Re: [Meditation Society of America] Digest Number 1026/Jason/guns etc

  • Grant Bardsley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2 11:48 AM
      Hi Jason,

      Apologies to you and the the other folks here for forgetting to edit when
      replying to the digest last time. Always drives me crazy when that happens
      and I'm receiving.

      >I've never been a buff or a big time knower of types and names of weapons.

      I'm a terrible accumulator of gun names and models, the same with cinema, I
      remember names and faces on screen and directors. I've often been amazed at
      how effortless this is and opined at my failure to make any real use of this
      skill other than for fun.

      >I'm >not a big gun fan
      >in general for the simple fact that I just don't need a gun these days (via
      hunting or >sharp
      >shooting)

      Mine's just for fun but at the same time it's not a toy and I keep it locked
      up and out of the way of the kids.

      They like to shoot with me occasionally but are soon bored by the discipline
      and repetition.

      >and really don't want the responsability to keep them out of the hands >of
      the kids,
      >especially when they feel they want to impress thier friends. I know there
      are >ways to do this and
      >teach them they shouldn't be pulling out weapons to show off, but that
      would be >the only reason I
      >would have a gun collection (to show them off). It's just too dangerous to
      have >them around, even
      >when properly trained in the use.

      I agree with you as far as bullet firing weapons are concerned. In England
      for instance the gun laws are very draconian making the ownership of any
      firearm a tricky proposition and i fully support them.

      Where I live now (Portugal, just about to win the European cup by the way,
      if you're a soccer fan) everyone has a shotgun and goes hunting. Several
      hunters are blown away annually by other hunters, as well as thousands of
      small birds, rabbits, deer and boar.

      >Not that I'm against gun ownership, especially >when people are
      >smart about using them, but here in Ohio they just passed a law that gives
      gun >owners rights to
      >carry them concealed and there are just alot of angery people out there.

      Yes.

      I think it's a complex issue, the relationship between gun law and gun
      crime. In Canada for instance, while they have almost as many guns per
      capita as the states, they still have almost negligible rate of death by
      shooting.

      This was something highlighted in the excellent 'Bowling for Columbine' by
      Michael Moore; highly recommended as a doc. on these issues if you haven't
      caught it already.

      >Anywho, I'm glad to hear you actually enjoy the gun and shooting. I've been
      to >the range with
      >friends and had a great time firing off rounds too! Funny how I just don't
      have >any motivation
      >for that kind of stress relief stuff anymore.

      >Peace and Love

      I'm glad to say that most of the time my shooting is just an agreeable
      leisure time activity; I hope to do some archery too one of these days.

      In terms of stress relief, I often get hunched in my shoulders and neck from
      time at the PC and then a spot of shooting (by moonlight with the laser
      sight!) provides welcome relief from that particular stress, as does the
      throwing about of nunchukas from time to time.

      Hunter S Thompson was a big fan of destressing by shooting with large guns,
      as I recall.

      Guns and knives and the martial arts in general carry a heavy non-pc
      anti-liberal charge as symbols, though there's an intimate relationship
      between the martial arts and religion; I've just read 'Zen in the Art of
      Archery' by Eugene Herrigel which is fascinating and all about this.

      Sayonara,

      Grant.
    • Jason Fishman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2 8:34 PM

        Grant Bardsley <bardsley@...> wrote:

        Hi Jason,

        Hi Grant, thanks for the share!

        Apologies to you and the the other folks here for forgetting to edit when replying to the digest last time. Always drives me crazy when that happens and I'm receiving.

        --- I thought it very clear. But then again I rarely edit the text I write (which probably shows). Just wisps right off the cuff.

        >I've never been a buff or a big time knower of types and names of weapons.

        I'm a terrible accumulator of gun  names and models, the same with cinema, I remember names and faces on screen and directors. I've often been amazed at how effortless this is and opined at my failure to make any real use of this skill other than for fun.

