Re: Knives vs Meditation

  • no by
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2004
      Dear Bob, dear Gene Poole, dear Readers,

      even as German the language English
      as my second choice is more difficult
      to write and sometimes to understand.

      From this letter of my friend Gene Poole,
      well known and - in my way - respected
      meanwhil as worthy friend may I add my point?

      ''Forge work on metal'' needs a higher heat
      than i.e. cutting plum-cake into pieces -
      don't you agree about this natural law?

      When you get closer to this heat of fire,
      have you experienced uncomfortable reactions
      - like sweat, a desire to escape, to leave the place?

      Therefore to stand the heat of the fire, symbolized
      as ''hell fire'' in some cultures, from my P.o.V.
      a special conditioned training is inevitable.

      From my family and culture heritage this
      hard education is for ''warriors'' only -
      weak ones perish, die or leave in disgust.

      Gene Poole gets by the years of our friendship
      stronger and stronger in this warrior training,
      our longtime relationship brings sweets after sweat?

      Some rare ones with a longing for the ''heat of the fire'',
      some rare ones stand hot, hard forge work,
      real rare ones meditate on mind-knife, lovely art of attacks!

      n0by

      sheltering energy for my friend Gene Poole:

      http://www.n0by.de/2/rst/geenepool.htm

      Spiritually oriented groups disdain
      cutting remarks; and everyone wants
      to be on the cutting edge.

      A good knife used well, never loses its temper.

      Participating in spiritual groups, can be
      a test of one's mettle.

      A private or smallish smithy/forging
      company can produce damascus steel
      for you. You can even learn how to
      design the billets, to render into the
      very patterns you desire.

      If you really get into it, you can buy/make
      your own forge setup, including a nifty
      automatic 'pounder', and stationary
      metal-cutting bandsaw, so that you can
      design and produce your own billets of
      damascus. You can fold them as much as
      you want.

      I find metal-working, especially forge
      work, to be a fine 'meditation'.

      ==Gene Poole==

      http://n0by.de

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 30, 2004
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, no by
        <n0by4you@y...> wrote:
        > Dear Bob, dear Gene Poole, dear Readers,
        >
        > even as German the language English
        > as my second choice is more difficult
        > to write and sometimes to understand.
        >
        > From this letter of my friend Gene Poole,
        > well known and - in my way - respected
        > meanwhil as worthy friend may I add my point?
        >
        > ''Forge work on metal'' needs a higher heat
        > than i.e. cutting plum-cake into pieces -
        > don't you agree about this natural law?
        >
        > When you get closer to this heat of fire,
        > have you experienced uncomfortable reactions
        > - like sweat, a desire to escape, to leave the place?
        >
        > Therefore to stand the heat of the fire, symbolized
        > as ''hell fire'' in some cultures, from my P.o.V.
        > a special conditioned training is inevitable.
        >
        > From my family and culture heritage this
        > hard education is for ''warriors'' only -
        > weak ones perish, die or leave in disgust.
        >
        > Gene Poole gets by the years of our friendship
        > stronger and stronger in this warrior training,
        > our longtime relationship brings sweets after sweat?
        >
        > Some rare ones with a longing for the ''heat of the fire'',
        > some rare ones stand hot, hard forge work,
        > real rare ones meditate on mind-knife, lovely art of attacks!
        >
        > n0by

        > sheltering energy for my friend Gene Poole:

        > http://www.n0by.de/2/rst/geenepool.htm

        Dear nOby,

        Well said, in any language. When we want to get a dirty white sheet
        clean, we drown it, put caustic substances on it, grind them in,
        drown them again, put them through the wringer, and finally iron them
        out with heat and pressure. And finally they are pure and clean.
        Similarly, as you point to, when we want to turn iron into steel, we
        heat it to the extreme and burn out the impurities. We then pound it
        into a usuable shape. This is analagous to what the seeker can expect
        on his quest to inner freedom, and meditation, self-enquery, and
        other so-called spiritual practices can be seen as the tools and
        actions to use to remove the impurities and make us strong and usable
        (by, as AA would put it, "The Higher Power"). And yes, it is a
        warrior ethic that leads to being ready, willing, and able to go
        through the spiritual fire.

      • Gene Poole
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 30, 2004
          >no by <n0by4you@y...> wrote:

          > Dear Bob, dear Gene Poole, dear Readers,
          >
          > even as German the language English
          > as my second choice is more difficult
          > to write and sometimes to understand.
          >
          > From this letter of my friend Gene Poole,
          > well known and - in my way - respected
          > meanwhil as worthy friend may I add my point?

          Thanks, n00b.

          > ''Forge work on metal'' needs a higher heat
          > than i.e. cutting plum-cake into pieces -
          > don't you agree about this natural law?

          It is yes, a matter of higher heat,
          needed to allow shaping of metal.

          But more than heat, really; the issue
          is TIME.

          An instance; how much time does
          pass, before coal, becomes diamond,
          even at the very high heat and pressure,
          in the environment deep inside the
          planet?

          It is not an 'instant' process; and
          because it can happen only in
          certain ways, over a period of time,
          'impatience' will not hasten the
          transformation.

          The same with metal forge work;
          the 'finished product' will take an
          amount of time, during which the
          skill of the smithy is deployed.

          Impatience, will serve only to dull
          the skill, and also, will result in an
          inferior end-product.

          One who fires the forge for metal-
          work, knows already, the factor of
          time, and knows that there is no
          short-cut. In this, we see the difference
          between the master smithy, and the
          impatient 'spiritual seeker'.

