Knives vs Meditation

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 28, 2004
      We now have about 375 members, and our sister/brother
      meditation/nonduality/enlightenment/etc sites have as many as a little
      over double this. I recently became interested in collecting and
      learning how to make knives. I couldn't possibly tell you where or why
      this yen came into my consciousness, but there it was, and so I sought
      out information on the web about this (what I thought was) somewhat
      esoteric hobby/calling/material desire/whatever. Well, it turns out
      that one group I belong to has 24,000 members, another 16,000, and
      another 15,000. So, I guess what I'm wondering is what the
      significance of there being such a greater apparent interest in knives
      than in consciousness evolving subjects.
      PS: Anybody know where I can get some good damascus blades at
      reasonable prices?:-)
    • Nina
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 28, 2004
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > We now have about 375 members, and our sister/brother
        > meditation/nonduality/enlightenment/etc sites have as many as a
        little
        > over double this. I recently became interested in collecting and
        > learning how to make knives. I couldn't possibly tell you where or
        why
        > this yen came into my consciousness, but there it was, and so I
        sought
        > out information on the web about this (what I thought was) somewhat
        > esoteric hobby/calling/material desire/whatever. Well, it turns out
        > that one group I belong to has 24,000 members, another 16,000, and
        > another 15,000. So, I guess what I'm wondering is what the
        > significance of there being such a greater apparent interest in
        > knives than in consciousness evolving subjects.
        > Peace and blessings,
        > Bob
        > PS: Anybody know where I can get some good damascus blades at
        > reasonable prices?:-)

        You could say that knives can be consciousness evolving objects.

        My favorite knife is the swiss army serrated knife I've had for
        camping and such. It is better than ginsu. I can saw down small
        trees and then still slice tomatoes. Plus, it fits very nicely
        in my purse. LOL! I admit that I have thought to have it near
        as a defense (hehe, how universal is THAT?) a time or two, but
        luckily have never had to use it in that capacity.

        Here is a link to an amazing knife store:
        http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/prodlist.jsp?
        Mode=Text&SearchText=damascus
        I don't know how reasonable their prices are, but the
        folks are "real nice" there. They are a little like a museum,
        with lots of old, old knives on display, as well as knives
        for sale.

        Bob, if you think knives are big, you haven't seen the traffic
        this side of town on the gun show days. Yee haw!

        Nina
      • Jason Fishman
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 28, 2004
          Hi Bob,

          Knife/blade making is actually a fun hobby, egads for me to say that, but it is. There is a craftsman like quality to many blades, which include durability, this to it's lasting sharpness, it's stress factor (flexibility) and it's over-all girth (thinkness). The girth end is also significant to it's balanced use in the hands of humans, which there is throwing thrusting and swinging. Anyway, this is the draw, those factors are all about adaptability which inculdes the forementioned atributes. The side effect is the use of the blades in killing sports which is also best within survivalist mode and competitive modes of showmenship. If you take a gander, you'll find even larger forums for survialist groups, which includes guns, outbacking, home building models, water purifications, gardening, hunting, power generation, etc.

          The point here is, adaptability, health, stamina for the human genome is a popular past time. Meditations being just one aspect of this "betterment" of the human race even carries, in some social circles, a showmenship quality in what can be done with the body in the frame of the tuned in mind (firewalking, endurance, extreme temperature viability and even abstract skills of esp). Meditation is one of the greatest forms of sharpening the minds skill, yet often overlooked since it doesn't carry that object quality in the way that all the externals mentioned do. Of course unlike making blades, mediation takes even more time and personal energies to manifest even the slightest advantages.

          Object dependencies are extremely high at this stage, who knows for sure what the future might bring?

          Peace and Love

          We now have about 375 members, and our sister/brother
          meditation/nonduality/enlightenment/etc sites have as many as a little
          over double this. I recently became interested in collecting and
          learning how to make knives. I couldn't possibly tell you where or why
          this yen came into my consciousness, but there it was, and so I sought
          out information on the web about this (what I thought was) somewhat
          esoteric hobby/calling/material desire/whatever. Well, it turns out
          that one group I belong to has 24,000 members, another 16,000, and
          another 15,000. So, I guess what I'm wondering is what the
          significance of there being such a greater apparent interest in knives
          than in consciousness evolving subjects.
          PS: Anybody know where I can get some good damascus blades at
          reasonable prices?:-)

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          click here

          Do you Yahoo!?