        --- Wow, thats great! I'm like that with music and cars. But for the most part my memory is less then keen.

        >I'm >not a big gun fan
        >in general for the simple fact that I just don't need a gun these days (via
        hunting or >sharp
        >shooting)

        Mine's just for fun but at the same time it's not a toy and I keep it locked up and out of the way of the kids.

        They like to shoot with me occasionally but are soon bored by the discipline and repetition.

        --- Yea I understand. I don't do that well with repeatition either unless it's something that somehow really grabs me. My kids can't sit still for much other then movies and the tv. One or two of them can actually sit and read an entire book, but only on rare occasions of sheer bordem.

        >and really don't want the responsability to keep them out of the hands >of
        the kids,
        >especially when they feel they want to impress thier friends. I know there
        are >ways to do this and
        >teach them they shouldn't be pulling out weapons to show off, but that
        would be >the only reason I
        >would have a gun collection (to show them off). It's just too dangerous to
        have >them around, even
        >when properly trained in the use.

        I agree with you as far as bullet firing weapons are concerned. In England for instance the gun laws are very draconian making the ownership of any firearm a tricky proposition and i fully support them.

        --- It's wierd for me... I'm not a big advocate of laws in general, but somehow it's slighty unnerving if I think about the new gun laws at the local bar (pub) in that someone might just have a gun, get drunk and start firing off rounds when someone looks at thier girlfriend wrong. This is the state of the US more often then not. From what I hear from friends, they seem to be constently nervous of being injured and or killed, which is a huge reason for this endless piles of laws we seem to have.

        Where I live now (Portugal, just about to win the European cup by the way, if you're a soccer fan) everyone has a shotgun and goes hunting. Several hunters are blown away annually by other hunters, as well as thousands of small birds, rabbits, deer and boar.

        --- Yes, shooting up the forest! We have that here pretty often too! Some of the metro-parks here open up for dear season and there is pratically always a story about how someone got shot in thier backyard trimming bushes or playing with the dog.

        >Not that I'm against gun ownership, especially >when people are
        >smart about using them, but here in Ohio they just passed a law that gives
        gun >owners rights to
        >carry them concealed and there are just alot of angery people out there.

        Yes.

        I think it's a complex issue, the relationship between gun law and gun crime. In Canada for instance, while they have almost as many guns percapita as the states, they still have almost negligible rate of death by shooting.

        --- True. I think the mentality is more stable in Canada. One major reason is that they have a form of government that actually tends to cater to the desires of the people and manages a health care system thats "free" as well. The US government is a tax junkie and the people pay every last cent for greedy palms (including all sorts of insurances). I typically get half my earned salary after taxes and I hear england is running close behind in wage taxation. Costs for goods here are very high in comparison to income, but you might hardly notice it on the surface in the middle class areas.

        This was something highlighted in the excellent 'Bowling for Columbine' by Michael Moore; highly recommended as a doc. on these issues if you haven't caught it already.

        --- No, I haven't maybe I'll check it out. For sure I'll add it to the growing list of docs to look into.

        >Anywho, I'm glad to hear you actually enjoy the gun and shooting. I've been
        to >the range with
        >friends and had a great time firing off rounds too! Funny how I just don't
        have >any motivation
        >for that kind of stress relief stuff anymore.

        >Peace and Love

        I'm glad to say that most of the time my shooting is just an agreeable leisure time activity; I hope to do some archery too one of these days.

        In terms of stress relief, I often get hunched in my shoulders and neck from time at the PC and then a spot of shooting (by moonlight with the lasersight!) provides welcome relief from that particular stress, as does the throwing about of nunchukas from time to time.

        --- Yes, that sounds like an all around great view to have of weapons in general. I enjoy doing all sorts of stuff by moonlight too, the moon is such a draw!
        Speaking of which.... I was enjoying the full moon tonight and noticed it low in the sky but much smaller then it was last time when it was this low in the sky. Last time, at arms length it measured aprox. 1 inch (sorry US standard measure). Yet tonight it's just a little over 1/4. It's interesting how many theories there are about why the moon appears so big when it's low in the horizon, but tonight it's not. I guess I'm still in awe of such mysteries. Perhaps the moons orbit does get shallower, but according to science, it doesn't change in distance very much at all.

