Re:New to everything...

  • sandeep
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6 8:35 PM
      Hi Trina,

      Hi all.

      I'm Trina - new to the group and I'm VERY new to meditation. I've
      been reading the posts and find myself very encouraged to see what
      one might achieve through growth and, I guess, enlightenment.

      I do have a few BASIC questions/dillemas and would love it if
      someone might have something to share about them.

      First... when I try to sit and "quiet my mind" - I always fall
      asleep.

      Excellent.

      How do you actually try to sit and quieten the mind?

      I mean, what do you actually do, to get hold of that pesky mind?

       I've heard this is normal - but it happens EVERY time - or
      I end up thinking about not falling asleep and before I know it a
      grocery list or something is bouncing around my head. Because of
      this, I've been trying a simple Budhist chant. The speaking out
      loud keeps me from falling asleep and keeps the daily chores out of
      my mind - but I find that I can't do it for very long - 5 minutes
      seems to be it so far. I've also been doing some stretching and
      breathing techniques before I start.

      Any suggestions for a baby???

      Next time, after a good sleep, get up and start whatever "meditation" you do.

      If you again fall asleep, no problem, have another good nap and then get up and then start.

      It is rather difficult to go back to sleep after 2 good naps.

      If you find that your thoughts have moved to the grocery list, or to some Buddhist Rap
      or even how you will get even with your %$#@&^ neighbour,........

      .......notice that your thoughts have moved to such.

      And in the noticing, you are back with yourself.

      Thanks and I'm so happy to have found this group!!

      Trina
    • dabo_now
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sandeep
        <sandeepc@b...> wrote:
        > Hi Trina,
        >

        > Hi all.
        >
        > I'm Trina - new to the group and I'm VERY new to meditation.
        I've
        > been reading the posts and find myself very encouraged to see
        what
        > one might achieve through growth and, I guess, enlightenment.
        >
        > I do have a few BASIC questions/dillemas and would love it if
        > someone might have something to share about them.
        >
        > First... when I try to sit and "quiet my mind" - I always fall
        > asleep.
        >

        > Excellent.
        >
        > How do you actually try to sit and quieten the mind?
        >
        > I mean, what do you actually do, to get hold of that pesky
        mind?

        > I've heard this is normal - but it happens EVERY time - or
        > I end up thinking about not falling asleep and before I know
        it a
        > grocery list or something is bouncing around my head. Because
        of
        > this, I've been trying a simple Budhist chant. The speaking
        out
        > loud keeps me from falling asleep and keeps the daily chores
        out of
        > my mind - but I find that I can't do it for very long - 5
        minutes
        > seems to be it so far. I've also been doing some stretching
        and
        > breathing techniques before I start.
        >
        > Any suggestions for a baby???
        >

        > Next time, after a good sleep, get up and start
        whatever "meditation" you do.

        > If you again fall asleep, no problem, have another good nap
        and then get up and then start.

        > It is rather difficult to go back to sleep after 2 good naps.
        >
        > If you find that your thoughts have moved to the grocery
        list, or to some Buddhist Rap
        > or even how you will get even with your %$#@&^
        neighbour,........

        > .......notice that your thoughts have moved to such.
        >
        > And in the noticing, you are back with yourself.

        cool, Sandeep. :)

        dabo