Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re:New to everything and more questions

  • fyrfly5770@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2004
      Hi everyone.

      My name is Alyssa- I'm also new to the group and fairly new to meditation. I've been practicing yoga for about one year now, recently began studying Buddhism, and very recently (about 2 months ago) began meditating. I usually do breath-focused meditation, eyes closed, and usually choose a word to use to refocus myself if I start to drift. I also have found myself "dozing" while sitting before. It seems to me as if some days I am extremely focused and can sit for 30-40 minutes. Other days, I start to doze, am able to pull myself out of it and refocus, and experience it happening again minutes later. On these "off" days, I just stop myself, admit that it isn't the right time, and call it quits for the day (don't know if this is "right" or "wrong", but this is what I do).

      Because I am fairly new to meditation, I have two experiences that I'd like to pose to the group and see if anyone can relate (being a pesky human, I seem to need an explaination). Twice while I've been sitting, I've had very powerful experiences, and I don't know what to make of them. Both times, I would guess I had been sitting for about 15 minutes when they occured. At about 15 minutes or so, my mind often gets amazingly clear. During the first occurence, there was nothing there, and I felt this amazing sense of space in my perception..as if I could just sit in that space forever. I remember feeling as if I was encoutering ultimate truth in that space. Then, I just burst into tears. I was sitting there sobbing and sobbing. It felt good, but it also scared me because it was so unexpected. The second occurence happened during another sitting. I was focusing on drawing energy up my spine on my inhales, and down my spine on my exhales (like a circuit). After awhile, I felt this warmth begin in my pelvic area (weird, I know) and travel up through my body. When it reached my head, my head got warm and my eyelids started to twitch/ flutter. It spead through my body like a heat and I started perspiring. I stayed with it for awhile, but then it started to scare me and I decided to open my eyes and stop. After thinking about the experience, I started to wonder if it wasn't merely my mind trying to entertain itself/ distract my concentration by subconsciously causing these physicial sensations. But honestly, I don't know what it was. I could live with not knowing, but wanted to put this out to the group and see if these are common occurences that others have experienced as well (I'm sure they are).

      Wow, that was a long email! Any comments, sharing of common experiences is welcome...I don't know anyone else who meditates, so this is really my only source of dialogue.

      namaste
      alyssa
    • Lord_Slinky@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2004
        namaste alyssa,

        Those two experiences seem really cool. I've only been at meditation
        for about a week now. I'm also trying to learn self hypnosis. I've
        got a specific goal in mind that I'm working on (I've got an anxiety
        problem) I first tried meditation about a year and half ago, then
        irregularly - once every couple of months when I'd visit my
        aunt/uncle (I'm Indian and they would go to a hindu temple on
        weekends where there'd be a meditation class). I don't believe I've
        gotten to a deeply relaxed state, but hopefully will be able to go
        into one sometime soon.

        Again, I'm a newbie, so maybe my advice isn't optimal, but as far as
        falling asleep goes, I've read that you don't want to associate
        meditation (or self hypnosis) with sleep, and if it happens often,
        maybe you have to change your posture (with the worst case being
        having to stand up while practicing to keep your balance).

        Slink
      • Nina
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2004
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, fyrfly5770@a...
          wrote:
          > Hi everyone.
          >
          > My name is Alyssa- I'm also new to the group and fairly new to
          meditation. I've been practicing yoga for about one year now,
          recently began studying Buddhism, and very recently (about 2 months
          ago) began meditating. I usually do breath-focused meditation, eyes
          closed, and usually choose a word to use to refocus myself if I start
          to drift. I also have found myself "dozing" while sitting before.
          It seems to me as if some days I am extremely focused and can sit for
          30-40 minutes. Other days, I start to doze, am able to pull myself
          out of it and refocus, and experience it happening again minutes
          later. On these "off" days, I just stop myself, admit that it isn't
          the right time, and call it quits for the day (don't know if this
          is "right" or "wrong", but this is what I do).

          > Because I am fairly new to meditation, I have two experiences that
          I'd like to pose to the group and see if anyone can relate (being a
          pesky human, I seem to need an explaination). Twice while I've been
          sitting, I've had very powerful experiences, and I don't know what to
          make of them. Both times, I would guess I had been sitting for about
          15 minutes when they occured. At about 15 minutes or so, my mind
          often gets amazingly clear. During the first occurence, there was
          nothing there, and I felt this amazing sense of space in my
          perception..as if I could just sit in that space forever. I remember
          feeling as if I was encoutering ultimate truth in that space. Then,
          I just burst into tears. I was sitting there sobbing and sobbing.
          It felt good, but it also scared me because it was so unexpected.
          The second occurence happened during another sitting. I was focusing
          on drawing energy up my spine on my inhales, and down my spine on my
          exhales (like a circuit). After awhile, I felt this warmth begin in
          my pelvic area (weird, I know) and travel up through my body. When
          it reached my head, my head got warm and my eyelids started to
          twitch/ flutter. It spead through my body like a heat and I started
          perspiring. I stayed with it for awhile, but then it started to
          scare me and I decided to open my eyes and stop. After thinking
          about the experience, I started to wonder if it wasn't merely my mind
          trying to entertain itself/ distract my concentration by
          subconsciously causing these physicial sensations. But honestly, I
          don't know what it was. I could live with not knowing, but wanted to
          put this out to the group and see if these are common occurences that
          others have experienced as well (I'm sure they are).

          > Wow, that was a long email! Any comments, sharing of common
          experiences is welcome...I don't know anyone else who meditates, so
          this is really my only source of dialogue.

          > namaste
          > alyssa

          Hello, Alyssa, you might try doing google searches on
          'kundalini' and 'spiritual emergence'. Or, you might be
          interested in reading Bonnie L. Greenwell's "Energies
          of Transformation: A Guide to the Kundalini Process".

          There used to be a yahoo group called Kundalini
          Gateway that served as a sort of discussion/support
          group for people with experiences such as you have
          described. It isn't around Yahoo anymore, but if you
          google the name of the list, you will probably find
          it elsewhere on the net. If you subscribe, a post such
          as you made, above, will no doubt meet with much feedback.

          What you have experienced is not unusual, it is part
          and parcel of life. Despite its thunder, we are usually
          too noisy to hear it. We also seem to place a lot of
          barriers in the way of its 'operating smoothly'...
          some have said that some of the 'wilder' experiences
          of this energy come not from its movement, but from
          obstructing its movement. By the way, the aim of yoga
          is to remove such obstacles such that the mind becomes
          still. Basically, as Bob will no doubt advise, relax,
          meditate, don't pay it too much attention... and...
          I would add: do what you feel is best.

          Good night...
          Nina
        • markwotter704
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 9, 2004
            Hi Alyssa,

            I don't really know much about meditation, but my experience, after
            dabbling for some years, is that it all may be trusted implicitly.
            I'm at a place now where meditation is simply being aware. I look
            for thoughts sometimes, but often there are none. (although the
            looking is a thought... it wanders off to do its own thing and
            awareness stays and just enjoys.) It's quite nice. But then, I did
            several years of holotropic breathwork and had lots
            of "experiences", all of which were complely safe. (lots of emotion
            and energy work, much of which was scary at the time, but all of
            which was safe...) You're safe right now, right? I think that is
            what you will find always to be true if you just are willing that it
            will be that way. So, I don't recommend you "force" things, but that
            you pay attention to your limits, but allow that they will expand
            naturally. enjoy!

            Love, Mark