Re: Knives vs Meditation

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 28, 2004
      Wow, Bob, I hadn't realized how enduringly helpful
      as well as friendly those Smokey Mountain knife shop
      folks are! The website is great, but you don't get
      the full effect unless you visit their store in
      person. It is a slice of the Smokey Mountains, a la
      Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg - not quite as over-the-top,
      mind you. Big heavy timbered stuff... and probably a
      chainsaw carving of a bear or two. Knives are nice with
      a little kitsch, you know... Lest you think it is all
      about knives, they also have quite an array of kitchen
      gadgets and "stuff"... something like a general store
      on steroids. Jam-packed full-o-stuff with something of
      a carnival atmosphere. My parents live within a longish
      driving distance of the store and it is where we went to
      find some wood carving knives for my dad.

      Nice story, btw.

      Nina
    • Gene Poole
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 28, 2004
        >medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > We now have about 375 members, and our sister/brother
        > meditation/nonduality/enlightenment/etc sites have as many as a little
        > over double this. I recently became interested in collecting and
        > learning how to make knives. I couldn't possibly tell you where or why
        > this yen came into my consciousness, but there it was, and so I sought
        > out information on the web about this (what I thought was) somewhat
        > esoteric hobby/calling/material desire/whatever. Well, it turns out
        > that one group I belong to has 24,000 members, another 16,000, and
        > another 15,000. So, I guess what I'm wondering is what the
        > significance of there being such a greater apparent interest in knives
        > than in consciousness evolving subjects.
        > Peace and blessings,
        > Bob
        > PS: Anybody know where I can get some good damascus blades at
        > reasonable prices?:-)

        Spiritually oriented groups disdain
        cutting remarks; and everyone wants
        to be on the cutting edge.

        A good knife used well, never loses its temper.

        Participating in spiritual groups, can be
        a test of one's mettle.

        A private or smallish smithy/forging
        company can produce damascus steel
        for you. You can even learn how to
        design the billets, to render into the
        very patterns you desire.

        If you really get into it, you can buy/make
        your own forge setup, including a nifty
        automatic 'pounder', and stationary
        metal-cutting bandsaw, so that you can
        design and produce your own billets of
        damascus. You can fold them as much as
        you want.

        I find metal-working, especially forge
        work, to be a fine 'meditation'.

        ==Gene Poole==
      • no by
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 30, 2004
          Dear Bob, dear Gene Poole, dear Readers,

          even as German the language English
          as my second choice is more difficult
          to write and sometimes to understand.

          From this letter of my friend Gene Poole,
          well known and - in my way - respected
          meanwhil as worthy friend may I add my point?

          ''Forge work on metal'' needs a higher heat
          than i.e. cutting plum-cake into pieces -
          don't you agree about this natural law?

          When you get closer to this heat of fire,
          have you experienced uncomfortable reactions
          - like sweat, a desire to escape, to leave the place?

          Therefore to stand the heat of the fire, symbolized
          as ''hell fire'' in some cultures, from my P.o.V.
          a special conditioned training is inevitable.

          From my family and culture heritage this
          hard education is for ''warriors'' only -
          weak ones perish, die or leave in disgust.

          Gene Poole gets by the years of our friendship
          stronger and stronger in this warrior training,
          our longtime relationship brings sweets after sweat?

          Some rare ones with a longing for the ''heat of the fire'',
          some rare ones stand hot, hard forge work,
          real rare ones meditate on mind-knife, lovely art of attacks!

          n0by

          sheltering energy for my friend Gene Poole:

          http://www.n0by.de/2/rst/geenepool.htm

          Spiritually oriented groups disdain
          cutting remarks; and everyone wants
          to be on the cutting edge.

          A good knife used well, never loses its temper.

          Participating in spiritual groups, can be
          a test of one's mettle.

          A private or smallish smithy/forging
          company can produce damascus steel
          for you. You can even learn how to
          design the billets, to render into the
          very patterns you desire.

          If you really get into it, you can buy/make
          your own forge setup, including a nifty
          automatic 'pounder', and stationary
          metal-cutting bandsaw, so that you can
          design and produce your own billets of
          damascus. You can fold them as much as
          you want.

          I find metal-working, especially forge
          work, to be a fine 'meditation'.

