Nasrudin gets psyched out

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 22, 2004
      At the request of the Mullah's wife, a psychiatrist had been treating
      Nasrudin. After a few sessions he reported to Nasrudin's wife..."I
      have good news. Your husband is cured. He will no longer go around
      thinking he's an enlightened saint. His original personality has
      returned, and he is now himself again."

      "What?" she said angrily. "Before, my husband was someone important.
      Now I'm going to be the wife of a nobody!"
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 23, 2004
        medit8ionsociety wrote:
        > At the request of the Mullah's wife, a psychiatrist had been
        treating
        > Nasrudin. After a few sessions he reported to Nasrudin's wife..."I
        > have good news. Your husband is cured. He will no longer go around
        > thinking he's an enlightened saint. His original personality has
        > returned, and he is now himself again."
        >
        > "What?" she said angrily. "Before, my husband was someone important.
        > Now I'm going to be the wife of a nobody!"

        As per request by a member's email, here's a semi-typical reading of
        a little of what we can get from this particular (and in a similar
        way, every) Nasrudin tale:

        We can see Nasrudin's "wife" as being the inner chatterer that (all
        too often) tries to analyze (by seeing a psych) "Who am I". The
        psychiatrist is another version/persona of the same inner chatterer
        that cons itself/you (often out of fear of the terror and insecurity
        of intuitivly knowing that we have no real control or knowledge of
        anything) into thinking it/you "understand" something or other. But
        all too commonly, the "wife" is still unsatisfied with any so-called
        answer presented. The reference to Nasrudin as being enlightened and
        a saint is our "Real" identity, and even though we continually have
        this as an ongoing reality, our inner chatterer is in
        denial/darkness/delusion/etc about this and thus is ever requesting
        help in understanding what can't be understood except experientially
        without analysis. And, sort of finally for this already too wordy
        explanation, the wife decries being associated with "a nobody". But
        in reality, we are no body, no mind, no emotion, (Neti-Neti). And the
        other designations that point to us as apart from the rest of
        creation instead of a part of creation can be witnessed and known to
        be delusional, illusionary, baseless, and so on, and as much of a
        joke as Nasrudin, and our chattering mind appears to be.

        But as they say, when you have to explain a joke, it ain't funny. And
        as a matter of fact, Nasrudin tales are not only funny, but also as
        serious as serious can be.