        Hunter S Thompson was a big fan of destressing by shooting with large guns, as I recall.

        Guns and knives and the martial arts in general carry a heavy non-pc anti-liberal charge as symbols, though there's an intimate relationship between the martial arts and religion; I've just read 'Zen in the Art of Archery' by Eugene Herrigel which is fascinating and all about this.

        --- Is it anything like Zen and the art of motorcycle maintainence? I read that some years ago and wasn't too fond of the ideas behind the comparison. Zen just feels so personal and abstract where motorcycle maintainence more mechanical, geometric, general and scientific. There was just alot of referencing to mechanation and logic in what it's like to experience being human. To me, the 2 are almost completely incompatable comparisons.

        Oh, which reminds me of a preview for a new movie thats comming out that I saw before spiderman 2 this evening. It's about the human race building robots to serve mankind, but then the robots attempt to take control (not a new idea, but looks like fun for sci-fi/action buffs like me), adopting the human attributes of power and desire. It's starring Will Smith (who was a rapper, turned tv star, then movie star) and who I think is great and versatile, even in the more serious roles. Just some thoughts as you mentioned cinema, spiderman 2 was awesome and thrilling! Better then the first one I think.

        ---

        Peace and Love

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Jason Fishman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3 5:06 AM
          Jason Fishman <munkiman4u@...> wrote:

          I've posted stuff like this before without much or any todo over it. I wonder if people on here just pass the experience by, perhaps no one here can't relate. I'd be interested in comments and/or thoughts.

          Last night I set aside a little time for a practice that I used to do quite often, but stopped for the last experience was vapid and seemed deadly. It's a remote viewing of sorts, but it doen't seem to take on the quality that I have read about in the past. Most people that I have read on the experience of remote viewing describe it as a tearing away from the body, almost like a ripping can be heard/felt.

          I did do a short travel last night and this is how it typically goes...

          It's a must (I have found) to lie down, usually on my back, but most of the time it doesn't matter anymore what position. There are 3 stages. The first is a silent witness role, as in most meditation practices, of just getting into watch mode. It's not in breath control or any other exercise though, since what your looking to do is break away from the body. As I start to fall back the second stage is a heaviness, a sinking like a ton, but if I lift my arm during it feels normal, it's something else that gets heavy. This is where I usually used to bail out, it's very, very heavy as you follow it in. The third step is as the heaviness smooths out into a float, but the sensation is practically vacant, almost as if the feeling aspect is just residual. Like feeling limbs, eyes ears, etc. are just minimal sensations, but there is a very strong emotional feeling, not sure how to describe it because typically when there is feeling of emotion there is a bodily sensation that correspondes, there just isn't that sort of sensation, it's very dull.

          After that stage I'm there and can move about (as if by will). I don't feel a balance or local I only "see" local and very fainty "hear", both of which are very clear but ghostly in quality. I don't have perfect vision and usually cant read the clock across the room well, but in this "state" it's crystal clear, but hollow in appearence. It's almost like the reverse of what a ghostly image is to a physical body. If you pass your hand through a mist, thats what it's like with normally solid objects. There also seems to be a residual self image of a body going on too, as I have gone by a mirror, looked at myself and I look like I would "expect" myself to look like. I often don't get off far, for to long, maybe 10-12 feet from the body, then the heaviness kicks in and almost immediately I'm back.

          I'm a pretty logical oriented person, all of this sounds far fetched, even in writting it. Part of it is "passing" on the logic of it "this can't be happening" which stops it pronto, although there may be a slight heaviness for a few minutes after. I can't suggest that any try it unless they have been in the heaviness stage before and know how that feels. It's not painful or anything, just very intense.