          ==Gene Poole==

          http://n0by.de

          Do you Yahoo!?
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 30, 2004
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, no by
            <n0by4you@y...> wrote:
            > Dear Bob, dear Gene Poole, dear Readers,
            >
            > even as German the language English
            > as my second choice is more difficult
            > to write and sometimes to understand.
            >
            > From this letter of my friend Gene Poole,
            > well known and - in my way - respected
            > meanwhil as worthy friend may I add my point?
            >
            > ''Forge work on metal'' needs a higher heat
            > than i.e. cutting plum-cake into pieces -
            > don't you agree about this natural law?
            >
            > When you get closer to this heat of fire,
            > have you experienced uncomfortable reactions
            > - like sweat, a desire to escape, to leave the place?
            >
            > Therefore to stand the heat of the fire, symbolized
            > as ''hell fire'' in some cultures, from my P.o.V.
            > a special conditioned training is inevitable.
            >
            > From my family and culture heritage this
            > hard education is for ''warriors'' only -
            > weak ones perish, die or leave in disgust.
            >
            > Gene Poole gets by the years of our friendship
            > stronger and stronger in this warrior training,
            > our longtime relationship brings sweets after sweat?
            >
            > Some rare ones with a longing for the ''heat of the fire'',
            > some rare ones stand hot, hard forge work,
            > real rare ones meditate on mind-knife, lovely art of attacks!
            >
            > n0by

            > sheltering energy for my friend Gene Poole:

            > http://www.n0by.de/2/rst/geenepool.htm

            Dear nOby,

            Well said, in any language. When we want to get a dirty white sheet
            clean, we drown it, put caustic substances on it, grind them in,
            drown them again, put them through the wringer, and finally iron them
            out with heat and pressure. And finally they are pure and clean.
            Similarly, as you point to, when we want to turn iron into steel, we
            heat it to the extreme and burn out the impurities. We then pound it
            into a usuable shape. This is analagous to what the seeker can expect
            on his quest to inner freedom, and meditation, self-enquery, and
            other so-called spiritual practices can be seen as the tools and
            actions to use to remove the impurities and make us strong and usable
            (by, as AA would put it, "The Higher Power"). And yes, it is a
            warrior ethic that leads to being ready, willing, and able to go
            through the spiritual fire.

          • Gene Poole
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 30, 2004
              >no by <n0by4you@y...> wrote:

              > Dear Bob, dear Gene Poole, dear Readers,
              >
              > even as German the language English
              > as my second choice is more difficult
              > to write and sometimes to understand.
              >
              > From this letter of my friend Gene Poole,
              > well known and - in my way - respected
              > meanwhil as worthy friend may I add my point?

              Thanks, n00b.

              > ''Forge work on metal'' needs a higher heat
              > than i.e. cutting plum-cake into pieces -
              > don't you agree about this natural law?

              It is yes, a matter of higher heat,
              needed to allow shaping of metal.

              But more than heat, really; the issue
              is TIME.

              An instance; how much time does
              pass, before coal, becomes diamond,
              even at the very high heat and pressure,
              in the environment deep inside the
              planet?

              It is not an 'instant' process; and
              because it can happen only in
              certain ways, over a period of time,
              'impatience' will not hasten the
              transformation.

              The same with metal forge work;
              the 'finished product' will take an
              amount of time, during which the
              skill of the smithy is deployed.

              Impatience, will serve only to dull
              the skill, and also, will result in an
              inferior end-product.

              One who fires the forge for metal-
              work, knows already, the factor of
              time, and knows that there is no
              short-cut. In this, we see the difference
              between the master smithy, and the
              impatient 'spiritual seeker'.

              > When you get closer to this heat of fire,
              > have you experienced uncomfortable reactions
              > - like sweat, a desire to escape, to leave the place?

              I and the forge, are one.

              > Therefore to stand the heat of the fire, symbolized
              > as ''hell fire'' in some cultures, from my P.o.V.
              > a special conditioned training is inevitable.
              >
              > From my family and culture heritage this
              > hard education is for ''warriors'' only -
              > weak ones perish, die or leave in disgust.

              Skill is learned over time; and skill is deployed
              over time, to produce a desired product.

              The heat, the skill, are for nothing,
              if time is not respected.

              Hitting harder, does not replace the
              skill of the hit; the shaping of hot metal,
              requires 'finesse', skill won by experience,
              which is acquired by the virtue of patience,
              and that patience, is simply an acknowledgment
              of the reality of the relationship between
              metal, and heat.

              > Gene Poole gets by the years of our friendship
              > stronger and stronger in this warrior training,
              > our longtime relationship brings sweets after sweat?

              My 'reward' for the sweat, is to be
              able to exert my efforts with 'finesse';
              so that, I am able to shape into fine detail,
              what before, had been a crude lump.