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 28, 2004
            <murrkis@y...> wrote:
            snip
            > You could say that knives can be consciousness evolving objects.
            >
            > My favorite knife is the swiss army serrated knife I've had for
            > camping and such. It is better than ginsu. I can saw down small
            > trees and then still slice tomatoes. Plus, it fits very nicely
            > in my purse. LOL! I admit that I have thought to have it near
            > as a defense (hehe, how universal is THAT?) a time or two, but
            > luckily have never had to use it in that capacity.
            >
            > Here is a link to an amazing knife store:
            > http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/prodlist.jsp?
            > Mode=Text&SearchText=damascus
            > I don't know how reasonable their prices are, but the
            > folks are "real nice" there. They are a little like a museum,
            > with lots of old, old knives on display, as well as knives
            > for sale.
            >
            > Bob, if you think knives are big, you haven't seen the traffic
            > this side of town on the gun show days. Yee haw!
            >
            > Nina

            Dear Ninaji,
            This is another of those "My, what a small universe this is" type
            things! I carried a swiss army knife with the amazingly effective
            serrated knife and used it virtually every day for 20+ years. Then,
            when my son was about to get married, I went looking for a good father
            to son gift for him. And naturally, I decided on giving him a
            concealed deadly weapon:-) This led me to the same Smokey Mountain
            knife company (and who, as you pointed out, now does have an excellent
            web-site http://www.eknifeworks.com ) that you kindly recommended. And
            you are so right! There are really nice people. I had found Dan a
            great turquoise knife and soon after I gave it to him, I realized that
            I'd like one for myself, because of it's beauty and quality
            construction, and as a keepsake of him (he lives in Arkansas, and me
            in the Philly area). So I called the Smokey people and found out that
            they had sold out of them. But over the course of the next 1 1/2
            years, they kept supplying me with leads of stores and people who may
            have them. And I did eventually find one, and have carried it ever
            since as the replacement to my swiss army knife (which I still do
            carry in my nursing equipment bag). I guess it was this search that
            first made me aware of knives and to begin appreciating "Man's first
            tool" on a different level. And now I know first hand what Gregji sees
            in the Chris Reeves, Benchmade autos, and balisongs knives he is
            interested in, and the understanding Sri Jason has of the craftmanship
            involved in their making. Similarly, since seeing Kill Bill 1 this
            weekend, I can see why Jason's son is into swords, and that the
            quality of sword construction it demonstrated verified in a way the
            supposition that "knives can be consciousness evolving objects".
            PS: Seeing the popularity and political power of the NRA, I have no
            doubt that gun shows have an enormous and enthusiastic turnout.
          • Nina
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 28, 2004
              Wow, Bob, I hadn't realized how enduringly helpful
              as well as friendly those Smokey Mountain knife shop
              folks are! The website is great, but you don't get
              the full effect unless you visit their store in
              person. It is a slice of the Smokey Mountains, a la
              Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg - not quite as over-the-top,
              mind you. Big heavy timbered stuff... and probably a
              chainsaw carving of a bear or two. Knives are nice with
              a little kitsch, you know... Lest you think it is all
              about knives, they also have quite an array of kitchen
              gadgets and "stuff"... something like a general store
              on steroids. Jam-packed full-o-stuff with something of
              a carnival atmosphere. My parents live within a longish
              driving distance of the store and it is where we went to
              find some wood carving knives for my dad.

              Nice story, btw.

              Nina
            • Gene Poole
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 28, 2004
                >medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > We now have about 375 members, and our sister/brother
                > meditation/nonduality/enlightenment/etc sites have as many as a little
                > over double this. I recently became interested in collecting and
                > learning how to make knives. I couldn't possibly tell you where or why
                > this yen came into my consciousness, but there it was, and so I sought
                > out information on the web about this (what I thought was) somewhat
                > esoteric hobby/calling/material desire/whatever. Well, it turns out
                > that one group I belong to has 24,000 members, another 16,000, and
                > another 15,000. So, I guess what I'm wondering is what the
                > significance of there being such a greater apparent interest in knives
                > than in consciousness evolving subjects.
                > Peace and blessings,
                > Bob
                > PS: Anybody know where I can get some good damascus blades at
                > reasonable prices?:-)

                Spiritually oriented groups disdain
                cutting remarks; and everyone wants
                to be on the cutting edge.

