Re: Meditation newbie question

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2004
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Lord_Slinky@y... wrote:
      > I've just started practicing a daily routine of meditation (10 min,
      > 2 or 3 times a days). I'm just focusing on my breath (and counting
      > it to help maintain focus).
      > I started a week ago. Anyways, the last two times I've noticed a
      > buildup of pressure (kind of like a sinus headache) at the front
      > sides of my head during the meditation. Is this something normal,
      > maybe a signal I'm in the alpha state? Or should this not be
      > happenning? Is it possible that I already had the headache and the
      > meditation temporarily intensified it?
      >
      > Slink

      Dear Slink,
      As an RN, I have to suggest that you get yourself checked out by a
      physician if you experience any physical sensations that seem "off",
      but the real headache we all have is the inner chatterer that judges,
      compares, and comments non-stop about everything. Meditation places
      you in the position of the Witness to this neverending flow of
      thoughts, as well as to the everchanging emotions and physical
      sensations that accompany them, and are taking place 24x7x365. So I
      suggest persevering non-reactively and silently witnessing what flows
      by. This will be the best educational experience of (literally) your
      life.
      BTW, I think you have chosen well to focus on your breath. I'm very
      into breathing and do it every day:-) Seriously, I love breathing
      techniques. You may want to check out a technique on our web site
      titled "108, An Easy-Hard Meditation Technique" You'll find it in the
      Archives section. Here's the site's URL http://www.meditationsociety.com
      With this method, you'll be able to track your progress nicely, while
      using counting to keep yourself focused.
      There is no better thing you can do for your Self then learn and do
      meditation. I wish you well.
    • Lord_Slinky@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2004
        Hi Bob,

        Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. As for that "not right
        feeling". I've been suffering from minor sinus headaches off and on
        for the past year (although i don't often take clarinex for it). So
        I take it its not normal for that pressure to build up during
        meditation. Well, hopefully its only the sinus headache feeling
        more intense as a result of the meditation and nothing else.

        Slink

        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        Lord_Slinky@y... wrote:
        > > I've just started practicing a daily routine of meditation (10
        min,
        > > 2 or 3 times a days). I'm just focusing on my breath (and
        counting
        > > it to help maintain focus).
        > > I started a week ago. Anyways, the last two times I've noticed a
        > > buildup of pressure (kind of like a sinus headache) at the front
        > > sides of my head during the meditation. Is this something
        normal,
        > > maybe a signal I'm in the alpha state? Or should this not be
        > > happenning? Is it possible that I already had the headache and
        the
        > > meditation temporarily intensified it?
        > >
        > > Slink
        >
        > Dear Slink,
        > As an RN, I have to suggest that you get yourself checked out by a
        > physician if you experience any physical sensations that
        seem "off",
        > but the real headache we all have is the inner chatterer that
        judges,
        > compares, and comments non-stop about everything. Meditation places
        > you in the position of the Witness to this neverending flow of
        > thoughts, as well as to the everchanging emotions and physical
        > sensations that accompany them, and are taking place 24x7x365. So I
        > suggest persevering non-reactively and silently witnessing what
        flows
        > by. This will be the best educational experience of (literally)
        your
        > life.
        > BTW, I think you have chosen well to focus on your breath. I'm very
        > into breathing and do it every day:-) Seriously, I love breathing
        > techniques. You may want to check out a technique on our web site
        > titled "108, An Easy-Hard Meditation Technique" You'll find it in
        the
        > Archives section. Here's the site's URL
        http://www.meditationsociety.com
        > With this method, you'll be able to track your progress nicely,
        while
        > using counting to keep yourself focused.
        > There is no better thing you can do for your Self then learn and do
        > meditation. I wish you well.
        > Peace and blessings,
        > Bob
      • Nina
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2004
          wrote:
          > Hi Bob,
          >
          > Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. As for that "not right
          > feeling". I've been suffering from minor sinus headaches off and
          on
          > for the past year (although i don't often take clarinex for it).
          So
          > I take it its not normal for that pressure to build up during
          > meditation. Well, hopefully its only the sinus headache feeling
          > more intense as a result of the meditation and nothing else.
          >
          > Slink

          Hi, Slink,

          I find that when I focus too precisely or sternly, that
          such pains are more likely to crop up.

          Try letting your focus become a bit easier and more diffuse.

          Three suggestions:

          1. If you are focusing on your breath by focusing your
          mind's eye on your nose or upper respiratory system,
          then try paying attention instead to how it feels in
          your entire torso as the breath ebbs and flows. Don't
          focus your 'eyes' in that area, allow your attention to
          be more diffuse and based on sensation.

          2. Instead of focusing intently on every single breath,
          give yourself permission to pay attention to every
          third breath or there-abouts. In between the 'third-or-
          so breaths', allow your mind to rest and your bodily
          tensions to relax.

          3. Oftentimes, when we pay attention to our breath,
          we very subtly change it. This can mean that the
          breath moves to a different part of the chest or
          that the length or rhythm of the breath changes.
          I have noticed that if the breath moves to the
          mid to upper part of the chest and becomes more
          shallow, that it is likely to produce head sensations
          such as what you mentioned. Consider paying attention
          to how you may be influencing the breath and see if it
          is possible to 'undo' your 'undoing'; allow your breath
          to emerge in its most innocent expression.

          Good luck, Slink...

          Nina
        • Lord_Slinky@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 9, 2004
            Thanks for the suggestions Nina, I'll try them out. I've been trying
            to focus on my abdomen, but believe I may also be (involuntarily)
            focusing my eyes downward toward that region as well.

            Slink