Re: Knives vs Meditation

  • Gene Poole
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 28, 2004
      >medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > We now have about 375 members, and our sister/brother
      > meditation/nonduality/enlightenment/etc sites have as many as a little
      > over double this. I recently became interested in collecting and
      > learning how to make knives. I couldn't possibly tell you where or why
      > this yen came into my consciousness, but there it was, and so I sought
      > out information on the web about this (what I thought was) somewhat
      > esoteric hobby/calling/material desire/whatever. Well, it turns out
      > that one group I belong to has 24,000 members, another 16,000, and
      > another 15,000. So, I guess what I'm wondering is what the
      > significance of there being such a greater apparent interest in knives
      > than in consciousness evolving subjects.
      > Peace and blessings,
      > Bob
      > PS: Anybody know where I can get some good damascus blades at
      > reasonable prices?:-)

      Spiritually oriented groups disdain
      cutting remarks; and everyone wants
      to be on the cutting edge.

      A good knife used well, never loses its temper.

      Participating in spiritual groups, can be
      a test of one's mettle.

      A private or smallish smithy/forging
      company can produce damascus steel
      for you. You can even learn how to
      design the billets, to render into the
      very patterns you desire.

      If you really get into it, you can buy/make
      your own forge setup, including a nifty
      automatic 'pounder', and stationary
      metal-cutting bandsaw, so that you can
      design and produce your own billets of
      damascus. You can fold them as much as
      you want.

      I find metal-working, especially forge
      work, to be a fine 'meditation'.

      ==Gene Poole==
    • no by
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 30, 2004
        Dear Bob, dear Gene Poole, dear Readers,

        even as German the language English
        as my second choice is more difficult
        to write and sometimes to understand.

        From this letter of my friend Gene Poole,
        well known and - in my way - respected
        meanwhil as worthy friend may I add my point?

        ''Forge work on metal'' needs a higher heat
        than i.e. cutting plum-cake into pieces -
        don't you agree about this natural law?

        When you get closer to this heat of fire,
        have you experienced uncomfortable reactions
        - like sweat, a desire to escape, to leave the place?

        Therefore to stand the heat of the fire, symbolized
        as ''hell fire'' in some cultures, from my P.o.V.
        a special conditioned training is inevitable.

        From my family and culture heritage this
        hard education is for ''warriors'' only -
        weak ones perish, die or leave in disgust.

        Gene Poole gets by the years of our friendship
        stronger and stronger in this warrior training,
        our longtime relationship brings sweets after sweat?

        Some rare ones with a longing for the ''heat of the fire'',
        some rare ones stand hot, hard forge work,
        real rare ones meditate on mind-knife, lovely art of attacks!

        n0by

        sheltering energy for my friend Gene Poole:

        http://www.n0by.de/2/rst/geenepool.htm

        Spiritually oriented groups disdain
        cutting remarks; and everyone wants
        to be on the cutting edge.

        A good knife used well, never loses its temper.

        Participating in spiritual groups, can be
        a test of one's mettle.

        A private or smallish smithy/forging
        company can produce damascus steel
        for you. You can even learn how to
        design the billets, to render into the
        very patterns you desire.

        If you really get into it, you can buy/make
        your own forge setup, including a nifty
        automatic 'pounder', and stationary
        metal-cutting bandsaw, so that you can
        design and produce your own billets of
        damascus. You can fold them as much as
        you want.

        I find metal-working, especially forge
        work, to be a fine 'meditation'.

        ==Gene Poole==

        http://n0by.de

        Do you Yahoo!?
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 30, 2004
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, no by
          <n0by4you@y...> wrote:
          > Dear Bob, dear Gene Poole, dear Readers,
          >
          > even as German the language English
          > as my second choice is more difficult
          > to write and sometimes to understand.
          >
          > From this letter of my friend Gene Poole,
          > well known and - in my way - respected
          > meanwhil as worthy friend may I add my point?
          >
          > ''Forge work on metal'' needs a higher heat
          > than i.e. cutting plum-cake into pieces -
          > don't you agree about this natural law?
          >
          > When you get closer to this heat of fire,
          > have you experienced uncomfortable reactions
          > - like sweat, a desire to escape, to leave the place?
          >
          > Therefore to stand the heat of the fire, symbolized
          > as ''hell fire'' in some cultures, from my P.o.V.
          > a special conditioned training is inevitable.
          >
          > From my family and culture heritage this
          > hard education is for ''warriors'' only -
          > weak ones perish, die or leave in disgust.
          >
          > Gene Poole gets by the years of our friendship
          > stronger and stronger in this warrior training,
          > our longtime relationship brings sweets after sweat?
          >
          > Some rare ones with a longing for the ''heat of the fire'',
          > some rare ones stand hot, hard forge work,
          > real rare ones meditate on mind-knife, lovely art of attacks!
          >
          > n0by

