Re: how about this

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2004
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
      <dscasta@y...> wrote:
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
      > > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
      > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"

      > be
      > this
      > most of

      > > > let me remove the word "being", cause someone may not like it.
      > > >

      > > > meditation is the "health" of who you are.
      > > >

      > > > dabo
      > >
      > > Dear Dabo,
      > > I am really not sure at all of what you mean by using the term
      > > "health" relative to meditation. Classically, meditation is the 7th
      > > step in an 8 part process that leads to (here goes more subjective
      > > words:-) Enlightenment/Cosmic Comsciousness/Realization.
      > > The first 5 steps establish a strong foundation by having you
      > practice
      > > dispassion by neither running towards things or away from them, and
      > > discrimination between the real and the unreal, the finite and the
      > > infinite, and in a way, right from wrong. Also practiced and gained
      > is
      > > self control, by having you master your senses, breath, and
      > generally
      > > all reactivity. Then you aren't doing the things that are "wrong"
      > > (take your peace away/distract you) and you are ready for the 6th
      > > step, which is Concentration. You then find, after making all the
      > > efforts necessary and appropriate, when you really are Concentrating
      > > and your mind is focused and one-pointed, that Meditation (the 7th
      > > step) comes to you effortlessly. And ultimately, in the 8th and
      > > ultimate part, Contemplation, what is revealed is what has always
      > been
      > > the case... that (as you put it), "who you are" is
      > > Truth/Consciousness/Bliss. And you live happily ever after.
      > > Peace and blessings,
      > > Bob
      >

      > Bob,
      >
      > you make realization sound like a step-by-step process. a cause-and-
      > effect chain, progress along which is guaranteed by the efforts of
      > the practitioner.

      Well, you're wrong and you're right. What I have described is the
      thousands of years old, tried and proven methodology of Raja Yoga. And
      many many Enlightened people have credited this process with providing
      the pure soil for the heavenly crop to be able to bear fruit, or some
      other similar lofty and pretty sounding kind of pretentious cliche.
      But there is nothing guaranteed, no matter the effort involved. It is
      by Grace/Luck/The Fickle Finger of Fate/the right amount of drugs or
      inner chemistry or neuro workings/...whatever...that has this most
      momentious and also the least remarkable ("Why this was right there
      the whole time!!! Why did't I see what was right in front of me?!!!",
      etc) Realization "Be"(happen).

      > somehow, this does not coincide with my understanding of realization.

      Yup! It is beyond and before as well as concurrent with "understanding".

      > > And you live happily ever after.
      >
      > you promise? :)

      Guaranteed, money back if not satisfied:-)

      > dabo

    • Don James
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        Messages Messages Help

        Reply | Forward | View Source | Unwrap Lines

        Message 13144 of 13157 | Previous | Next [ Up Thread ] Message
        Index Msg #

        From: medit8ionsociety
        Date: Sat Aug 7, 2004 10:37 am
        Subject: Re: how about this

        <dscasta@y...> wrote:
        > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
        > > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
        > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"

        > be
        > this
        > most of

        > > > let me remove the word "being", cause someone may not like it.
        > > >

        > > > meditation is the "health" of who you are.
        > > >

        > > > dabo
        > >
        > > Dear Dabo,
        > > I am really not sure at all of what you mean by using the term
        > > "health" relative to meditation. Classically, meditation is the
        7th
        > > step in an 8 part process that leads to (here goes more subjective
        > > words:-) Enlightenment/Cosmic Comsciousness/Realization.
        > > The first 5 steps establish a strong foundation by having you
        > practice
        > > dispassion by neither running towards things or away from them,
        and
        > > discrimination between the real and the unreal, the finite and the
        > > infinite, and in a way, right from wrong. Also practiced and
        gained
        > is
        > > self control, by having you master your senses, breath, and
        > generally
        > > all reactivity. Then you aren't doing the things that are "wrong"
        > > (take your peace away/distract you) and you are ready for the 6th
        > > step, which is Concentration. You then find, after making all the
        > > efforts necessary and appropriate, when you really are
        Concentrating
        > > and your mind is focused and one-pointed, that Meditation (the 7th
        > > step) comes to you effortlessly. And ultimately, in the 8th and
        > > ultimate part, Contemplation, what is revealed is what has always
        > been
        > > the case... that (as you put it), "who you are" is
        > > Truth/Consciousness/Bliss. And you live happily ever after.
        > > Peace and blessings,
        > > Bob
        >

        > Bob,
        >
        > you make realization sound like a step-by-step process. a cause-and-
        > effect chain, progress along which is guaranteed by the efforts of
        > the practitioner.

        Well, you're wrong and you're right. What I have described is the
        thousands of years old, tried and proven methodology of Raja Yoga. And
        many many Enlightened people have credited this process with providing
        the pure soil for the heavenly crop to be able to bear fruit, or some
        other similar lofty and pretty sounding kind of pretentious cliche.
        But there is nothing guaranteed, no matter the effort involved. It is
        by Grace/Luck/The Fickle Finger of Fate/the right amount of drugs or
        inner chemistry or neuro workings/...whatever...that has this most
        momentious and also the least remarkable ("Why this was right there
        the whole time!!! Why did't I see what was right in front of me?!!!",
        etc) Realization "Be"(happen).

        -yes, different strokes for different aspirants. One may not get
        enlightened by your method but the next person may. Either way, one
        has to learn all these things you mention, whether that process
        itself is the catalyst for awakening.

        > somehow, this does not coincide with my understanding of
        realization.

        Yup! It is beyond and before as well as concurrent
        with "understanding".

        -realization is a level of consciousness. So in a way, everyone who
        is conscious at all is realized, it's just a matter of degrees, it's
        not so black and white, either/or. It's a figure/ground shift of the
        foundation of attention, shifting from the habit of mental
        identification and filtering, pushing that stuff into the background
        and allowing awareness to be in the foreground. And then resoloving
        all the mental confusion.