how about this

  • dabo_now
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2004
      meditation is the "health" of your being.

      comments, anyone?

      you should know that i have had only one glimpse of what might be
      meditation, i am certain i am not in meditation right now, but this
      is exactly my point - i feel like a fucking walking disease most of
      the time.

      dabo
    • dabo_now
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2004
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
        <dscasta@y...> wrote:

        > meditation is the "health" of your being.
        >

        > comments, anyone?
        >

        > you should know that i have had only one glimpse of what might be
        > meditation, i am certain i am not in meditation right now, but this
        > is exactly my point - i feel like a fucking walking disease most of
        > the time.
        >

        > dabo

        let me remove the word "being", cause someone may not like it.

        meditation is the "health" of who you are.

        dabo
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7, 2004
          <dscasta@y...> wrote:
          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
          > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
          > >

          > > meditation is the "health" of your being.
          > >

          > > comments, anyone?
          > >

          > > you should know that i have had only one glimpse of what might be
          > > meditation, i am certain i am not in meditation right now, but this
          > > is exactly my point - i feel like a fucking walking disease most of
          > > the time.
          > >

          > > dabo
          >

          > let me remove the word "being", cause someone may not like it.
          >

          > meditation is the "health" of who you are.
          >

          > dabo

          Dear Dabo,
          I am really not sure at all of what you mean by using the term
          "health" relative to meditation. Classically, meditation is the 7th
          step in an 8 part process that leads to (here goes more subjective
          words:-) Enlightenment/Cosmic Comsciousness/Realization.
          The first 5 steps establish a strong foundation by having you practice
          dispassion by neither running towards things or away from them, and
          discrimination between the real and the unreal, the finite and the
          infinite, and in a way, right from wrong. Also practiced and gained is
          self control, by having you master your senses, breath, and generally
          all reactivity. Then you aren't doing the things that are "wrong"
          (take your peace away/distract you) and you are ready for the 6th
          step, which is Concentration. You then find, after making all the
          efforts necessary and appropriate, when you really are Concentrating
          and your mind is focused and one-pointed, that Meditation (the 7th
          step) comes to you effortlessly. And ultimately, in the 8th and
          ultimate part, Contemplation, what is revealed is what has always been
          the case... that (as you put it), "who you are" is
          Truth/Consciousness/Bliss. And you live happily ever after.
        • dabo_now
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7, 2004
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
            > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
            > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
            > > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > meditation is the "health" of your being.
            > > >

            > > > comments, anyone?
            > > >

            > > > you should know that i have had only one glimpse of what might
            be
            > > > meditation, i am certain i am not in meditation right now, but
            this
            > > > is exactly my point - i feel like a fucking walking disease
            most of
            > > > the time.
            > > >

            > > > dabo
            > >

            > > let me remove the word "being", cause someone may not like it.
            > >

            > > meditation is the "health" of who you are.
            > >

            > > dabo
            >
            > Dear Dabo,
            > I am really not sure at all of what you mean by using the term
            > "health" relative to meditation. Classically, meditation is the 7th
            > step in an 8 part process that leads to (here goes more subjective
            > words:-) Enlightenment/Cosmic Comsciousness/Realization.
            > The first 5 steps establish a strong foundation by having you
            practice
            > dispassion by neither running towards things or away from them, and
            > discrimination between the real and the unreal, the finite and the
            > infinite, and in a way, right from wrong. Also practiced and gained
            is
            > self control, by having you master your senses, breath, and
            generally
            > all reactivity. Then you aren't doing the things that are "wrong"
            > (take your peace away/distract you) and you are ready for the 6th
            > step, which is Concentration. You then find, after making all the
            > efforts necessary and appropriate, when you really are Concentrating
            > and your mind is focused and one-pointed, that Meditation (the 7th
            > step) comes to you effortlessly. And ultimately, in the 8th and
            > ultimate part, Contemplation, what is revealed is what has always
            been
            > the case... that (as you put it), "who you are" is
            > Truth/Consciousness/Bliss. And you live happily ever after.
            > Peace and blessings,
            > Bob

            Bob,

            you make realization sound like a step-by-step process. a cause-and-
            effect chain, progress along which is guaranteed by the efforts of
            the practitioner.

            somehow, this does not coincide with my understanding of realization.

            > And you live happily ever after.

            you promise? :)

            dabo
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 7, 2004
              <dscasta@y...> wrote:
              > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
              > > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
              > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"

              > be
              > this
              > most of

              > > > let me remove the word "being", cause someone may not like it.
              > > >