                A good knife used well, never loses its temper.

                Participating in spiritual groups, can be
                a test of one's mettle.

                A private or smallish smithy/forging
                company can produce damascus steel
                for you. You can even learn how to
                design the billets, to render into the
                very patterns you desire.

                If you really get into it, you can buy/make
                your own forge setup, including a nifty
                automatic 'pounder', and stationary
                metal-cutting bandsaw, so that you can
                design and produce your own billets of
                damascus. You can fold them as much as
                you want.

                I find metal-working, especially forge
                work, to be a fine 'meditation'.

                ==Gene Poole==
              • no by
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 30, 2004
                  Dear Bob, dear Gene Poole, dear Readers,

                  even as German the language English
                  as my second choice is more difficult
                  to write and sometimes to understand.

                  From this letter of my friend Gene Poole,
                  well known and - in my way - respected
                  meanwhil as worthy friend may I add my point?

                  ''Forge work on metal'' needs a higher heat
                  than i.e. cutting plum-cake into pieces -
                  don't you agree about this natural law?

                  When you get closer to this heat of fire,
                  have you experienced uncomfortable reactions
                  - like sweat, a desire to escape, to leave the place?

                  Therefore to stand the heat of the fire, symbolized
                  as ''hell fire'' in some cultures, from my P.o.V.
                  a special conditioned training is inevitable.

                  From my family and culture heritage this
                  hard education is for ''warriors'' only -
                  weak ones perish, die or leave in disgust.

                  Gene Poole gets by the years of our friendship
                  stronger and stronger in this warrior training,
                  our longtime relationship brings sweets after sweat?

                  Some rare ones with a longing for the ''heat of the fire'',
                  some rare ones stand hot, hard forge work,
                  real rare ones meditate on mind-knife, lovely art of attacks!

                  n0by

                  sheltering energy for my friend Gene Poole:

                  http://www.n0by.de/2/rst/geenepool.htm

                  Spiritually oriented groups disdain
                  cutting remarks; and everyone wants
                  to be on the cutting edge.

                  A good knife used well, never loses its temper.

                  Participating in spiritual groups, can be
                  a test of one's mettle.

                  A private or smallish smithy/forging
                  company can produce damascus steel
                  for you. You can even learn how to
                  design the billets, to render into the
                  very patterns you desire.

                  If you really get into it, you can buy/make
                  your own forge setup, including a nifty
                  automatic 'pounder', and stationary
                  metal-cutting bandsaw, so that you can
                  design and produce your own billets of
                  damascus. You can fold them as much as
                  you want.

                  I find metal-working, especially forge
                  work, to be a fine 'meditation'.

                  ==Gene Poole==

                  http://n0by.de

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 30, 2004
                    --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, no by
                    <n0by4you@y...> wrote:
                    > Dear Bob, dear Gene Poole, dear Readers,
                    >
                    > even as German the language English
                    > as my second choice is more difficult
                    > to write and sometimes to understand.
                    >
                    > From this letter of my friend Gene Poole,
                    > well known and - in my way - respected
                    > meanwhil as worthy friend may I add my point?
                    >
                    > ''Forge work on metal'' needs a higher heat
                    > than i.e. cutting plum-cake into pieces -
                    > don't you agree about this natural law?
                    >
                    > When you get closer to this heat of fire,
                    > have you experienced uncomfortable reactions
                    > - like sweat, a desire to escape, to leave the place?
                    >
                    > Therefore to stand the heat of the fire, symbolized
                    > as ''hell fire'' in some cultures, from my P.o.V.
                    > a special conditioned training is inevitable.
                    >
                    > From my family and culture heritage this
                    > hard education is for ''warriors'' only -
                    > weak ones perish, die or leave in disgust.
                    >
                    > Gene Poole gets by the years of our friendship
                    > stronger and stronger in this warrior training,
                    > our longtime relationship brings sweets after sweat?
                    >
                    > Some rare ones with a longing for the ''heat of the fire'',
                    > some rare ones stand hot, hard forge work,
                    > real rare ones meditate on mind-knife, lovely art of attacks!
                    >
                    > n0by

