FW: Journal Entry - October 31 - tosime

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2002
      Journal Entry - tosime
      Date: October 31
      Time: 07:55 a.m.
      Duration: 49 minutes (open)
      Posture: Seated on chair
      Body: Eyes closed,
      - tongue tip to pallet,
      - hands on knees-index finger touching thumb.
      Room Condition: Darkened room
      - One candle
      - Incense
      - Essential Oil - (Rainforest Flowers+water on burner)
      - Bell
      Pre-session: Sip of water
      - full body stretch (3 times).
      Mind Chatter: Medium.
      Waves of bliss: None.
      Experience: Very Good Session.

      Result: Explored associations.

      Noticed how I associated different inner sounds with different meditation
      experiences. Sensed that I could recreate the experience by calling up the
      related inner sound or doing the action that generated the sound.

      The flickering candle (observed through closed eyes) generated a pulsating
      sound equivalent to "attention" or "pay attention".

      Expanded the idea of associations to everyday life where we are continually
      reinforcing previous associations or creating new ones. The key associations
      are the ones we make regarding our character and our likes and dislikes.
      Once we can see the process (similar to watching the mind in meditation) we
      can change or switch our associations.

      Practiced calling up specific inner sounds I associated with going deeper
      into meditation or new experiences. Limited success but sense a lot of
      potential here.

      Ended the session with a period of no-thought then came slowly out feeling
      refreshed.
    • eveneon
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2002
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "Tony" <tosime@b...> wrote:
        > Expanded the idea of associations to everyday life where we are
        continually
        > reinforcing previous associations or creating new ones. The key
        associations
        > are the ones we make regarding our character and our likes and
        dislikes.
        > Once we can see the process (similar to watching the mind in
        meditation) we
        > can change or switch our associations.

        Hi Tony,
        I think this is probally the best benefit of meditating, when you
        see similarities to meditations and living everyday life. Being able
        to watch you mind in meditation makes it much easier to watch your
        life as it takes place. You can see how much of what you think and do
        is actually habitual and re-active.
        I have been catching up on the message board posts and, as always, am
        enjoying your journal entries.
        Thanks for sharing.
        Eve