been
      > > the case... that (as you put it), "who you are" is
      > > Truth/Consciousness/Bliss. And you live happily ever after.
      > > Peace and blessings,
      > > Bob
      >

      > Bob,
      >
      > you make realization sound like a step-by-step process. a cause-and-
      > effect chain, progress along which is guaranteed by the efforts of
      > the practitioner.

      Well, you're wrong and you're right. What I have described is the
      thousands of years old, tried and proven methodology of Raja Yoga. And
      many many Enlightened people have credited this process with providing
      the pure soil for the heavenly crop to be able to bear fruit, or some
      other similar lofty and pretty sounding kind of pretentious cliche.
      But there is nothing guaranteed, no matter the effort involved. It is
      by Grace/Luck/The Fickle Finger of Fate/the right amount of drugs or
      inner chemistry or neuro workings/...whatever...that has this most
      momentious and also the least remarkable ("Why this was right there
      the whole time!!! Why did't I see what was right in front of me?!!!",
      etc) Realization "Be"(happen).

      -yes, different strokes for different aspirants. One may not get
      enlightened by your method but the next person may. Either way, one
      has to learn all these things you mention, whether that process
      itself is the catalyst for awakening.

      > somehow, this does not coincide with my understanding of
      realization.

      Yup! It is beyond and before as well as concurrent
      with "understanding".

      -realization is a level of consciousness. So in a way, everyone who
      is conscious at all is realized, it's just a matter of degrees, it's
      not so black and white, either/or. It's a figure/ground shift of the
      foundation of attention, shifting from the habit of mental
      identification and filtering, pushing that stuff into the background
      and allowing awareness to be in the foreground. And then resoloving
      all the mental confusion.

      > > And you live happily ever after.
      >
      > you promise? :)

      Guaranteed, money back if not satisfied:-)