                    > sheltering energy for my friend Gene Poole:

                    > http://www.n0by.de/2/rst/geenepool.htm

                    Dear nOby,

                    Well said, in any language. When we want to get a dirty white sheet
                    clean, we drown it, put caustic substances on it, grind them in,
                    drown them again, put them through the wringer, and finally iron them
                    out with heat and pressure. And finally they are pure and clean.
                    Similarly, as you point to, when we want to turn iron into steel, we
                    heat it to the extreme and burn out the impurities. We then pound it
                    into a usuable shape. This is analagous to what the seeker can expect
                    on his quest to inner freedom, and meditation, self-enquery, and
                    other so-called spiritual practices can be seen as the tools and
                    actions to use to remove the impurities and make us strong and usable
                    (by, as AA would put it, "The Higher Power"). And yes, it is a
                    warrior ethic that leads to being ready, willing, and able to go
                    through the spiritual fire.

                  • Gene Poole
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 30, 2004
                      >no by <n0by4you@y...> wrote:

                      > Dear Bob, dear Gene Poole, dear Readers,
                      >
                      > even as German the language English
                      > as my second choice is more difficult
                      > to write and sometimes to understand.
                      >
                      > From this letter of my friend Gene Poole,
                      > well known and - in my way - respected
                      > meanwhil as worthy friend may I add my point?

                      Thanks, n00b.

                      > ''Forge work on metal'' needs a higher heat
                      > than i.e. cutting plum-cake into pieces -
                      > don't you agree about this natural law?

                      It is yes, a matter of higher heat,
                      needed to allow shaping of metal.

                      But more than heat, really; the issue
                      is TIME.

                      An instance; how much time does
                      pass, before coal, becomes diamond,
                      even at the very high heat and pressure,
                      in the environment deep inside the
                      planet?

                      It is not an 'instant' process; and
                      because it can happen only in
                      certain ways, over a period of time,
                      'impatience' will not hasten the
                      transformation.

                      The same with metal forge work;
                      the 'finished product' will take an
                      amount of time, during which the
                      skill of the smithy is deployed.

                      Impatience, will serve only to dull
                      the skill, and also, will result in an
                      inferior end-product.

                      One who fires the forge for metal-
                      work, knows already, the factor of
                      time, and knows that there is no
                      short-cut. In this, we see the difference
                      between the master smithy, and the
                      impatient 'spiritual seeker'.

                      > When you get closer to this heat of fire,
                      > have you experienced uncomfortable reactions
                      > - like sweat, a desire to escape, to leave the place?

                      I and the forge, are one.

                      > Therefore to stand the heat of the fire, symbolized
                      > as ''hell fire'' in some cultures, from my P.o.V.
                      > a special conditioned training is inevitable.
                      >
                      > From my family and culture heritage this
                      > hard education is for ''warriors'' only -
                      > weak ones perish, die or leave in disgust.

                      Skill is learned over time; and skill is deployed
                      over time, to produce a desired product.

                      The heat, the skill, are for nothing,
                      if time is not respected.

                      Hitting harder, does not replace the
                      skill of the hit; the shaping of hot metal,
                      requires 'finesse', skill won by experience,
                      which is acquired by the virtue of patience,
                      and that patience, is simply an acknowledgment
                      of the reality of the relationship between
                      metal, and heat.

                      > Gene Poole gets by the years of our friendship
                      > stronger and stronger in this warrior training,
                      > our longtime relationship brings sweets after sweat?

                      My 'reward' for the sweat, is to be
                      able to exert my efforts with 'finesse';
                      so that, I am able to shape into fine detail,
                      what before, had been a crude lump.

                      > Some rare ones with a longing for the ''heat of the fire'',
                      > some rare ones stand hot, hard forge work,
                      > real rare ones meditate on mind-knife, lovely art of attacks!
                      >
                      > n0by

                      'Attack' is relative, is it not?

                      Does the tumor perceive the
                      scalpel of the surgeon as 'attack'?

                      And is the motive of the surgeon,
                      'attack', or is it creative, to preserve
                      and prolong the life of the patient?

                      These are among the issues,
                      which must be explored and
                      understood, before the Big Brain
                      can finally get about its real
                      business.