              > Some rare ones with a longing for the ''heat of the fire'',
              > some rare ones stand hot, hard forge work,
              > real rare ones meditate on mind-knife, lovely art of attacks!
              >
              > n0by

              'Attack' is relative, is it not?

              Does the tumor perceive the
              scalpel of the surgeon as 'attack'?

              And is the motive of the surgeon,
              'attack', or is it creative, to preserve
              and prolong the life of the patient?

              These are among the issues,
              which must be explored and
              understood, before the Big Brain
              can finally get about its real
              business.

              When these issues are understood,
              the fulfillment of resonance with
              one's true nature can be had; and
              then, one is functioning above the
              level of dire conflict.

              ==Gene Poole==

              > Spiritually oriented groups disdain
              > cutting remarks; and everyone wants
              > to be on the cutting edge.
              >
              > A good knife used well, never loses its temper.
              >
              > Participating in spiritual groups, can be
              > a test of one's mettle.
              >
              > A private or smallish smithy/forging
              > company can produce damascus steel
              > for you. You can even learn how to
              > design the billets, to render into the
              > very patterns you desire.
              >
              > If you really get into it, you can buy/make
              > your own forge setup, including a nifty
              > automatic 'pounder', and stationary
              > metal-cutting bandsaw, so that you can
              > design and produce your own billets of
              > damascus. You can fold them as much as
              > you want.
              >
              > I find metal-working, especially forge
              > work, to be a fine 'meditation'.
              >

              > ==Gene Poole==
              >

              > http://n0by.de

            • no by
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004

                   Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:50:38 -0000
                   From: "Gene Poole" <gene_poole@...>
                Subject: Re: Knives vs Meditation: Forging a-head

                Thanks, n00b.

                But more than heat, really; the issue
                is TIME.

                Thanks, G.P. - great Priest or something like this? ;-)

                It looks like, you're right. Sure you are,
                otherwise, who am I, to talk against your truth?

                That brings my weird warrior's word work
                to the point of _my_ real issues:

                HELPLESSNESS!

                My words are helpless, all what I've done,
                utterly helpless - a growing helpless towards death!

                My floppy finger in service of my mind, ego, existence,
                my readers reactions or actions against/for or YAHHHN...

                HELPLESSNESS!

                Again and again I have to admit, ''I'' can ''do''nothing'' -
                nothing can be done - like time runs out with each breath.

                In this helplessness my way to the exit should surrender,
                even in this I'm helpless - it happens or not -

                Like friendship, enemies, love, hate or YAAAAHNNN,
                helpless I am, helplessness is the issue, _my_ issue!

                n0by

                helpless

                even to lazy to look up the dic,
                who this word needs to written: HELPLESSNESS!

                Helpless to share my helpless missing understading
                for my helplessness - really I, I, I would prefer to help myself !

                But WHO AM I?

                helpless

                endless

                helpless

                sobsobsob

                http://n0by.de

                Do you Yahoo!?
              • Nina
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004
                  Connection found between knives and meditation...

                  Nina

                  . . .

                  http://www.throwzini.com/issue_91.html

                  2. GUEST COLUMN:

                  KNIFE THROWING THERAPY
                  by Jim Tengler

                  Hello, just thought I'd share a little something about what I
                  call "KTT" or "Knife Throwing Therapy". To fill you in quickly, I
                  have been throwing knives off and on for most of my life. I'm 41 now.
                  No competition or anything, just having fun.

                  About four and a half years ago I was in a bad motorcycle accident,
                  broke a lot of bones and had eight surgeries to try to repair some of
                  it. To make a long story short, I ended up with severe chronic pain
                  in a few areas.

                  One of the methods of trying to fight chronic pain is meditation and
                  one form of this meditation is called distractive meditation. What
                  that means is finding something that you have to concentrate on and
                  focus to help distract your mind from focusing on the pain. In the
                  process of finding something I could focus on and stay with for that
                  I decided to use knife throwing, since its something I love and you
                  need to focus on.

                  So I set up a target in the back yard and I've been throwing everyday
                  for months now. It turns out to be fantastic therapy for the pain and
                  a great way to relieve stress and a focused way to relieve anger and
                  frustration.

                  Plus my nine-year-old daughter who always wants to do stuff with Dad
                  has picked up the sport and loves it. And to be fair, when she really
                  focuses she can sometimes throw better than me. Kinda embarrasses me
                  sometimes but she's a natural.

                  Well that's about all. Just thought I'd pass on that knife throwing
                  could even have some medical benefits to it.

                  Happy throwing and stay safe.

                  Jim Tengler