          > When you get closer to this heat of fire,
          > have you experienced uncomfortable reactions
          > - like sweat, a desire to escape, to leave the place?

          I and the forge, are one.

          > Therefore to stand the heat of the fire, symbolized
          > as ''hell fire'' in some cultures, from my P.o.V.
          > a special conditioned training is inevitable.
          >
          > From my family and culture heritage this
          > hard education is for ''warriors'' only -
          > weak ones perish, die or leave in disgust.

          Skill is learned over time; and skill is deployed
          over time, to produce a desired product.

          The heat, the skill, are for nothing,
          if time is not respected.

          Hitting harder, does not replace the
          skill of the hit; the shaping of hot metal,
          requires 'finesse', skill won by experience,
          which is acquired by the virtue of patience,
          and that patience, is simply an acknowledgment
          of the reality of the relationship between
          metal, and heat.

          > Gene Poole gets by the years of our friendship
          > stronger and stronger in this warrior training,
          > our longtime relationship brings sweets after sweat?

          My 'reward' for the sweat, is to be
          able to exert my efforts with 'finesse';
          so that, I am able to shape into fine detail,
          what before, had been a crude lump.

          > Some rare ones with a longing for the ''heat of the fire'',
          > some rare ones stand hot, hard forge work,
          > real rare ones meditate on mind-knife, lovely art of attacks!
          >
          > n0by

          'Attack' is relative, is it not?

          Does the tumor perceive the
          scalpel of the surgeon as 'attack'?

          And is the motive of the surgeon,
          'attack', or is it creative, to preserve
          and prolong the life of the patient?

          These are among the issues,
          which must be explored and
          understood, before the Big Brain
          can finally get about its real
          business.

          When these issues are understood,
          the fulfillment of resonance with
          one's true nature can be had; and
          then, one is functioning above the
          level of dire conflict.

          ==Gene Poole==

          > Spiritually oriented groups disdain
          > cutting remarks; and everyone wants
          > to be on the cutting edge.
          >
          > A good knife used well, never loses its temper.
          >
          > Participating in spiritual groups, can be
          > a test of one's mettle.
          >
          > A private or smallish smithy/forging
          > company can produce damascus steel
          > for you. You can even learn how to
          > design the billets, to render into the
          > very patterns you desire.
          >
          > If you really get into it, you can buy/make
          > your own forge setup, including a nifty
          > automatic 'pounder', and stationary
          > metal-cutting bandsaw, so that you can
          > design and produce your own billets of
          > damascus. You can fold them as much as
          > you want.
          >
          > I find metal-working, especially forge
          > work, to be a fine 'meditation'.
          >

          > ==Gene Poole==
          >

          > http://n0by.de

        • no by
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004

               Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:50:38 -0000
               From: "Gene Poole" <gene_poole@...>
            Subject: Re: Knives vs Meditation: Forging a-head

            Thanks, n00b.

            But more than heat, really; the issue
            is TIME.

            Thanks, G.P. - great Priest or something like this? ;-)

            It looks like, you're right. Sure you are,
            otherwise, who am I, to talk against your truth?

            That brings my weird warrior's word work
            to the point of _my_ real issues:

            HELPLESSNESS!

            My words are helpless, all what I've done,
            utterly helpless - a growing helpless towards death!

            My floppy finger in service of my mind, ego, existence,
            my readers reactions or actions against/for or YAHHHN...

            HELPLESSNESS!

            Again and again I have to admit, ''I'' can ''do''nothing'' -
            nothing can be done - like time runs out with each breath.

            In this helplessness my way to the exit should surrender,
            even in this I'm helpless - it happens or not -

            Like friendship, enemies, love, hate or YAAAAHNNN,
            helpless I am, helplessness is the issue, _my_ issue!

            n0by

            helpless

            even to lazy to look up the dic,
            who this word needs to written: HELPLESSNESS!

            Helpless to share my helpless missing understading
            for my helplessness - really I, I, I would prefer to help myself !

            But WHO AM I?

            helpless

            endless

            helpless

            sobsobsob

            http://n0by.de

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • Nina
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004
              Connection found between knives and meditation...

              Nina

              . . .

              http://www.throwzini.com/issue_91.html

              2. GUEST COLUMN:

              KNIFE THROWING THERAPY
              by Jim Tengler

              Hello, just thought I'd share a little something about what I
              call "KTT" or "Knife Throwing Therapy". To fill you in quickly, I
              have been throwing knives off and on for most of my life. I'm 41 now.
              No competition or anything, just having fun.

              About four and a half years ago I was in a bad motorcycle accident,
              broke a lot of bones and had eight surgeries to try to repair some of
              it. To make a long story short, I ended up with severe chronic pain
              in a few areas.

              One of the methods of trying to fight chronic pain is meditation and
              one form of this meditation is called distractive meditation. What
              that means is finding something that you have to concentrate on and
              focus to help distract your mind from focusing on the pain. In the
              process of finding something I could focus on and stay with for that
              I decided to use knife throwing, since its something I love and you
              need to focus on.

              So I set up a target in the back yard and I've been throwing everyday
              for months now. It turns out to be fantastic therapy for the pain and
              a great way to relieve stress and a focused way to relieve anger and
              frustration.

              Plus my nine-year-old daughter who always wants to do stuff with Dad
              has picked up the sport and loves it. And to be fair, when she really
              focuses she can sometimes throw better than me. Kinda embarrasses me
              sometimes but she's a natural.

              Well that's about all. Just thought I'd pass on that knife throwing
              could even have some medical benefits to it.

              Happy throwing and stay safe.

              Jim Tengler