Meditation newbie question

  • Lord_Slinky@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7 6:54 AM
      I've just started practicing a daily routine of meditation (10 min,
      2 or 3 times a days). I'm just focusing on my breath (and counting
      it to help maintain focus).
      I started a week ago. Anyways, the last two times I've noticed a
      buildup of pressure (kind of like a sinus headache) at the front
      sides of my head during the meditation. Is this something normal,
      maybe a signal I'm in the alpha state? Or should this not be
      happenning? Is it possible that I already had the headache and the
      meditation temporarily intensified it?

      Slink
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7 7:54 AM
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Lord_Slinky@y... wrote:
        > I've just started practicing a daily routine of meditation (10 min,
        > 2 or 3 times a days). I'm just focusing on my breath (and counting
        > it to help maintain focus).
        > I started a week ago. Anyways, the last two times I've noticed a
        > buildup of pressure (kind of like a sinus headache) at the front
        > sides of my head during the meditation. Is this something normal,
        > maybe a signal I'm in the alpha state? Or should this not be
        > happenning? Is it possible that I already had the headache and the
        > meditation temporarily intensified it?
        >
        > Slink

        Dear Slink,
        As an RN, I have to suggest that you get yourself checked out by a
        physician if you experience any physical sensations that seem "off",
        but the real headache we all have is the inner chatterer that judges,
        compares, and comments non-stop about everything. Meditation places
        you in the position of the Witness to this neverending flow of
        thoughts, as well as to the everchanging emotions and physical
        sensations that accompany them, and are taking place 24x7x365. So I
        suggest persevering non-reactively and silently witnessing what flows
        by. This will be the best educational experience of (literally) your
        life.
        BTW, I think you have chosen well to focus on your breath. I'm very
        into breathing and do it every day:-) Seriously, I love breathing
        techniques. You may want to check out a technique on our web site
        titled "108, An Easy-Hard Meditation Technique" You'll find it in the
        Archives section. Here's the site's URL http://www.meditationsociety.com
        With this method, you'll be able to track your progress nicely, while
        using counting to keep yourself focused.
        There is no better thing you can do for your Self then learn and do
        meditation. I wish you well.
      • Lord_Slinky@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7 11:07 AM
          Hi Bob,

          Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. As for that "not right
          feeling". I've been suffering from minor sinus headaches off and on
          for the past year (although i don't often take clarinex for it). So
          I take it its not normal for that pressure to build up during
          meditation. Well, hopefully its only the sinus headache feeling
          more intense as a result of the meditation and nothing else.

          Slink

          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          Lord_Slinky@y... wrote:
          > > I've just started practicing a daily routine of meditation (10
          min,
          > > 2 or 3 times a days). I'm just focusing on my breath (and
          counting
          > > it to help maintain focus).
          > > I started a week ago. Anyways, the last two times I've noticed a
          > > buildup of pressure (kind of like a sinus headache) at the front
          > > sides of my head during the meditation. Is this something
          normal,
          > > maybe a signal I'm in the alpha state? Or should this not be
          > > happenning? Is it possible that I already had the headache and
          the
          > > meditation temporarily intensified it?
          > >
          > > Slink
          >
          > Dear Slink,
          > As an RN, I have to suggest that you get yourself checked out by a
          > physician if you experience any physical sensations that
          seem "off",
          > but the real headache we all have is the inner chatterer that
          judges,
          > compares, and comments non-stop about everything. Meditation places
          > you in the position of the Witness to this neverending flow of
          > thoughts, as well as to the everchanging emotions and physical
          > sensations that accompany them, and are taking place 24x7x365. So I
          > suggest persevering non-reactively and silently witnessing what
          flows
          > by. This will be the best educational experience of (literally)
          your
          > life.
          > BTW, I think you have chosen well to focus on your breath. I'm very
          > into breathing and do it every day:-) Seriously, I love breathing
          > techniques. You may want to check out a technique on our web site
          > titled "108, An Easy-Hard Meditation Technique" You'll find it in
          the
          > Archives section. Here's the site's URL
          http://www.meditationsociety.com
          > With this method, you'll be able to track your progress nicely,
          while
          > using counting to keep yourself focused.
          > There is no better thing you can do for your Self then learn and do
          > meditation. I wish you well.
          > Peace and blessings,
          > Bob
        • Nina
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7 7:07 PM
            wrote:
            > Hi Bob,
            >
            > Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. As for that "not right
            > feeling". I've been suffering from minor sinus headaches off and
            on
            > for the past year (although i don't often take clarinex for it).
            So
            > I take it its not normal for that pressure to build up during
            > meditation. Well, hopefully its only the sinus headache feeling
            > more intense as a result of the meditation and nothing else.
            >
            > Slink

            Hi, Slink,

            I find that when I focus too precisely or sternly, that
            such pains are more likely to crop up.

            Try letting your focus become a bit easier and more diffuse.

            Three suggestions:

            1. If you are focusing on your breath by focusing your
            mind's eye on your nose or upper respiratory system,
            then try paying attention instead to how it feels in
            your entire torso as the breath ebbs and flows. Don't
            focus your 'eyes' in that area, allow your attention to
            be more diffuse and based on sensation.

            2. Instead of focusing intently on every single breath,
            give yourself permission to pay attention to every
            third breath or there-abouts. In between the 'third-or-
            so breaths', allow your mind to rest and your bodily
            tensions to relax.

            3. Oftentimes, when we pay attention to our breath,
            we very subtly change it. This can mean that the
            breath moves to a different part of the chest or
            that the length or rhythm of the breath changes.
            I have noticed that if the breath moves to the
            mid to upper part of the chest and becomes more
            shallow, that it is likely to produce head sensations
            such as what you mentioned. Consider paying attention
            to how you may be influencing the breath and see if it
            is possible to 'undo' your 'undoing'; allow your breath
            to emerge in its most innocent expression.

            Good luck, Slink...

            Nina
          • Lord_Slinky@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 9 5:26 AM
              Thanks for the suggestions Nina, I'll try them out. I've been trying
              to focus on my abdomen, but believe I may also be (involuntarily)
              focusing my eyes downward toward that region as well.

              Slink