Re: [Meditation Society of America] researching company

  • jodyrrr
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28, 2004
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "hal787"
      <adams@r...> wrote:

      > > > Hal, there is nowhere other than where "all" exists. There is no
      > way to get to it. It's here, right now, in all, as all.>>
      >
      > You are correct Jody about the above. I used the words, "get to"
      > the "place" of emptiness when it would have been more correct to
      > say "realizing" the "state" of emptiness.

      Or, seeing the ever-existing reality of emptiness as the
      very form of our own being. It's always there, closer
      than our own breath, in everyone, at all times.

      > I agree, to each their own, but if someone wants to use meditation
      > expecting to strenghten the mind instead of setting it aside then
      > they are feeding the enemy. I see no harm of posing this question
      > especially concerning those new to meditation who are asking for
      > advise on the subject of meditation.

      Some may need a little mind strengthening. Many of us
      are beset by thinking/personality disorders which must
      be addressed, IMO, before we can begin to consider the
      deconstruction of the mind. IOW, we've got to begin from
      a place of mental integrity. Meditation can help to
      establish and fortify this integrity. It is from this
      platform of mental stability that one can jump off into the
      activity of inquiry. Attempting inquiry without stability
      is like trying to ride a bike with flat tires. You just
      aren't going to get anywhere (in terms of authentic
      inquiry,) and eventually the bike will get wrecked.

      > BTW what's with the rote remark? Did i somehow offend you or am i
      > mistaken?
      >
      > Hal

      I wasn't offended, Hal, although I should admit to being
      a bit grumpy. One of my pet peeves is the demonization
      of the mind as somehow being responsible for ignorance.
      The mind just does its thing. There's no blame in that.
      One can come to realization in the context of an active
      mind. It's not what the mind is doing or isn't doing,
      it's what realization is expected to be that gets in
      the way of its manifesting in a life. And the only one
      to blame for that is the person holding the expectation.

      I have found the lionshare of spiritual culture to be
      just plain wrong about realization, mostly because most
      of spiritual culture is transmitted by those who don't
      have the experiential understanding themselves. It's
      like people read a book on car repair, and suddenly they
      are expert mechanics. In actual fact, one doesn't become
      an expert mechanic without ripping apart many engines
      outside of any books written on the subject.

      I heard your advice to be along these lines, but I could
      very well be mistaken on my part. If so, I'm sorry for
      causing you any offense.

      --jody.