Re: how about this

  • dabo_now
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2004
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
      <dscasta@y...> wrote:

      > meditation is the "health" of your being.
      >

      > comments, anyone?
      >

      > you should know that i have had only one glimpse of what might be
      > meditation, i am certain i am not in meditation right now, but this
      > is exactly my point - i feel like a fucking walking disease most of
      > the time.
      >

      > dabo

      let me remove the word "being", cause someone may not like it.

      meditation is the "health" of who you are.

      dabo
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2004
        <dscasta@y...> wrote:
        > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
        > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
        > >

        > > meditation is the "health" of your being.
        > >

        > > comments, anyone?
        > >

        > > you should know that i have had only one glimpse of what might be
        > > meditation, i am certain i am not in meditation right now, but this
        > > is exactly my point - i feel like a fucking walking disease most of
        > > the time.
        > >

        > > dabo
        >

        > let me remove the word "being", cause someone may not like it.
        >

        > meditation is the "health" of who you are.
        >

        > dabo

        Dear Dabo,
        I am really not sure at all of what you mean by using the term
        "health" relative to meditation. Classically, meditation is the 7th
        step in an 8 part process that leads to (here goes more subjective
        words:-) Enlightenment/Cosmic Comsciousness/Realization.
        The first 5 steps establish a strong foundation by having you practice
        dispassion by neither running towards things or away from them, and
        discrimination between the real and the unreal, the finite and the
        infinite, and in a way, right from wrong. Also practiced and gained is
        self control, by having you master your senses, breath, and generally
        all reactivity. Then you aren't doing the things that are "wrong"
        (take your peace away/distract you) and you are ready for the 6th
        step, which is Concentration. You then find, after making all the
        efforts necessary and appropriate, when you really are Concentrating
        and your mind is focused and one-pointed, that Meditation (the 7th
        step) comes to you effortlessly. And ultimately, in the 8th and
        ultimate part, Contemplation, what is revealed is what has always been
        the case... that (as you put it), "who you are" is
        Truth/Consciousness/Bliss. And you live happily ever after.
      • dabo_now
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7, 2004
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
          > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
          > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
          > > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > meditation is the "health" of your being.
          > > >

          > > > comments, anyone?
          > > >

          > > > you should know that i have had only one glimpse of what might
          be
          > > > meditation, i am certain i am not in meditation right now, but
          this
          > > > is exactly my point - i feel like a fucking walking disease
          most of
          > > > the time.
          > > >

          > > > dabo
          > >

          > > let me remove the word "being", cause someone may not like it.
          > >

          > > meditation is the "health" of who you are.
          > >

          > > dabo
          >
          > Dear Dabo,
          > I am really not sure at all of what you mean by using the term
          > "health" relative to meditation. Classically, meditation is the 7th
          > step in an 8 part process that leads to (here goes more subjective
          > words:-) Enlightenment/Cosmic Comsciousness/Realization.
          > The first 5 steps establish a strong foundation by having you
          practice
          > dispassion by neither running towards things or away from them, and
          > discrimination between the real and the unreal, the finite and the
          > infinite, and in a way, right from wrong. Also practiced and gained
          is
          > self control, by having you master your senses, breath, and
          generally
          > all reactivity. Then you aren't doing the things that are "wrong"
          > (take your peace away/distract you) and you are ready for the 6th
          > step, which is Concentration. You then find, after making all the
          > efforts necessary and appropriate, when you really are Concentrating
          > and your mind is focused and one-pointed, that Meditation (the 7th
          > step) comes to you effortlessly. And ultimately, in the 8th and
          > ultimate part, Contemplation, what is revealed is what has always
          been
          > the case... that (as you put it), "who you are" is
          > Truth/Consciousness/Bliss. And you live happily ever after.
          > Peace and blessings,
          > Bob

          Bob,

          you make realization sound like a step-by-step process. a cause-and-
          effect chain, progress along which is guaranteed by the efforts of
          the practitioner.

          somehow, this does not coincide with my understanding of realization.

          > And you live happily ever after.

          you promise? :)

          dabo
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7, 2004
            <dscasta@y...> wrote:
            > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
            > > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
            > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"

            > be
            > this
            > most of

            > > > let me remove the word "being", cause someone may not like it.
            > > >

            > > > meditation is the "health" of who you are.
            > > >

            > > > dabo
            > >
            > > Dear Dabo,
            > > I am really not sure at all of what you mean by using the term
            > > "health" relative to meditation. Classically, meditation is the 7th
            > > step in an 8 part process that leads to (here goes more subjective
            > > words:-) Enlightenment/Cosmic Comsciousness/Realization.
            > > The first 5 steps establish a strong foundation by having you
            > practice
            > > dispassion by neither running towards things or away from them, and
            > > discrimination between the real and the unreal, the finite and the
            > > infinite, and in a way, right from wrong. Also practiced and gained
            > is
            > > self control, by having you master your senses, breath, and
            > generally
            > > all reactivity. Then you aren't doing the things that are "wrong"
            > > (take your peace away/distract you) and you are ready for the 6th
            > > step, which is Concentration. You then find, after making all the
            > > efforts necessary and appropriate, when you really are Concentrating
            > > and your mind is focused and one-pointed, that Meditation (the 7th
            > > step) comes to you effortlessly. And ultimately, in the 8th and
            > > ultimate part, Contemplation, what is revealed is what has always
            > been
            > > the case... that (as you put it), "who you are" is
            > > Truth/Consciousness/Bliss. And you live happily ever after.
            > > Peace and blessings,
            > > Bob
            >

            > Bob,
            >
            > you make realization sound like a step-by-step process. a cause-and-
            > effect chain, progress along which is guaranteed by the efforts of
            > the practitioner.