          > sheltering energy for my friend Gene Poole:

          > http://www.n0by.de/2/rst/geenepool.htm

          Dear nOby,

          Well said, in any language. When we want to get a dirty white sheet
          clean, we drown it, put caustic substances on it, grind them in,
          drown them again, put them through the wringer, and finally iron them
          out with heat and pressure. And finally they are pure and clean.
          Similarly, as you point to, when we want to turn iron into steel, we
          heat it to the extreme and burn out the impurities. We then pound it
          into a usuable shape. This is analagous to what the seeker can expect
          on his quest to inner freedom, and meditation, self-enquery, and
          other so-called spiritual practices can be seen as the tools and
          actions to use to remove the impurities and make us strong and usable
          (by, as AA would put it, "The Higher Power"). And yes, it is a
          warrior ethic that leads to being ready, willing, and able to go
          through the spiritual fire.

        • Gene Poole
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 30, 2004
            >no by <n0by4you@y...> wrote:

            > Dear Bob, dear Gene Poole, dear Readers,
            >
            > even as German the language English
            > as my second choice is more difficult
            > to write and sometimes to understand.
            >
            > From this letter of my friend Gene Poole,
            > well known and - in my way - respected
            > meanwhil as worthy friend may I add my point?

            Thanks, n00b.

            > ''Forge work on metal'' needs a higher heat
            > than i.e. cutting plum-cake into pieces -
            > don't you agree about this natural law?

            It is yes, a matter of higher heat,
            needed to allow shaping of metal.

            But more than heat, really; the issue
            is TIME.

            An instance; how much time does
            pass, before coal, becomes diamond,
            even at the very high heat and pressure,
            in the environment deep inside the
            planet?

            It is not an 'instant' process; and
            because it can happen only in
            certain ways, over a period of time,
            'impatience' will not hasten the
            transformation.

            The same with metal forge work;
            the 'finished product' will take an
            amount of time, during which the
            skill of the smithy is deployed.

            Impatience, will serve only to dull
            the skill, and also, will result in an
            inferior end-product.

            One who fires the forge for metal-
            work, knows already, the factor of
            time, and knows that there is no
            short-cut. In this, we see the difference
            between the master smithy, and the
            impatient 'spiritual seeker'.

            > When you get closer to this heat of fire,
            > have you experienced uncomfortable reactions
            > - like sweat, a desire to escape, to leave the place?

            I and the forge, are one.

            > Therefore to stand the heat of the fire, symbolized
            > as ''hell fire'' in some cultures, from my P.o.V.
            > a special conditioned training is inevitable.
            >
            > From my family and culture heritage this
            > hard education is for ''warriors'' only -
            > weak ones perish, die or leave in disgust.

            Skill is learned over time; and skill is deployed
            over time, to produce a desired product.

            The heat, the skill, are for nothing,
            if time is not respected.

            Hitting harder, does not replace the
            skill of the hit; the shaping of hot metal,
            requires 'finesse', skill won by experience,
            which is acquired by the virtue of patience,
            and that patience, is simply an acknowledgment
            of the reality of the relationship between
            metal, and heat.

            > Gene Poole gets by the years of our friendship
            > stronger and stronger in this warrior training,
            > our longtime relationship brings sweets after sweat?

            My 'reward' for the sweat, is to be
            able to exert my efforts with 'finesse';
            so that, I am able to shape into fine detail,
            what before, had been a crude lump.

            > Some rare ones with a longing for the ''heat of the fire'',
            > some rare ones stand hot, hard forge work,
            > real rare ones meditate on mind-knife, lovely art of attacks!
            >
            > n0by

            'Attack' is relative, is it not?

