Re: [Meditation Society of America] researching company

  • Harold
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26, 2004
      Good morning Carol. Im not familiar with the tape in which you
      refer, but if it's a method to put aside the mind and not strenghten it,
      then your on the way to the emptiness where "all " exists.

      If your interested in methods to discipline mind and increase it's
      power for the manipulation of others, exploitation or to be a better
      competitor, such methods exist, but then you are feeding the enemy. In any
      event, welcome aboard..

      Hal

      > Good Morning,
      >
      > I am a new member and would like to ask a question. I have come
      > across a company whose web address is centerpointe.com
      > They sell, for profit, tapes that are said to take one quickly to the
      > meditative state. I am interested, but would like to hear from
      > someone who has used the product before I buy.
      >
      > I searched the archives of this group, and did not see reference to
      > this.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Carol
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • jodyrrr
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 27, 2004
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Harold"
        <adams@r...> wrote:

        [snip]

        > then your on the way to the emptiness where "all " exists.

        Hal, there is nowhere other than where "all" exists.
        There is no way to get to it. It's here, right now,
        in all, as all.

        Making it somewhere to "get" to only makes it somewhere
        you *believe* you aren't. In other words, putting that
        carrot on the stick only makes us forget those carrots
        already in our pocket, in abundance.

        Different kinds of meditation work differently in different
        kinds of people. The variance in methods is wide to
        reflect the wide variance of people employing them.

        What works or doesn't for you may have *nothing* to do
        with what works or doesn't for others. For instance,
        some might consider mantra meditation to be strengthing,
        in that samskaras are created with the repetition of the
        mantra. However, these samskaras can have the effect of
        bringing more clarity to the mind, in some individuals.

        IOW, to each his/her own, and may his/her own find
        their own way, in their own time, on their own terms,
        outside of rote advice which has little to do with
        the reality that is being spoken about.

        --jody.
      • hal787
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 28, 2004
          > > Hal, there is nowhere other than where "all" exists. There is no
          way to get to it. It's here, right now, in all, as all.>>

          You are correct Jody about the above. I used the words, "get to"
          the "place" of emptiness when it would have been more correct to
          say "realizing" the "state" of emptiness.

          I agree, to each their own, but if someone wants to use meditation
          expecting to strenghten the mind instead of setting it aside then
          they are feeding the enemy. I see no harm of posing this question
          especially concerning those new to meditation who are asking for
          advise on the subject of meditation.

          BTW what's with the rote remark? Did i somehow offend you or am i
          mistaken?

          Hal

          > Making it somewhere to "get" to only makes it somewhere
          > you *believe* you aren't. In other words, putting that
          > carrot on the stick only makes us forget those carrots
          > already in our pocket, in abundance.

          > Different kinds of meditation work differently in different
          > kinds of people. The variance in methods is wide to
          > reflect the wide variance of people employing them.
          >
          > What works or doesn't for you may have *nothing* to do
          > with what works or doesn't for others. For instance,
          > some might consider mantra meditation to be strengthing,
          > in that samskaras are created with the repetition of the
          > mantra. However, these samskaras can have the effect of
          > bringing more clarity to the mind, in some individuals.

          > > IOW, to each his/her own, and may his/her own find
          > their own way, in their own time, on their own terms,
          > outside of rote advice which has little to do with
          > the reality that is being spoken about.

          > --jody.
        • jodyrrr
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 28, 2004
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "hal787"
            <adams@r...> wrote:

            > > > Hal, there is nowhere other than where "all" exists. There is no
            > way to get to it. It's here, right now, in all, as all.>>
            >
            > You are correct Jody about the above. I used the words, "get to"
            > the "place" of emptiness when it would have been more correct to
            > say "realizing" the "state" of emptiness.

            Or, seeing the ever-existing reality of emptiness as the
            very form of our own being. It's always there, closer
            than our own breath, in everyone, at all times.

            > I agree, to each their own, but if someone wants to use meditation
            > expecting to strenghten the mind instead of setting it aside then
            > they are feeding the enemy. I see no harm of posing this question
            > especially concerning those new to meditation who are asking for
            > advise on the subject of meditation.

            Some may need a little mind strengthening. Many of us
            are beset by thinking/personality disorders which must
            be addressed, IMO, before we can begin to consider the
            deconstruction of the mind. IOW, we've got to begin from
            a place of mental integrity. Meditation can help to
            establish and fortify this integrity. It is from this
            platform of mental stability that one can jump off into the
            activity of inquiry. Attempting inquiry without stability
            is like trying to ride a bike with flat tires. You just
            aren't going to get anywhere (in terms of authentic
            inquiry,) and eventually the bike will get wrecked.

            > BTW what's with the rote remark? Did i somehow offend you or am i
            > mistaken?
            >
            > Hal

            I wasn't offended, Hal, although I should admit to being
            a bit grumpy. One of my pet peeves is the demonization
            of the mind as somehow being responsible for ignorance.
            The mind just does its thing. There's no blame in that.
            One can come to realization in the context of an active
            mind. It's not what the mind is doing or isn't doing,
            it's what realization is expected to be that gets in
            the way of its manifesting in a life. And the only one
            to blame for that is the person holding the expectation.

            I have found the lionshare of spiritual culture to be
            just plain wrong about realization, mostly because most
            of spiritual culture is transmitted by those who don't
            have the experiential understanding themselves. It's
            like people read a book on car repair, and suddenly they
            are expert mechanics. In actual fact, one doesn't become
            an expert mechanic without ripping apart many engines
            outside of any books written on the subject.

            I heard your advice to be along these lines, but I could
            very well be mistaken on my part. If so, I'm sorry for
            causing you any offense.

            --jody.