Re: how about this

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7 6:10 AM
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
      <dscasta@y...> wrote:
      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
      > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
      > >

      > > meditation is the "health" of your being.
      > >

      > > comments, anyone?
      > >

      > > you should know that i have had only one glimpse of what might be
      > > meditation, i am certain i am not in meditation right now, but this
      > > is exactly my point - i feel like a fucking walking disease most of
      > > the time.
      > >

      > > dabo
      >

      > let me remove the word "being", cause someone may not like it.
      >

      > meditation is the "health" of who you are.
      >

      > dabo

      Dear Dabo,
      I am really not sure at all of what you mean by using the term
      "health" relative to meditation. Classically, meditation is the 7th
      step in an 8 part process that leads to (here goes more subjective
      words:-) Enlightenment/Cosmic Comsciousness/Realization.
      The first 5 steps establish a strong foundation by having you practice
      dispassion by neither running towards things or away from them, and
      discrimination between the real and the unreal, the finite and the
      infinite, and in a way, right from wrong. Also practiced and gained is
      self control, by having you master your senses, breath, and generally
      all reactivity. Then you aren't doing the things that are "wrong"
      (take your peace away/distract you) and you are ready for the 6th
      step, which is Concentration. You then find, after making all the
      efforts necessary and appropriate, when you really are Concentrating
      and your mind is focused and one-pointed, that Meditation (the 7th
      step) comes to you effortlessly. And ultimately, in the 8th and
      ultimate part, Contemplation, what is revealed is what has always been
      the case... that (as you put it), "who you are" is
      Truth/Consciousness/Bliss. And you live happily ever after.
    • dabo_now
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7 7:10 AM
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
        > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
        > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
        > > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > meditation is the "health" of your being.
        > > >

        > > > comments, anyone?
        > > >

        > > > you should know that i have had only one glimpse of what might
        be
        > > > meditation, i am certain i am not in meditation right now, but
        this
        > > > is exactly my point - i feel like a fucking walking disease
        most of
        > > > the time.
        > > >

        > > > dabo
        > >

        > > let me remove the word "being", cause someone may not like it.
        > >

        > > meditation is the "health" of who you are.
        > >

        > > dabo
        >
        > Dear Dabo,
        > I am really not sure at all of what you mean by using the term
        > "health" relative to meditation. Classically, meditation is the 7th
        > step in an 8 part process that leads to (here goes more subjective
        > words:-) Enlightenment/Cosmic Comsciousness/Realization.
        > The first 5 steps establish a strong foundation by having you
        practice
        > dispassion by neither running towards things or away from them, and
        > discrimination between the real and the unreal, the finite and the
        > infinite, and in a way, right from wrong. Also practiced and gained
        is
        > self control, by having you master your senses, breath, and
        generally
        > all reactivity. Then you aren't doing the things that are "wrong"
        > (take your peace away/distract you) and you are ready for the 6th
        > step, which is Concentration. You then find, after making all the
        > efforts necessary and appropriate, when you really are Concentrating
        > and your mind is focused and one-pointed, that Meditation (the 7th
        > step) comes to you effortlessly. And ultimately, in the 8th and
        > ultimate part, Contemplation, what is revealed is what has always
        been
        > the case... that (as you put it), "who you are" is
        > Truth/Consciousness/Bliss. And you live happily ever after.
        > Peace and blessings,
        > Bob

        Bob,

        you make realization sound like a step-by-step process. a cause-and-
        effect chain, progress along which is guaranteed by the efforts of
        the practitioner.

        somehow, this does not coincide with my understanding of realization.

        > And you live happily ever after.

        you promise? :)

        dabo
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7 7:37 AM
          <dscasta@y...> wrote:
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
          > > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
          > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"

          > be
          > this
          > most of

          > > > let me remove the word "being", cause someone may not like it.
          > > >

          > > > meditation is the "health" of who you are.
          > > >

          > > > dabo
          > >
          > > Dear Dabo,
          > > I am really not sure at all of what you mean by using the term
          > > "health" relative to meditation. Classically, meditation is the 7th
          > > step in an 8 part process that leads to (here goes more subjective
          > > words:-) Enlightenment/Cosmic Comsciousness/Realization.
          > > The first 5 steps establish a strong foundation by having you
          > practice
          > > dispassion by neither running towards things or away from them, and
          > > discrimination between the real and the unreal, the finite and the
          > > infinite, and in a way, right from wrong. Also practiced and gained
          > is
          > > self control, by having you master your senses, breath, and
          > generally
          > > all reactivity. Then you aren't doing the things that are "wrong"
          > > (take your peace away/distract you) and you are ready for the 6th
          > > step, which is Concentration. You then find, after making all the
          > > efforts necessary and appropriate, when you really are Concentrating
          > > and your mind is focused and one-pointed, that Meditation (the 7th
          > > step) comes to you effortlessly. And ultimately, in the 8th and
          > > ultimate part, Contemplation, what is revealed is what has always
          > been
          > > the case... that (as you put it), "who you are" is
          > > Truth/Consciousness/Bliss. And you live happily ever after.
          > > Peace and blessings,
          > > Bob
          >

          > Bob,
          >
          > you make realization sound like a step-by-step process. a cause-and-
          > effect chain, progress along which is guaranteed by the efforts of
          > the practitioner.

