[Meditation Society of America] Re:New to everything and more questions

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7 7:27 PM
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, fyrfly5770@a...
      wrote:
      > Hi everyone.
      >
      > My name is Alyssa- I'm also new to the group and fairly new to
      meditation. I've been practicing yoga for about one year now,
      recently began studying Buddhism, and very recently (about 2 months
      ago) began meditating. I usually do breath-focused meditation, eyes
      closed, and usually choose a word to use to refocus myself if I start
      to drift. I also have found myself "dozing" while sitting before.
      It seems to me as if some days I am extremely focused and can sit for
      30-40 minutes. Other days, I start to doze, am able to pull myself
      out of it and refocus, and experience it happening again minutes
      later. On these "off" days, I just stop myself, admit that it isn't
      the right time, and call it quits for the day (don't know if this
      is "right" or "wrong", but this is what I do).

      > Because I am fairly new to meditation, I have two experiences that
      I'd like to pose to the group and see if anyone can relate (being a
      pesky human, I seem to need an explaination). Twice while I've been
      sitting, I've had very powerful experiences, and I don't know what to
      make of them. Both times, I would guess I had been sitting for about
      15 minutes when they occured. At about 15 minutes or so, my mind
      often gets amazingly clear. During the first occurence, there was
      nothing there, and I felt this amazing sense of space in my
      perception..as if I could just sit in that space forever. I remember
      feeling as if I was encoutering ultimate truth in that space. Then,
      I just burst into tears. I was sitting there sobbing and sobbing.
      It felt good, but it also scared me because it was so unexpected.
      The second occurence happened during another sitting. I was focusing
      on drawing energy up my spine on my inhales, and down my spine on my
      exhales (like a circuit). After awhile, I felt this warmth begin in
      my pelvic area (weird, I know) and travel up through my body. When
      it reached my head, my head got warm and my eyelids started to
      twitch/ flutter. It spead through my body like a heat and I started
      perspiring. I stayed with it for awhile, but then it started to
      scare me and I decided to open my eyes and stop. After thinking
      about the experience, I started to wonder if it wasn't merely my mind
      trying to entertain itself/ distract my concentration by
      subconsciously causing these physicial sensations. But honestly, I
      don't know what it was. I could live with not knowing, but wanted to
      put this out to the group and see if these are common occurences that
      others have experienced as well (I'm sure they are).

      > Wow, that was a long email! Any comments, sharing of common
      experiences is welcome...I don't know anyone else who meditates, so
      this is really my only source of dialogue.

      > namaste
      > alyssa

      Hello, Alyssa, you might try doing google searches on
      'kundalini' and 'spiritual emergence'. Or, you might be
      interested in reading Bonnie L. Greenwell's "Energies
      of Transformation: A Guide to the Kundalini Process".

      There used to be a yahoo group called Kundalini
      Gateway that served as a sort of discussion/support
      group for people with experiences such as you have
      described. It isn't around Yahoo anymore, but if you
      google the name of the list, you will probably find
      it elsewhere on the net. If you subscribe, a post such
      as you made, above, will no doubt meet with much feedback.

      What you have experienced is not unusual, it is part
      and parcel of life. Despite its thunder, we are usually
      too noisy to hear it. We also seem to place a lot of
      barriers in the way of its 'operating smoothly'...
      some have said that some of the 'wilder' experiences
      of this energy come not from its movement, but from
      obstructing its movement. By the way, the aim of yoga
      is to remove such obstacles such that the mind becomes
      still. Basically, as Bob will no doubt advise, relax,
      meditate, don't pay it too much attention... and...
      I would add: do what you feel is best.

      Good night...
      Nina
    • markwotter704
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9 12:21 AM
        Hi Alyssa,

        I don't really know much about meditation, but my experience, after
        dabbling for some years, is that it all may be trusted implicitly.
        I'm at a place now where meditation is simply being aware. I look
        for thoughts sometimes, but often there are none. (although the
        looking is a thought... it wanders off to do its own thing and
        awareness stays and just enjoys.) It's quite nice. But then, I did
        several years of holotropic breathwork and had lots
        of "experiences", all of which were complely safe. (lots of emotion
        and energy work, much of which was scary at the time, but all of
        which was safe...) You're safe right now, right? I think that is
        what you will find always to be true if you just are willing that it
        will be that way. So, I don't recommend you "force" things, but that
        you pay attention to your limits, but allow that they will expand
        naturally. enjoy!

        Love, Mark