New to everything...

  • T.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2004
      Hi all.

      I'm Trina - new to the group and I'm VERY new to meditation. I've
      been reading the posts and find myself very encouraged to see what
      one might achieve through growth and, I guess, enlightenment.

      I do have a few BASIC questions/dillemas and would love it if
      someone might have something to share about them.

      First... when I try to sit and "quiet my mind" - I always fall
      asleep. I've heard this is normal - but it happens EVERY time - or
      I end up thinking about not falling asleep and before I know it a
      grocery list or something is bouncing around my head. Because of
      this, I've been trying a simple Budhist chant. The speaking out
      loud keeps me from falling asleep and keeps the daily chores out of
      my mind - but I find that I can't do it for very long - 5 minutes
      seems to be it so far. I've also been doing some stretching and
      breathing techniques before I start.

      Any suggestions for a baby???

      Thanks and I'm so happy to have found this group!!

      Trina
    • Jason Fishman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2004
        Hi Trina,

        Lots of stuff on meditation, here just some thoughts for you...

        First, don't try to meditate, don't have any expectations of what that is, right now it's just
        something you've heard about and want to try out for yourself. During this not meditating, ask
        yourself some questions, honestly as possible, why am I trying this? what do I feel is the benifit
        of doing a practice such as this? and as many others that follow along that idea. When your
        certain of a goal (not neccesarily an expectation), then someone around can give you pointers and
        techniques that you can practice or if your really diligent you will find some on your own :-)
        Many pratices and/or techniques works for one person and not for anothers and some are multi
        purpose as they are normal things you might do already anyway. You mentioned enlightenment of
        which there are a variety of opinions on that concept, many profess way to much to handle and
        often just cause more stress. Try, just for now, focusing (stay away from the generalizing, like I
        want to be happy or content or stress-free, etc) on what your doing and why, if you can't find
        answers yourself, you can give out a more personal story to most of us on this list and they can
        help you find some answers too! The key here is to be open (non-judgemental) with the interactions
        among yourself and others, which often just brings forth the answers to the questions we seek
        without much fuss.

        Most folks that are diligent and honest about thier approach tend to do better and calm the noise
        in short order. Sometimes, just getting to the heart of the matter is enough for basic meditation
        techniques as well as reduced, or in some cases zero, stress in general.

        Peace and Love

        --- "T." <jedsgirl522@...> wrote:
        > Hi all.
        >
        > I'm Trina - new to the group and I'm VERY new to meditation. I've
        > been reading the posts and find myself very encouraged to see what
        > one might achieve through growth and, I guess, enlightenment.
        >
        > I do have a few BASIC questions/dillemas and would love it if
        > someone might have something to share about them.
        >
        > First... when I try to sit and "quiet my mind" - I always fall
        > asleep. I've heard this is normal - but it happens EVERY time - or
        > I end up thinking about not falling asleep and before I know it a
        > grocery list or something is bouncing around my head. Because of
        > this, I've been trying a simple Budhist chant. The speaking out
        > loud keeps me from falling asleep and keeps the daily chores out of
        > my mind - but I find that I can't do it for very long - 5 minutes
        > seems to be it so far. I've also been doing some stretching and
        > breathing techniques before I start.
        >
        > Any suggestions for a baby???
        >
        > Thanks and I'm so happy to have found this group!!
        >
        > Trina

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • sandeep
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6, 2004
          Hi Trina,

          Hi all.

          I'm Trina - new to the group and I'm VERY new to meditation. I've
          been reading the posts and find myself very encouraged to see what
          one might achieve through growth and, I guess, enlightenment.

          I do have a few BASIC questions/dillemas and would love it if
          someone might have something to share about them.

          First... when I try to sit and "quiet my mind" - I always fall
          asleep.

          Excellent.

          How do you actually try to sit and quieten the mind?

          I mean, what do you actually do, to get hold of that pesky mind?

           I've heard this is normal - but it happens EVERY time - or
          I end up thinking about not falling asleep and before I know it a
          grocery list or something is bouncing around my head. Because of
          this, I've been trying a simple Budhist chant. The speaking out
          loud keeps me from falling asleep and keeps the daily chores out of
          my mind - but I find that I can't do it for very long - 5 minutes
          seems to be it so far. I've also been doing some stretching and
          breathing techniques before I start.

          Any suggestions for a baby???

          Next time, after a good sleep, get up and start whatever "meditation" you do.

          If you again fall asleep, no problem, have another good nap and then get up and then start.

          It is rather difficult to go back to sleep after 2 good naps.

          If you find that your thoughts have moved to the grocery list, or to some Buddhist Rap
          or even how you will get even with your %$#@&^ neighbour,........

          .......notice that your thoughts have moved to such.

          And in the noticing, you are back with yourself.

          Thanks and I'm so happy to have found this group!!

          Trina
        • dabo_now
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2 10:46 PM
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sandeep
            <sandeepc@b...> wrote:
            > Hi Trina,
            >

            > Hi all.
            >
            > I'm Trina - new to the group and I'm VERY new to meditation.
            I've
            > been reading the posts and find myself very encouraged to see
            what
            > one might achieve through growth and, I guess, enlightenment.
            >
            > I do have a few BASIC questions/dillemas and would love it if
            > someone might have something to share about them.
            >
            > First... when I try to sit and "quiet my mind" - I always fall
            > asleep.
            >

            > Excellent.
            >
            > How do you actually try to sit and quieten the mind?
            >
            > I mean, what do you actually do, to get hold of that pesky
            mind?

            > I've heard this is normal - but it happens EVERY time - or
            > I end up thinking about not falling asleep and before I know
            it a
            > grocery list or something is bouncing around my head. Because
            of
            > this, I've been trying a simple Budhist chant. The speaking
            out
            > loud keeps me from falling asleep and keeps the daily chores
            out of
            > my mind - but I find that I can't do it for very long - 5
            minutes
            > seems to be it so far. I've also been doing some stretching
            and
            > breathing techniques before I start.
            >
            > Any suggestions for a baby???
            >

            > Next time, after a good sleep, get up and start
            whatever "meditation" you do.

            > If you again fall asleep, no problem, have another good nap
            and then get up and then start.

            > It is rather difficult to go back to sleep after 2 good naps.
            >
            > If you find that your thoughts have moved to the grocery
            list, or to some Buddhist Rap
            > or even how you will get even with your %$#@&^
            neighbour,........

            > .......notice that your thoughts have moved to such.
            >
            > And in the noticing, you are back with yourself.

            cool, Sandeep. :)

            dabo