          Since many of us here talk about meditation, yoga and spiritual practices, I'd really be interested in anyones thoughts or shares, save it though if you just think I'm hallucinating, I've already concidered that! Being an LSD user in the past, this aint nothing like that at all. Since Jeff isn't around anymore, no one "goes" there much these days with me, at least not on these lists.

          Peace and Love

          Do you Yahoo!?
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4 6:35 AM
            <munkiman4u@y...> wrote:
> [...]
            then the heaviness kicks in and almost immediately I'm back.

            > I'm a pretty logical oriented person, all of this sounds far
            fetched, even in writting it. Part of it is "passing" on the logic of
            it "this can't be happening" which stops it pronto, although there may
            be a slight heaviness for a few minutes after. I can't suggest that
            any try it unless they have been in the heaviness stage before and
            know how that feels. It's not painful or anything, just very intense.

            > Since many of us here talk about meditation, yoga and spiritual
            practices, I'd really be interested in anyones thoughts or shares,
            save it though if you just think I'm hallucinating, I've already
            concidered that! Being an LSD user in the past, this aint nothing like
            that at all. Since Jeff isn't around anymore, no one "goes" there much
            these days with me, at least not on these lists.

            Dear Sri Jason,
            It seems from here that all 6+ billion of us 'go there' every night as
            we all astral travel in our dreams. But perhaps we could qualify that
            as just dreaming, and Astral Travel as being conscious of being out of
            body, and Remote Viewing as being able to direct the astral travel to
            a specific destination. In any event, it is fascinating stuff, and
            maybe that could be a problem, as so many get stuck reviewing these
            transcendent events, and don't smell the roses right in front of them.
            This is commonly characterized by retelling their Enlightenment story
            over and over and over again. When around the 'Real deal', they
            invariably (well, nothing is invariable except invariability, eh:-)
            present the present. In any event, we had an Astral Aspects article in
            The Inner Traveler issue #9 that also gives a simple 'how-to' method
            for astral traveling/remote viewing. It's a large file (the issue is
            2.6Mb) and will take a while to download, but for those who are
            interested in this subject, the art accompanying alone it is worth the
            wait. The URL is: http://www.meditationsociety.com/it94382/index.html
          • Jason Fishman
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4 8:18 AM

              Great comments Bob! Thank you..some thoughts below...

              ---- The dreamer doesn't make a choice about the dream. The apparentness of the choosing deciphers the experience, in my experience. It's a very powerful and corruptable thing to have a choice and not one easily given out. Being dependent on the dream is also a choice, but not one that appears that way to the dreamer. Choice can only be available when there is an experience known to choose from, with that the choice to feel well about others and make that a focal point, does make the choosing smoother and more apparent.

              In any event, it is fascinating stuff, and maybe that could be a problem, as so many get stuck reviewing these transcendent events, and don't smell the roses right in front of them.

              --- An experience of a rose! It's practically transcendent!

              --- Well enlightenment can certainly be a personal goal, but it can not be reached as a destination without doing the leg work and removal of the idea of what enlightment is like. Present is always there, no real need to look for it. I do however understand your take here, stay in the now, planning for with expectations of, provided by past experience is often a futile process that destroys the enjoyment of, when future plans become the present. In other words, have a goal, not an outcome... Invariability! Well said :-)

              In any event, we had an Astral Aspects article in
              The Inner Traveler issue #9 that also gives a simple 'how-to' method for astral traveling/remote viewing. It's a large file (the issue is 2.6Mb) and will take a while to download, but for those who are interested in this subject, the art accompanying alone it is worth the wait. The URL is: http://www.meditationsociety.com/it94382/index.html

              --- Another great issue, having the reader at heart as always! I will read it further, perhaps in it's entirety this evening after a few 4th parties! Happy 4th to those that celebrate!!!

              Thanks so much, Bob!
              Peace and Love

              http://mail.yahoo.com