[Meditation Society of America] Re:New to everything and more questions

  • Lord_Slinky@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2004
      namaste alyssa,

      Those two experiences seem really cool. I've only been at meditation
      for about a week now. I'm also trying to learn self hypnosis. I've
      got a specific goal in mind that I'm working on (I've got an anxiety
      problem) I first tried meditation about a year and half ago, then
      irregularly - once every couple of months when I'd visit my
      aunt/uncle (I'm Indian and they would go to a hindu temple on
      weekends where there'd be a meditation class). I don't believe I've
      gotten to a deeply relaxed state, but hopefully will be able to go
      into one sometime soon.

      Again, I'm a newbie, so maybe my advice isn't optimal, but as far as
      falling asleep goes, I've read that you don't want to associate
      meditation (or self hypnosis) with sleep, and if it happens often,
      maybe you have to change your posture (with the worst case being
      having to stand up while practicing to keep your balance).

      Slink
    • Nina
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2004
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, fyrfly5770@a...
        wrote:
        > Hi everyone.
        >
        > My name is Alyssa- I'm also new to the group and fairly new to
        meditation. I've been practicing yoga for about one year now,
        recently began studying Buddhism, and very recently (about 2 months
        ago) began meditating. I usually do breath-focused meditation, eyes
        closed, and usually choose a word to use to refocus myself if I start
        to drift. I also have found myself "dozing" while sitting before.
        It seems to me as if some days I am extremely focused and can sit for
        30-40 minutes. Other days, I start to doze, am able to pull myself
        out of it and refocus, and experience it happening again minutes
        later. On these "off" days, I just stop myself, admit that it isn't
        the right time, and call it quits for the day (don't know if this
        is "right" or "wrong", but this is what I do).

        > Because I am fairly new to meditation, I have two experiences that
        I'd like to pose to the group and see if anyone can relate (being a
        pesky human, I seem to need an explaination). Twice while I've been
        sitting, I've had very powerful experiences, and I don't know what to
        make of them. Both times, I would guess I had been sitting for about
        15 minutes when they occured. At about 15 minutes or so, my mind
        often gets amazingly clear. During the first occurence, there was
        nothing there, and I felt this amazing sense of space in my
        perception..as if I could just sit in that space forever. I remember
        feeling as if I was encoutering ultimate truth in that space. Then,
        I just burst into tears. I was sitting there sobbing and sobbing.
        It felt good, but it also scared me because it was so unexpected.
        The second occurence happened during another sitting. I was focusing
        on drawing energy up my spine on my inhales, and down my spine on my
        exhales (like a circuit). After awhile, I felt this warmth begin in
        my pelvic area (weird, I know) and travel up through my body. When
        it reached my head, my head got warm and my eyelids started to
        twitch/ flutter. It spead through my body like a heat and I started
        perspiring. I stayed with it for awhile, but then it started to
        scare me and I decided to open my eyes and stop. After thinking
        about the experience, I started to wonder if it wasn't merely my mind
        trying to entertain itself/ distract my concentration by
        subconsciously causing these physicial sensations. But honestly, I
        don't know what it was. I could live with not knowing, but wanted to
        put this out to the group and see if these are common occurences that
        others have experienced as well (I'm sure they are).

        > Wow, that was a long email! Any comments, sharing of common
        experiences is welcome...I don't know anyone else who meditates, so
        this is really my only source of dialogue.

        > namaste
        > alyssa

        Hello, Alyssa, you might try doing google searches on
        'kundalini' and 'spiritual emergence'. Or, you might be
        interested in reading Bonnie L. Greenwell's "Energies
        of Transformation: A Guide to the Kundalini Process".

        There used to be a yahoo group called Kundalini
        Gateway that served as a sort of discussion/support
        group for people with experiences such as you have
        described. It isn't around Yahoo anymore, but if you
        google the name of the list, you will probably find
        it elsewhere on the net. If you subscribe, a post such
        as you made, above, will no doubt meet with much feedback.

        What you have experienced is not unusual, it is part
        and parcel of life. Despite its thunder, we are usually
        too noisy to hear it. We also seem to place a lot of
        barriers in the way of its 'operating smoothly'...
        some have said that some of the 'wilder' experiences
        of this energy come not from its movement, but from
        obstructing its movement. By the way, the aim of yoga
        is to remove such obstacles such that the mind becomes
        still. Basically, as Bob will no doubt advise, relax,
        meditate, don't pay it too much attention... and...
        I would add: do what you feel is best.

        Good night...
        Nina
      • markwotter704
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9, 2004
          Hi Alyssa,

          I don't really know much about meditation, but my experience, after
          dabbling for some years, is that it all may be trusted implicitly.
          I'm at a place now where meditation is simply being aware. I look
          for thoughts sometimes, but often there are none. (although the
          looking is a thought... it wanders off to do its own thing and
          awareness stays and just enjoys.) It's quite nice. But then, I did
          several years of holotropic breathwork and had lots
          of "experiences", all of which were complely safe. (lots of emotion
          and energy work, much of which was scary at the time, but all of
          which was safe...) You're safe right now, right? I think that is
          what you will find always to be true if you just are willing that it
          will be that way. So, I don't recommend you "force" things, but that
          you pay attention to your limits, but allow that they will expand
          naturally. enjoy!

          Love, Mark