                      When these issues are understood,
                      the fulfillment of resonance with
                      one's true nature can be had; and
                      then, one is functioning above the
                      level of dire conflict.

                      ==Gene Poole==

                      > Spiritually oriented groups disdain
                      > cutting remarks; and everyone wants
                      > to be on the cutting edge.
                      >
                      > A good knife used well, never loses its temper.
                      >
                      > Participating in spiritual groups, can be
                      > a test of one's mettle.
                      >
                      > A private or smallish smithy/forging
                      > company can produce damascus steel
                      > for you. You can even learn how to
                      > design the billets, to render into the
                      > very patterns you desire.
                      >
                      > If you really get into it, you can buy/make
                      > your own forge setup, including a nifty
                      > automatic 'pounder', and stationary
                      > metal-cutting bandsaw, so that you can
                      > design and produce your own billets of
                      > damascus. You can fold them as much as
                      > you want.
                      >
                      > I find metal-working, especially forge
                      > work, to be a fine 'meditation'.
                      >

                      > ==Gene Poole==
                      >

                      > http://n0by.de

                    • no by
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004

                           Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:50:38 -0000
                           From: "Gene Poole" <gene_poole@...>
                        Subject: Re: Knives vs Meditation: Forging a-head

                        Thanks, n00b.

                        But more than heat, really; the issue
                        is TIME.

                        Thanks, G.P. - great Priest or something like this? ;-)

                        It looks like, you're right. Sure you are,
                        otherwise, who am I, to talk against your truth?

                        That brings my weird warrior's word work
                        to the point of _my_ real issues:

                        HELPLESSNESS!

                        My words are helpless, all what I've done,
                        utterly helpless - a growing helpless towards death!

                        My floppy finger in service of my mind, ego, existence,
                        my readers reactions or actions against/for or YAHHHN...

                        HELPLESSNESS!

                        Again and again I have to admit, ''I'' can ''do''nothing'' -
                        nothing can be done - like time runs out with each breath.

                        In this helplessness my way to the exit should surrender,
                        even in this I'm helpless - it happens or not -

                        Like friendship, enemies, love, hate or YAAAAHNNN,
                        helpless I am, helplessness is the issue, _my_ issue!

                        n0by

                        helpless

                        even to lazy to look up the dic,
                        who this word needs to written: HELPLESSNESS!

                        Helpless to share my helpless missing understading
                        for my helplessness - really I, I, I would prefer to help myself !

                        But WHO AM I?

                        helpless

                        endless

                        helpless

                        sobsobsob

                        http://n0by.de

                        Do you Yahoo!?
                      • Nina
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004
                          Connection found between knives and meditation...

                          Nina

                          . . .

                          http://www.throwzini.com/issue_91.html

                          2. GUEST COLUMN:

                          KNIFE THROWING THERAPY
                          by Jim Tengler

                          Hello, just thought I'd share a little something about what I
                          call "KTT" or "Knife Throwing Therapy". To fill you in quickly, I
                          have been throwing knives off and on for most of my life. I'm 41 now.
                          No competition or anything, just having fun.

                          About four and a half years ago I was in a bad motorcycle accident,
                          broke a lot of bones and had eight surgeries to try to repair some of
                          it. To make a long story short, I ended up with severe chronic pain
                          in a few areas.

                          One of the methods of trying to fight chronic pain is meditation and
                          one form of this meditation is called distractive meditation. What
                          that means is finding something that you have to concentrate on and
                          focus to help distract your mind from focusing on the pain. In the
                          process of finding something I could focus on and stay with for that
                          I decided to use knife throwing, since its something I love and you
                          need to focus on.

                          So I set up a target in the back yard and I've been throwing everyday
                          for months now. It turns out to be fantastic therapy for the pain and
                          a great way to relieve stress and a focused way to relieve anger and
                          frustration.

                          Plus my nine-year-old daughter who always wants to do stuff with Dad
                          has picked up the sport and loves it. And to be fair, when she really
                          focuses she can sometimes throw better than me. Kinda embarrasses me
                          sometimes but she's a natural.

                          Well that's about all. Just thought I'd pass on that knife throwing
                          could even have some medical benefits to it.

                          Happy throwing and stay safe.

                          Jim Tengler