          Well, you're wrong and you're right. What I have described is the
          thousands of years old, tried and proven methodology of Raja Yoga. And
          many many Enlightened people have credited this process with providing
          the pure soil for the heavenly crop to be able to bear fruit, or some
          other similar lofty and pretty sounding kind of pretentious cliche.
          But there is nothing guaranteed, no matter the effort involved. It is
          by Grace/Luck/The Fickle Finger of Fate/the right amount of drugs or
          inner chemistry or neuro workings/...whatever...that has this most
          momentious and also the least remarkable ("Why this was right there
          the whole time!!! Why did't I see what was right in front of me?!!!",
          etc) Realization "Be"(happen).

          > somehow, this does not coincide with my understanding of realization.

          Yup! It is beyond and before as well as concurrent with "understanding".

          > > And you live happily ever after.
          >
          > you promise? :)

          Guaranteed, money back if not satisfied:-)

          > dabo

        • Don James
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10 9:31 AM
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

            Messages Messages Help

            Reply | Forward | View Source | Unwrap Lines

            Message 13144 of 13157 | Previous | Next [ Up Thread ] Message
            Index Msg #

            From: medit8ionsociety
            Date: Sat Aug 7, 2004 10:37 am
            Subject: Re: how about this

            <dscasta@y...> wrote:
            > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
            > > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
            > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"

            > be
            > this
            > most of

            > > > let me remove the word "being", cause someone may not like it.
            > > >

            > > > meditation is the "health" of who you are.
            > > >

            > > > dabo
            > >
            > > Dear Dabo,
            > > I am really not sure at all of what you mean by using the term
            > > "health" relative to meditation. Classically, meditation is the
            7th
            > > step in an 8 part process that leads to (here goes more subjective
            > > words:-) Enlightenment/Cosmic Comsciousness/Realization.
            > > The first 5 steps establish a strong foundation by having you
            > practice
            > > dispassion by neither running towards things or away from them,
            and
            > > discrimination between the real and the unreal, the finite and the
            > > infinite, and in a way, right from wrong. Also practiced and
            gained
            > is
            > > self control, by having you master your senses, breath, and
            > generally
            > > all reactivity. Then you aren't doing the things that are "wrong"
            > > (take your peace away/distract you) and you are ready for the 6th
            > > step, which is Concentration. You then find, after making all the
            > > efforts necessary and appropriate, when you really are
            Concentrating
            > > and your mind is focused and one-pointed, that Meditation (the 7th
            > > step) comes to you effortlessly. And ultimately, in the 8th and
            > > ultimate part, Contemplation, what is revealed is what has always
            > been
            > > the case... that (as you put it), "who you are" is
            > > Truth/Consciousness/Bliss. And you live happily ever after.
            > > Peace and blessings,
            > > Bob
            >

            > Bob,
            >
            > you make realization sound like a step-by-step process. a cause-and-
            > effect chain, progress along which is guaranteed by the efforts of
            > the practitioner.

            Well, you're wrong and you're right. What I have described is the
            thousands of years old, tried and proven methodology of Raja Yoga. And
            many many Enlightened people have credited this process with providing
            the pure soil for the heavenly crop to be able to bear fruit, or some
            other similar lofty and pretty sounding kind of pretentious cliche.
            But there is nothing guaranteed, no matter the effort involved. It is
            by Grace/Luck/The Fickle Finger of Fate/the right amount of drugs or
            inner chemistry or neuro workings/...whatever...that has this most
            momentious and also the least remarkable ("Why this was right there
            the whole time!!! Why did't I see what was right in front of me?!!!",
            etc) Realization "Be"(happen).

            -yes, different strokes for different aspirants. One may not get
            enlightened by your method but the next person may. Either way, one
            has to learn all these things you mention, whether that process
            itself is the catalyst for awakening.

            > somehow, this does not coincide with my understanding of
            realization.

            Yup! It is beyond and before as well as concurrent
            with "understanding".

            -realization is a level of consciousness. So in a way, everyone who
            is conscious at all is realized, it's just a matter of degrees, it's
            not so black and white, either/or. It's a figure/ground shift of the
            foundation of attention, shifting from the habit of mental
            identification and filtering, pushing that stuff into the background
            and allowing awareness to be in the foreground. And then resoloving
            all the mental confusion.