            Well, you're wrong and you're right. What I have described is the
            thousands of years old, tried and proven methodology of Raja Yoga. And
            many many Enlightened people have credited this process with providing
            the pure soil for the heavenly crop to be able to bear fruit, or some
            other similar lofty and pretty sounding kind of pretentious cliche.
            But there is nothing guaranteed, no matter the effort involved. It is
            by Grace/Luck/The Fickle Finger of Fate/the right amount of drugs or
            inner chemistry or neuro workings/...whatever...that has this most
            momentious and also the least remarkable ("Why this was right there
            the whole time!!! Why did't I see what was right in front of me?!!!",
            etc) Realization "Be"(happen).

            > somehow, this does not coincide with my understanding of realization.

            Yup! It is beyond and before as well as concurrent with "understanding".

            > > And you live happily ever after.
            >
            > you promise? :)

            Guaranteed, money back if not satisfied:-)

            > dabo

          • Don James
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:

              Messages Messages Help

              Reply | Forward | View Source | Unwrap Lines

              Message 13144 of 13157 | Previous | Next [ Up Thread ] Message
              Index Msg #

              From: medit8ionsociety
              Date: Sat Aug 7, 2004 10:37 am
              Subject: Re: how about this

              <dscasta@y...> wrote:
              > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
              > > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
              > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"

              > be
              > this
              > most of

              > > > let me remove the word "being", cause someone may not like it.
              > > >

              > > > meditation is the "health" of who you are.
              > > >

              > > > dabo
              > >
              > > Dear Dabo,
              > > I am really not sure at all of what you mean by using the term
              > > "health" relative to meditation. Classically, meditation is the
              7th
              > > step in an 8 part process that leads to (here goes more subjective
              > > words:-) Enlightenment/Cosmic Comsciousness/Realization.
              > > The first 5 steps establish a strong foundation by having you
              > practice
              > > dispassion by neither running towards things or away from them,
              and
              > > discrimination between the real and the unreal, the finite and the
              > > infinite, and in a way, right from wrong. Also practiced and
              gained
              > is
              > > self control, by having you master your senses, breath, and
              > generally
              > > all reactivity. Then you aren't doing the things that are "wrong"
              > > (take your peace away/distract you) and you are ready for the 6th
              > > step, which is Concentration. You then find, after making all the
              > > efforts necessary and appropriate, when you really are
              Concentrating
              > > and your mind is focused and one-pointed, that Meditation (the 7th
              > > step) comes to you effortlessly. And ultimately, in the 8th and
              > > ultimate part, Contemplation, what is revealed is what has always
              > been
              > > the case... that (as you put it), "who you are" is
              > > Truth/Consciousness/Bliss. And you live happily ever after.
              > > Peace and blessings,
              > > Bob
              >

              > Bob,
              >
              > you make realization sound like a step-by-step process. a cause-and-
              > effect chain, progress along which is guaranteed by the efforts of
              > the practitioner.

              Well, you're wrong and you're right. What I have described is the
              thousands of years old, tried and proven methodology of Raja Yoga. And
              many many Enlightened people have credited this process with providing
              the pure soil for the heavenly crop to be able to bear fruit, or some
              other similar lofty and pretty sounding kind of pretentious cliche.
              But there is nothing guaranteed, no matter the effort involved. It is
              by Grace/Luck/The Fickle Finger of Fate/the right amount of drugs or
              inner chemistry or neuro workings/...whatever...that has this most
              momentious and also the least remarkable ("Why this was right there
              the whole time!!! Why did't I see what was right in front of me?!!!",
              etc) Realization "Be"(happen).

              -yes, different strokes for different aspirants. One may not get
              enlightened by your method but the next person may. Either way, one
              has to learn all these things you mention, whether that process
              itself is the catalyst for awakening.

              > somehow, this does not coincide with my understanding of
              realization.

              Yup! It is beyond and before as well as concurrent
              with "understanding".

              -realization is a level of consciousness. So in a way, everyone who
              is conscious at all is realized, it's just a matter of degrees, it's
              not so black and white, either/or. It's a figure/ground shift of the
              foundation of attention, shifting from the habit of mental
              identification and filtering, pushing that stuff into the background
              and allowing awareness to be in the foreground. And then resoloving
              all the mental confusion.