            Does the tumor perceive the
            scalpel of the surgeon as 'attack'?

            And is the motive of the surgeon,
            'attack', or is it creative, to preserve
            and prolong the life of the patient?

            These are among the issues,
            which must be explored and
            understood, before the Big Brain
            can finally get about its real
            business.

            When these issues are understood,
            the fulfillment of resonance with
            one's true nature can be had; and
            then, one is functioning above the
            level of dire conflict.

            ==Gene Poole==

            > Spiritually oriented groups disdain
            > cutting remarks; and everyone wants
            > to be on the cutting edge.
            >
            > A good knife used well, never loses its temper.
            >
            > Participating in spiritual groups, can be
            > a test of one's mettle.
            >
            > A private or smallish smithy/forging
            > company can produce damascus steel
            > for you. You can even learn how to
            > design the billets, to render into the
            > very patterns you desire.
            >
            > If you really get into it, you can buy/make
            > your own forge setup, including a nifty
            > automatic 'pounder', and stationary
            > metal-cutting bandsaw, so that you can
            > design and produce your own billets of
            > damascus. You can fold them as much as
            > you want.
            >
            > I find metal-working, especially forge
            > work, to be a fine 'meditation'.
            >

            > ==Gene Poole==
            >

            > http://n0by.de

          • no by
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004

                 Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:50:38 -0000
                 From: "Gene Poole" <gene_poole@...>
              Subject: Re: Knives vs Meditation: Forging a-head

              Thanks, n00b.

              But more than heat, really; the issue
              is TIME.

              Thanks, G.P. - great Priest or something like this? ;-)

              It looks like, you're right. Sure you are,
              otherwise, who am I, to talk against your truth?

              That brings my weird warrior's word work
              to the point of _my_ real issues:

              HELPLESSNESS!

              My words are helpless, all what I've done,
              utterly helpless - a growing helpless towards death!

              My floppy finger in service of my mind, ego, existence,
              my readers reactions or actions against/for or YAHHHN...

              HELPLESSNESS!

              Again and again I have to admit, ''I'' can ''do''nothing'' -
              nothing can be done - like time runs out with each breath.

              In this helplessness my way to the exit should surrender,
              even in this I'm helpless - it happens or not -

              Like friendship, enemies, love, hate or YAAAAHNNN,
              helpless I am, helplessness is the issue, _my_ issue!

              n0by

              helpless

              even to lazy to look up the dic,
              who this word needs to written: HELPLESSNESS!

              Helpless to share my helpless missing understading
              for my helplessness - really I, I, I would prefer to help myself !

              But WHO AM I?

              helpless

              endless

              helpless

              sobsobsob

              http://n0by.de

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • Nina
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004
                Connection found between knives and meditation...

                Nina

                . . .

                http://www.throwzini.com/issue_91.html

                2. GUEST COLUMN:

                KNIFE THROWING THERAPY
                by Jim Tengler

                Hello, just thought I'd share a little something about what I
                call "KTT" or "Knife Throwing Therapy". To fill you in quickly, I
                have been throwing knives off and on for most of my life. I'm 41 now.
                No competition or anything, just having fun.

                About four and a half years ago I was in a bad motorcycle accident,
                broke a lot of bones and had eight surgeries to try to repair some of
                it. To make a long story short, I ended up with severe chronic pain
                in a few areas.

                One of the methods of trying to fight chronic pain is meditation and
                one form of this meditation is called distractive meditation. What
                that means is finding something that you have to concentrate on and
                focus to help distract your mind from focusing on the pain. In the
                process of finding something I could focus on and stay with for that
                I decided to use knife throwing, since its something I love and you
                need to focus on.

                So I set up a target in the back yard and I've been throwing everyday
                for months now. It turns out to be fantastic therapy for the pain and
                a great way to relieve stress and a focused way to relieve anger and
                frustration.

                Plus my nine-year-old daughter who always wants to do stuff with Dad
                has picked up the sport and loves it. And to be fair, when she really
                focuses she can sometimes throw better than me. Kinda embarrasses me
                sometimes but she's a natural.

                Well that's about all. Just thought I'd pass on that knife throwing
                could even have some medical benefits to it.

                Happy throwing and stay safe.

                Jim Tengler