              > > > meditation is the "health" of who you are.
              > > >

              > > > dabo
              > >
              > > Dear Dabo,
              > > I am really not sure at all of what you mean by using the term
              > > "health" relative to meditation. Classically, meditation is the 7th
              > > step in an 8 part process that leads to (here goes more subjective
              > > words:-) Enlightenment/Cosmic Comsciousness/Realization.
              > > The first 5 steps establish a strong foundation by having you
              > practice
              > > dispassion by neither running towards things or away from them, and
              > > discrimination between the real and the unreal, the finite and the
              > > infinite, and in a way, right from wrong. Also practiced and gained
              > is
              > > self control, by having you master your senses, breath, and
              > generally
              > > all reactivity. Then you aren't doing the things that are "wrong"
              > > (take your peace away/distract you) and you are ready for the 6th
              > > step, which is Concentration. You then find, after making all the
              > > efforts necessary and appropriate, when you really are Concentrating
              > > and your mind is focused and one-pointed, that Meditation (the 7th
              > > step) comes to you effortlessly. And ultimately, in the 8th and
              > > ultimate part, Contemplation, what is revealed is what has always
              > been
              > > the case... that (as you put it), "who you are" is
              > > Truth/Consciousness/Bliss. And you live happily ever after.
              > > Peace and blessings,
              > > Bob
              >

              > Bob,
              >
              > you make realization sound like a step-by-step process. a cause-and-
              > effect chain, progress along which is guaranteed by the efforts of
              > the practitioner.

              Well, you're wrong and you're right. What I have described is the
              thousands of years old, tried and proven methodology of Raja Yoga. And
              many many Enlightened people have credited this process with providing
              the pure soil for the heavenly crop to be able to bear fruit, or some
              other similar lofty and pretty sounding kind of pretentious cliche.
              But there is nothing guaranteed, no matter the effort involved. It is
              by Grace/Luck/The Fickle Finger of Fate/the right amount of drugs or
              inner chemistry or neuro workings/...whatever...that has this most
              momentious and also the least remarkable ("Why this was right there
              the whole time!!! Why did't I see what was right in front of me?!!!",
              etc) Realization "Be"(happen).

              > somehow, this does not coincide with my understanding of realization.

              Yup! It is beyond and before as well as concurrent with "understanding".

              > > And you live happily ever after.
              >
              > you promise? :)

              Guaranteed, money back if not satisfied:-)

              > dabo

            • Don James
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                Messages Messages Help

                Reply | Forward | View Source | Unwrap Lines

                Message 13144 of 13157 | Previous | Next [ Up Thread ] Message
                Index Msg #

                From: medit8ionsociety
                Date: Sat Aug 7, 2004 10:37 am
                Subject: Re: how about this

                <dscasta@y...> wrote:
                > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"
                > > <dscasta@y...> wrote:
                > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dabo_now"

                > be
                > this
                > most of

                > > > let me remove the word "being", cause someone may not like it.
                > > >

                > > > meditation is the "health" of who you are.
                > > >

                > > > dabo
                > >
                > > Dear Dabo,
                > > I am really not sure at all of what you mean by using the term
                > > "health" relative to meditation. Classically, meditation is the
                7th
                > > step in an 8 part process that leads to (here goes more subjective
                > > words:-) Enlightenment/Cosmic Comsciousness/Realization.
                > > The first 5 steps establish a strong foundation by having you
                > practice
                > > dispassion by neither running towards things or away from them,
                and
                > > discrimination between the real and the unreal, the finite and the
                > > infinite, and in a way, right from wrong. Also practiced and
                gained
                > is
                > > self control, by having you master your senses, breath, and
                > generally
                > > all reactivity. Then you aren't doing the things that are "wrong"
                > > (take your peace away/distract you) and you are ready for the 6th
                > > step, which is Concentration. You then find, after making all the
                > > efforts necessary and appropriate, when you really are
                Concentrating
                > > and your mind is focused and one-pointed, that Meditation (the 7th
                > > step) comes to you effortlessly. And ultimately, in the 8th and
                > > ultimate part, Contemplation, what is revealed is what has always
                > been
                > > the case... that (as you put it), "who you are" is
                > > Truth/Consciousness/Bliss. And you live happily ever after.
                > > Peace and blessings,
                > > Bob
                >

                > Bob,
                >
                > you make realization sound like a step-by-step process. a cause-and-
                > effect chain, progress along which is guaranteed by the efforts of
                > the practitioner.

                Well, you're wrong and you're right. What I have described is the
                thousands of years old, tried and proven methodology of Raja Yoga. And
                many many Enlightened people have credited this process with providing
                the pure soil for the heavenly crop to be able to bear fruit, or some
                other similar lofty and pretty sounding kind of pretentious cliche.
                But there is nothing guaranteed, no matter the effort involved. It is
                by Grace/Luck/The Fickle Finger of Fate/the right amount of drugs or
                inner chemistry or neuro workings/...whatever...that has this most
                momentious and also the least remarkable ("Why this was right there
                the whole time!!! Why did't I see what was right in front of me?!!!",
                etc) Realization "Be"(happen).

                -yes, different strokes for different aspirants. One may not get
                enlightened by your method but the next person may. Either way, one
                has to learn all these things you mention, whether that process
                itself is the catalyst for awakening.

                > somehow, this does not coincide with my understanding of
                realization.

                Yup! It is beyond and before as well as concurrent
                with "understanding".

                -realization is a level of consciousness. So in a way, everyone who
                is conscious at all is realized, it's just a matter of degrees, it's
                not so black and white, either/or. It's a figure/ground shift of the
                foundation of attention, shifting from the habit of mental
                identification and filtering, pushing that stuff into the background
                and allowing awareness to be in the foreground. And then resoloving
                all the mental confusion.